Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 18 July 2011
Probably the best thing about this book was the hero and heroine and how...unsympathetic they were. That is, Marcelline was not your usual perfect, flawless heroine and Clevedon wasn't too unrealistic a hero (i.e. the type of alpha man who is a God among mortals with superhuman abilities). Marcelline is written as mercenary, unethical character which may not be appealing to some. Sometimes I did have to pause and wonder at just how cold hearted she was, right until the very end but Loretta Chase writes in such a way that her characters are believable people, not just fictional creatures that you could never picture in real life. I also loved how witty the conversations were, Loretta Chase is an exceptional writer (the book is a solid 3.5 stars but the extra half is just for that alone.)

The only thing I would say is that, yes there was chemistry between the two leads (A LOT) but I felt like the love story was the secondary part of the book and the details of dressmaking (Marcellines and her family's trade) was the main attraction (which I found interesting so didn't see it as much of a negative). I wish we knew a bit more about the hero, however, as he was very much overshadowed by the heroine. I also felt the ending was quite anti-climatic and not that satisfying but still...that won't prevent me from recommending this book as a very good read.
on 17 December 2011
I have a slowly flourishing love affair with Loretta Chase's novels. The first one I read was Lord Perfect. I thought it was okay, but I didn't love it. It didn't quite make it to the Keeper's Shelf. However, repeated recommendations brought me back to her and I'm so glad they did. I gobbled up Mr Impossible, the Last Hellion and Lord of Scoundrel's and I realised that Chase is an author who does comedy, exquisite detail, wit and romance.

When I saw the plot for Silk is for Seduction I was intrigued. Anyone who loves historical romance has a soft spot for the dresses. Who wouldn't? It was a great period for dresses. And knowing Chase's passion for exquisitely placed historical detail I knew it was going to be good.

And it is.

In my opinion Chase has excelled herself with this novel and taken a leap beyond even her excellence in Mr Impossible etc. Marcelline, our fiercely determined and quick-witted heroine, keeps the hero on the back foot from the get go. Chemistry and tension sizzle throughout every page and the secondary characters are hilarious and beautifully imagined. It does take some wild leaps of fancy (a modiste setting up shop in a Duke's house) but such bouts of outlandishness is acknowledged and frankly, it is a novel. Twists, turns and unexpected events are what it's all about - so long as they are backed up with real romance. And in this book, they are.

And the dresses are beautifully imagined. I found myself standing in the shoes of the haut monde that crowded Marcelline's shop. Damn it, I wanted to see that dress too!

But it doesn't detract from the romance one bit. It would have been so easy to make Marcelline a cinderella character being rescued by the Duke. In fact, she is as hard as nails (in a graceful, witty and warm-hearted ways) and holds her own every step of the way. They are a perfect match and it's an enormously satisfying book.

Up there as one of my top two historical romances of 2011, along with Joanna Bourne's Black Hawk - a very different, but equally wonderful novel.
on 22 July 2011
Marcelline is a modiste, and she wants the Duke of Clevedon to allow her to dress his soon-to-be fiance. So follows a game of cat and mouse, where these two stalk and try to outwit and out-seduce each other.

If you read historical romances and your favourite bits are the inevitable: beautiful, stupid virgin heroine; perfect, moral 'rake' hero; the bit where the heroine gets kidnapped by the villain; and the unequivocal HEA; then I admit that Silk is for Seduction is possibly not for you.

If however, you like the characters to be human, heroines to hold their own, and heroes that act in a manner which isn't perfect, you will love this book.

There is a good amount of historical detail in the dresses, which for me didn't detract from the story - quite the opposite. And I liked the fact that unlike most romances, there was a genuine conflict between the characters, both emotional and social (not 'created' conflict by misunderstandings). She's a shop keeper and no one ever pretends that this isn't an issue and that the whole thing isn't a scandal. The other characters are great. Proper, fleshed out people with personalities. Clara, the 'other woman' is lovely, and frankly is far too nice for Clevedon, although don't worry, she has a back bone. I can't wait to see how Sophy gets on with Fox, or maybe Longmore...
on 5 March 2014
I'm a great fan of much of Loretta Chase's work but this book is not one of her best. I found Marcelline's constant wittering about fashion got rather tedious after a while - in fact, I wondered how the hero put up with it. I also disliked the frequency with which the phrase 'Don't be thick!' came up in the dialogue. The book had its moment - but not too many of them, I'm afraid.
on 12 September 2015
This is the first in The Dressmakers series and I loved it so much that I quickly bought the others. Marcelline and her sisters, members of a well-born but infamous family of adventurers, have opened a dress shop and are striving to make it a success. Each sister has a different talent to contribute to the business. Marcelline is the designer and must contrive publicity for her garments. In the course of achieving this she crosses paths with the Duke of Clevedon who is bowled over by her drive and daring in accomplishing her ambitions. Their path to their HEA is difficult and strewn with lively verbal sparring and wonderfully cynical observations of customs, mores and womanswear. There are sumptuous descriptions of the fashions of the time that I relished - google fashion of that era and be amazed at the outrageous confections the women indulged in.
on 27 April 2014
Got totally addicted and could hardly put it down in the -24 hrs it took to read. Loses a star as it took a while to get me interested, seemed a bit obvious/formulaic at the start but once it got going it didn't stop! Good strong female lead, lots of drama, what's not to like?
on 1 October 2015
sadly faded story...disappointing...what happened to the fun, the excitement, the delight, the verve? the quotes are actually better than the writing, which is sad...i want the real loretta to come back...
on 18 January 2014
Liz Carlyle manages to write book after book. You cant go wrong with one of hers if you were undecided. Fantastic!! Do buy!!
on 27 June 2012
i really enjoyed this one a very rivveting story and sensual and yummy but as always some books are ruined by unrealistic situation in this one SPOILER alert the kid is immortal i mean she survive a deadly disease she survives a burning inferno then she survive running in the london streets at night i mean really and all the while her mom immediately assumes shes dead each time all unrealistic she too doesnt ever get told off when the author tells us the heroine was a strict mom another huge error was in half of the book we were told how she needed to avoid the duke for the sake of the good name of her store but has absolutely no problem jumping into his crested carriage and running around the whole day from shop to shop shopping with him and him paying everything if that did not scream scandal back then whAt did just did not fit in with the story line of her constantly claiming they shouldnt be seen together but lets run around together into every well known store while you buy me nice expensive things when two days ago my store burnt down and youre engaged to marry another seriously thats when i just laughed and laughed hard but very nice read overall
on 31 October 2011
Having read, Lord of Scoundrels, The Last Hellion and the meeting the divine Rupert in Mr Impossible I thought to myself 'At last! an american writer who can not only write, but understands the english regency period!!!!' How wrong was I! Although the story is well written the plot can be summed up in one word - drivel. It was at the charity shop within two days of purchase.