5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie's New York Party Starts Here...
Published on 25 April 2011 by David Stevenson

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor performance by an otherwise great author
Published on 24 Jun 2011 by shopzilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie's New York Party Starts Here..., 25 April 2011
Following on from the success of the first Sex and the City prequel, Candace Bushnell has written another surefire (what does surefire even mean?) hit. After the events of the last book, Carrie's finally made it to New York, attending a real writing program, navigating her way around Manhattan and (most importantly) she's meeting people, aided by the surprise cliffhanger at the end of The Carrie Diares, Samantha Jones! :D

Once again, along with its predecessor, I loved it! Carrie's on her way to becoming the Carrie we first met in 1998, but she's still a teenager - something fans both old and new can appreciate. The introductions of Samantha and particuarly Miranda have you laughing out loud. And for those who were genuinely distraught at the theft of Carrie's 'Carrie' bag, don't worry!

Bushnell has a truly unique writing style, something that is instantly readable but not dumbed down or simplified. She has Carrie's ponderings about friendships, men and Manhattan drawn perfectly, and the general characterization of other people within the story is truly unique.

Carrie's teenage voice is so relatable, and I can admit that in the year between the publications of both The Carrie Diaries and Summer and the City, it actually felt like I was waiting for a catch up with a old friend. This is what Bushnell's writing does so well - she makes you geuninely care for the characters and want to know more about them.

And once again, the ending of the book is just PERFECT, I am a little ashamed to say I squealed a little bit. Signed up to write another two books for teenage audiences, one can only hope Bushnell continues with Carrie.

Get carried away!

5.0 out of 5 stars read it in two days., 24 May 2011
Aieshea Wheeler (uk) - See all my reviews
i was apprehensive when i purchased 'Summer and the city' and id read good and bad reviews. however i read the book in two days. i loved it. im a big fan of sex and the city and i would recommend any one who loves the show will love the book. the book has carrie arriving in new york and explains how she met samantha, miranda and charlotte. its a must read. im looking forward to what Candace Bushnell has next in store for Carrie's Diaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 18 Aug 2011
I've read a few of Candace Bushnell's books now and
This has been my favourite. Summer in a City is a funny, easy read and would make a good holiday book. It is the story of how Carrie met Miranda and Samantha. A fun read and worth readimg if you like the Carrie Diaries (1).

4.0 out of 5 stars young carrie Bradshaw, 8 May 2014
Excellent prequel to the sex and the city show. We find out how the girls met and carries childhood into coming of age 18. I would recommend this to fans of the TV show

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Mar 2014
captivating and inspiring read. it makes you want to drop everything and run to new York to be a writer.

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor performance by an otherwise great author, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: Summer and the City (Carrie Diaries) (Hardcover)
This was a very disappointing book. I usually love books by this author, I particularly LOVED One Fifth Avenue and Trading Up. I wouldn't doubt if this novel was written in one of those situations where the author got a huge advance for this as the second to The Carrie Diaries and it seemed rushed off & poorly written. I am a huge fan of Sex and the City, but unfortunately the character of Carrie in this novel makes me re-consider my opinion of her completely. Whilst not wanting to give the storyline away I fully agree with the references the author makes to the opinion of Carrie (by her school friends) as being shallow, spoiled, and quite frankly completely uninteresting. At least other main characters in her novels - whilst often mean or unbearable actually have a personality &/or an emotive strain you can completely relate to. Very Disappointed Ms Bushnell!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 19 Jun 2014
Purchased this book for something easy to read whilst I'm three days overdue on the arrival of our first baby. Kept me adequately busy for a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A top of must read books list for everyone, 23 May 2014
Totally couldn't put it down just loved everything about it
I even felt as if I was there I'm New York with Carrie
It's a totally get yourself lost in book and never let me down for one minute after I found the Carrie Diaries as amazing as this one
Must have read after the Carrie Diaries xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie is back!, 31 Mar 2014
Great book for Carrie lovers :) After "The Carrie diaries" we can see how her life in the big city begin. The book is funny sometimes and realistic in some situations. Great to read for those who like "Sex and the city". I recommend it a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 28 Jan 2014
I'm shocked at how much I got into this book: it's so entertaining. Each character is presented perfectly. Perfect for fans of SITC

Summer and the City (Carrie Diaries)
Summer and the City (Carrie Diaries) by Candace Bushnell (Hardcover - 26 April 2011)
11.76
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available