5.0 out of 5 stars Ethics where there is no consensus, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat: Why It's So Hard to Think Straight About Animals (P.S.) (Paperback)
In all the great stories about animals Herzog offers, the entertainment value takes a back seat to ethical consideration. There's the ethics of cock fighting compared to the ethics of factory farming chickens. The ethics of laboratory testing on animals compared to the ethics of meat packing plants. The ethics of all the former vegetarians, the dog breeders, or the cultural quirks over which animals are considered pets, or food, or enemies to be exterminated from the face of the earth. Herzog explores the dilemmas, finding there's clearly no consensus on morality towards animals. It's a discussion somewhere near the frontier edge of moral awareness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable romp through our relationship with animals, 16 Feb 2011
As a vegetarian who believes in medical vivisection I was interested to see how Hal would explain attitudes such as mine. I'd read an article by him in the New Scientist and thought he had an interesting perspective on an emotive issue that few people can talk rationally about.

The book was very readable; I read it on holiday and managed to get through the whole thing in a day. He mixed his style between anecdotes about individuals he's met's relationships with animals and scientific studies; initially I was sceptical about including individual anecdotes but with a few exceptions they tend to focus on interesting people and give a personal face to the more scientific studies he deals with later.

It raises some good questions as well; particularly towards our treatment of different members of the same species of animals. Why are we up in arms about cock-fighting but most people don't care about battery chicken farming? Why do people campaign against rats being used in experiments but not about them being trapped during pest control? I've found some of the issues in the book staying with me, even though its now been several weeks since I finished it.

Thoroughly recommend it if you have even a passing interest in ethics, anthrozoology or animal rights, although be prepared for some uncomfortable questions to be raised...

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 17 April 2011
Loved the book.
Was good for the education course I 'm doing, Animal Study (Anthrozoology).
Arrived in good time.
It has witty stories from people and their animals, which can be from a different point of view of the reader but was able to discuss with other readers on my course.
Was encouraged to read by lecturer and would encourage other to read, if have an interest in the relationship between man and animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, difficult to put down., 28 Feb 2014
I'll admit when I read that he would try to not be biased in any way I kind of rolled my eyes. I think most people are familiar in how statistics and data can be twisted and manipulated to give you a totally objective look. And just how often that happens in these 'unbiased accounts'.

But he was true to his word. And the result was a book with no clear ending, no summary. If you're reading this to try and get the last word on animal ethics, you won't find it here. But read it anyway because I've not read anything else that will explain to you so clearly as to why you'll never find what you're looking for.

As an "ethical vegan" this challenged my view points on a number of levels, to be honest I came out of the experience feeling stronger in my own beliefs but I can guarantee that others came out feeling different.

All this does really is throw all the cards on the table and present them in a way which anyone can understand. You've got all the data and all the studies you could ever need to formulate your own opinion and find where your own line is.

All in all a really brilliant book. Highly recommended for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, largely unbiased look into our attitudes towards animals, 2 Feb 2014
I couldn't put this book down. It was just so interesting!

In the book, Herzog discusses how our (as humans) views regarding animals have many inconsistencies and conflict each other. As someone who is for animal rights, I found myself questioning some of the ways I think, and it actually made me make a few changes in my life.

This book has details of studies with some really interesting findings and I really learned a lot.

I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 19 Oct 2013
Really enjoyed this book it is informative without being accusing or pushy in the opinions expressed. The conservatories also are fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 7 July 2013
A very inspiring book. Informative yet funny and interesting. How sad it is that people do not care about animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and thought provoking read, 21 Mar 2013
Great to find a book that raises and explores many of the questions I have asked myself over the years.

ARRAY(0xb1cac450)