5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand all the bad reviews...
... I think this book is amazing!!

Published on 1 Jan 2011 by Littlelinney

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, outdated, far too religious
I was looking for a book that could give me practical tips and tricks on dating. I read and loved the "Why men love bitches" and "Why men marry bitches" and wanted something similar from a men's view. I was very disappointed.

Published 22 months ago by Reader n+1

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand all the bad reviews..., 1 Jan 2011
... I think this book is amazing!!

To start off with, I'm 21. I don't think this book is at all old fashioned. This book is the reason why the guy I'm currently dating opens the car door for me every single time HE takes ME out. Which is every time I see him. This is the reason he lets me walk inside and outside through the door he is holding open for me EVERY TIME there is a door in sight. Girls. This book teaches you how to behave so that your man treats you like a lady - and I don't know about you, but being treated like a lady makes me feel AMAZING!

There is a giggle on every page of this book and it is SO easy to read. I have reread it quite a few times and every time it gets me laughing. This advice is coming from a man, so in that respect, it's refreshing but there's also that feeling that you know it's probably better than some books like this written by women. There are real life scenarios in this book that hammer home some very basic, very simple points about men, from a man's perspective. That include how you know if he thinks you're a keeper, and how to keep a man happy in very simple ways.

After reading this book - I love men more than I thought I did before. They are such simple creatures, and you know what? All you have to do is know that you're worth their time and effort, and the rest just falls into place.

I haven't tried to get picked up every time I meet the guy I'm dating. He just offers. I didn't ask to have him open the car door. He just did. I don't ask for doors to be held open, I just smile and say thank you after every single time. I don't ask for him to pay for everything, I let him. I didn't initiate the hand holding, or the cuddle in the cimema. He did all of the above, and I let him. I acted like a lady, with the knowledge of a man. And to this book, I owe my thanks, because he seems to be perfectly happy to do all of the above!!

Don't hesitate girls, buy this book. I read it in one sitting and I still can't put it down!

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, outdated, far too religious, 24 Jan 2013

It actually suggests that you shouldnt have sex with THE ONE for 3 entire months. Its fine to play hard to get for 5-10 or lets say even 15 dates, but 3 months? oh please....

It also suggests that you should ask the guy ON the first date or BEFORE (on a phone call) what is his view on relationships, whats his relationship with his mother, father and how he sees an ideal one. Crazy. It would scare the hell out of most men.

While the idea behind all these books are the very same, and there are even identical sentences in it, this book is old fashioned and outdated. It gives you discussions that may have taken place in the 90's but definitely not in 2013. Act like a lady doesnt mean you have to speak like Audrey Hepburn. You can get over the sme message in a less formal way. There are far too many references to God, the Lord, Jesus, etc. I am a 34 year old, non religious European woman. Instead of putting it on every second page, he could have added a section on religious dating.

I didnt find the book useful at all, it was not entertaining either. I recommend the "Why men marry bitches". It is far more pratical, useful and very entertaining to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read, dont believe the bad reviews, 7 Feb 2011
Firstly i cannot understand how this book got bad reviews, i suspect the women who gave such reviews have never had any male friends, and base there naive assumptions on men based around dinner parties they attend where they make small talk with there friends husbands.

i used to be ''one of the lads'' , i had huge group of male friends.. went on holidays with them, was out with them every weekend.. and im telling you now that 95% of them are cheats and think with there genitals and the way that Steve decribes men is very accurate. My boyfriend is my best friend and hes told me some of the stuff that Steve mentions in the book many a time before.

Of course, some things he says are opinions.. such as every decent man should go to church... but the basic principles are all absolutly on the money.. it was strange reading it because everything he said i could relate to my boyfriend and the way he acts..

i would highly recommend this book to all women, it definetly gives you an insight and although i knew quite a lot of the stuff already due to me having a lot of inside knoledge on men due to my friendships with them.. it definatly taught me some things that i will be applying, and il be handing this book down to my daugthers 1 day.

only reason i havent given it 5 stars is because i thought it could of been longer and he could of gone into more issues.

be open minded and willing to accept that men are different to women..

update 2012..... I felt the need to edit my review and add things to it, as reading some of the bad reviews i felt i must defend Steve and the message he is trying to put across.

He is NOT underminding women, he is telling you how IT IS and how it is actually US that control the relationship. Just because he encourages women to use their feminine charm and assert yourself as a woman doesnt mean he is asking you to belittle yourself, far from it! He is simply stating the fact, if you want the best from your man, then be a lady in every way, so be can be the man that you need!

Remember that we are HUMAN. yes we live in the 21st century and in an era of equal oppertunity, and rightfully so, but men are MEN and women are WOMEN.

I love being feminine and everything that comes with it, and personally as a woman i like to be percieved as sexy but in a classy way and i love being protected by my boyfriend... I like being his possession but that doesnt mean that i or Steve mean ''possession'' as literally some object or door mat, we mean being a mans queen!

And youve got to remember girls... men dont ever really grow up. just like small children or dogs you have to have standards and boundarys with them, or they tend to take the micky in a relationship!

There are aspects of men i find hard to stomach and i cant comprehend, but honestly, what Steve is saying is the TRUTH and if you dont like it then continue to live in blissful ignorance.

Women need to realise that being born in our gender is something to be celebrated, we dont need to be equal to men in every single way. In a lot of ways we are stronger then them but i think every woman should revel in her sexuality and let the girls be the girls and let the boys be the boys, and realise ITS NOT BELITTLING, its only belitting to assume there is something wrong with being a lady and letting him be a man!

ok rant over haha! enjoy the book x

1.0 out of 5 stars bit cliché, 9 May 2013
I purchased this book after seeing the film, thinking it would be hilarious and insightful. To be honest in my opinion its quite sexist and I'm no crazy feminist but steve harvey comes across as if he is speaking for the whole male population, his view point is regards women as objects. Explaining clearly that women are the homemakers, we are thwre ro service and serve our men to gain there respect, if not its our fault if men are led astray and cheat on us. A few parts were quite insightful and I definitely think you need to take a highlighter to the book to find any information you think may apply to your relationship or life. I know this isn't a professional self help book its far from it...I suppose it serves its purpose as general advice from a talk show host.

I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on this at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars A mistake, 3 Mar 2013
On a whim downloaded this last night onto my Mac - read it in less than an hr and quite frankly regretted spending my money. There was absolutely no value in it whatsoever. Pretty much common sense. Women, have some self respect! that's it - in 5 words - where the 'thinking like a man' comes into it...no idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! Tried & Tested, 18 May 2011
Not only is Steve funny but he now writes the truth. He writes in a simple and concise language which is easy to digest and most importantly remember! He magically uses his life experiences as a father, husband and man to offer us women a clear and direct balance into the minds of men. As they say "practice makes perfect" so I did, using the chapter The Five Questions Every Woman Should Ask Before Getting in Too Deep, Question 4: What do you THINK about me? And Question 5: How do you FEEL about me? Firstly they ARE 2 very different questions warranting 2 very different answers. In order for me to try this I had to truly "Over-stand" as opposed to just "understand". I ask the first question to a male friend of mine who has been hanging around for a good few years and with hindsight, implied that he was very interested. I ask him the first question (What do you think about me?). He said "you're very beautiful, intelligent, and independent; you attain very high standards to which you really know what you want from a relationship and a partner in order to build a future. You are in NO rush in meeting this person and will not compromise your virtue for fun. Although, you may have difficulty finding this person that is if he really exists". With a smile on my face and feeling very good about myself, I believed the persona I have been projecting to men was working. I asked him the second question (How do you feel about me?) He replied, "I feel like I'd really like to have a passionate embrace with you" I repeated the question several time to ensure the understood and he just repeated his answer.
Had I had not read this book I would have believed that this friend of mine (whom I have never dated) was secretly really into me.................. I now realised that what he was in fact saying was "you have such high standards to which I cannot comprehend or fulfil, I believe that no man can, or will be willing to and you will be waiting a very long time (not in your life time) to meet him, so I'd like to have a sexual encounter with you"
I am still in shock! Girlfriends, if you are planning to get in a relationship, READ THIS BOOK.

1.0 out of 5 stars I cannot believe this got published. Or that I bought it., 20 July 2014
Sarah (Corbridge, UK) - See all my reviews
If I ended up in a relationship as a result of following the advice in this book, I would be in the wrong relationship. If my current relationship changed as a result of following the advice in this book, it would have been because I manipulated the man I love. Anyone from the 21st century need not apply (unless you want a man from the 20th century). Unbelievable gender stereotype-perpetuating tripe. It's not that these things aren't true for many men and women - but this book assumes the worst of people, instead of hoping for actual authentic connection. Deleted from my kindle and ashamed to have bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chauvinistic and religious claptrap, 25 Aug 2014
This must be the worst relationship book I've ever read. It may possibly have been appropriate 50 years ago but Steve Harvey is either a chauvinist or living in a time warp.

The second half of the book was so irritating I couldn't finish it. Did you know you should never date a man unless he has accepted the Lord into his life, or that every man puts his family second in his life behind the Lord?

Apparently a man won't allow his woman to have male friends. He will however reluctantly tolerate her having female friends.

It galled me to give this one star, but it isn't possible to give it zero.

1.0 out of 5 stars utter garbage, 18 Mar 2013
This book is written by a man who believes if a man isnt into "god" hes not a suitable boyfriend/partner, and that its a good idea to introduce your new man to your kids immediately! He writes this book as if every woman is looking for a husband or potential replacement father to her kids! He advises asking questions BEFORE the first date, regarding a guys life plans etc. This would make any man run a mile! And words are cheap, actionsspeak volumes ladies, dont listen to this guy, hes off his head!

1.0 out of 5 stars Steve Harvey is a hypocrite, 18 Dec 2011
Having read alot of the varying reviews I really wasnt sure whether I wanted to spend my hard earned money on this book but being open minded I decided to read it for myself and form my own opinion. One of the first things that annoyed me was that the author discouraged his wife to continue the sports she enjoyed-diving and parasailing because he couldnt handle it! He acted like a child on the dive boat,making such a fuss and asking the instructors to bring his wife back up from the dive, undermining her capabilities. She gave up these pursuits to pacify him. Now just turn the tables and I can assure you that most men if asked to give up a sport they had a passion for, would not.
Further in the book he even writes how much he has a passion and thrill for fishing on the deck of a boat on the open water;the exhilaration of catching a fish and how he "craves the sudden explosion of adrenaline". His wife didn't throw her toys out of the pram and persuaded him not to go fishing because he may have fallen overboard in his pursuit of a sport HE loves!
So he now has his once "adventurous" wife at home cooking for him!
This man is very open with how men view women. I was hoping this book would guide me.In my opinion it has put me off wanting to be with a man!
This book shows how clearly men are focused on one thing- the "cookie" and exposes men as manipulative to get what they want out of a relationship and that women had basically 'tow the line' or their man will find "cookie" with someone else.
Is that really fair to ask women to get standards?- I'd call that double standards on his part.
Yes I definitely get your drift Steve Harvey.You say men consider women as prey! What a horrible thought.
I wouldnt bother wasting your money on this book.