Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 28 August 2011
We like the book set. My 5 year old loves the pictures and the characters. The language is easier than stage 3 from "I can read" which is what we bought first. If you compare the difficulty level to the Oxford Reading tree, level 1 from "I can read" might possibly be level 3 from Oxford reading tree.

There are 12 little books in the collection. They are not bound but stapled in the middle. Each one has a different subject, e.g. "short a", "short e" etc. On the first page there is a little review which words you will find in the story, e.g. "sight words" like "all", "and", and the words for the chosen subject "short e vowel sound. They are listed and you are asked to sound them out before the story starts. I found that not very practical because my son really wanted to get on with the story!

He finds the books really cool which is better than what can be said about the Oxford reading tree books (although they are generally fairly funny). The short length of them is actually an advantage as he is not quite as put off as with longer books. That doesn't mean he runs to them every day and wants to read them which I was secretly hoping for. It's really a struggle to get him to read in general though these books hopefully will get us a step further!
on 10 January 2011
Don't be deceived by the box - these are tiny little six page pamphlets measuring 5" by 5". Language too difficult for beginners. Really quite disappointed.
on 10 January 2011
Was a little disappointed in the quality of the packaging and books. The box it came in looks cheap and flimsy. The books themselves only have about 6 pages each, the pictures are good. Books are small.
These books are small. They are only 5" square with 6 pages each. This is not necessarily a disadvantage though. Young children find very small books less intimidating when learning to read. You will find most school reading primers for young children are also quite small. I found my oldest was able to read small books like this with confidence quite a bit before he was able to read a longer book, even the vocabulary in the longer books was easier.

I bought this current set for my 3 year old. He can't read yet, but loves the smaller books, which are just right for his little hands. He has listened to these so many times he has memorised them and can enjoy exploring them on his own, something I consider essential to developing reading readiness.

For older children, these books do focus on phonetic sounds and can be useful as a supplement to reading instruction in school or a more complete phonics programme at home. They are not adequate as a primary resource for reading instruction. They are not strictly phonics readers, and many words can not be decoded only with phonics. There is no progression, and there are some words which are rather difficult for new readers. If you are trying to teach your child to read on your own either as a home educator, or because your child isn't catching on at school, I would strongly recommend either a step by step phonics programme like BOB Books or Hooked on Phonics, and/ or the Oxford Reading Tree. I would recommend these as simple short books for very young children ( ages 2 -5). I would also recommend them as confidence builders for a child who is starting to read ( ages 5 -7), and a way to keep reading fun. These would be excellent for children who have learned to read through whole language but need some background in phonics for spelling, as well as a bit of additional material for a child learning to read through phonics. They are also ideal for children who have not yet discovered that reading really is fun.

We have bought all three sets of super hero phonics books. While I feel these are not adequate as a stand alone reading programme, they are well loved little books in our house, and books like these were very useful as an additional resource in teaching my oldest to read.

In addition to using these as quick stories for my little one, I use the list of words on the front of each page as a spelling list for my 7 year old, as well a refresher course on phonics.
on 17 May 2012
I bought these books for my 5 year old who loves Spiderman. I don't understand why people complain about how short the books are. They are no shorter than the average book a child reads in reception and the perfect length for a bedtime story read by the child. The words are more challenging than anything my son has brought home from school so far, but that doesn't mean that he struggles reading them. He sounds out most of the tricky words without problems and because he loves Spiderman he's paying more attention to the stories. I would recommend these books for boys who have mastered basic phonics and who need something a little more exciting than Chip, Kipper, Floppy & Co...
on 11 January 2012
Great product. Simple little books with plenty to keep boys interested. My five year old has really enjoyed these all the more as he is able to read them alone. Highly recommend. Not the most challenging, but perfect to encourage reading for fun instead of learning.
on 23 October 2012
This is a box of small books (like pamphlets) which are great fun and good to encourage your child to read. My son has loved these from when he got them. The only concern is that wear and tear do take their toll due to the pamphlet nature of the books. I'd recommend this product to anyone with children learning to read.
on 13 May 2013
The stories are great for those little guys who really love superheros! Lots of vocabulary. these are however basis books for Beginners.
on 1 September 2015
These books really encouraged my son to want to read x
on 16 December 2014
son loved this he didn't even know he was learning