5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, beautifully written, highly recommended
I've enjoyed Gretchen Rubin's blog for many months now so was excited to hear about her book. And when I read it? Utterly brilliant. Really! The book is not just the blog printed out; it's a whole different thing.

Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Max

3.0 out of 5 stars Two cheers for Gretchen
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by Simon Bendle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, beautifully written, highly recommended, 27 Mar 2010
Max (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

She writes SO well, such a warm and engaging and personal style. (I'm tempted to read the biographies she'd written before this, even though I wouldn't normally read biographies, just because she writes so well.)

And the content? Fascinating! Trying out lots of things with an open mind, things that others say will make you happy and seeing what it's like.

I can't praise this book highly enough. It's the best book I've read for a long time, fiction or non-fiction. It made me happy just to read it!

And at the end of it? I'm thinking about what makes me happy and how I can try out some of her ideas for myself. And if a book changes how you think or behave, then it's a Very Good Book.

I do hope someone else discovers what a great book this is because of what I'm writing here. That would make me very happy too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Project, 13 Feb 2010
Very well written, thought provoking, well researched, and full of positive and easily achievable ideas - it gives the impression of someone who is most caring, wishing for everyone to be as happy as they can be. Great website too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 29 Oct 2010
Ms. Sally Warner (Brentwood, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, cannot fail to be inspiring, just implementing one or two of Gretchen's ideas has made a difference... Happier daughter, happier hubby, happier me... This book isn't a cure for anything but it's well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars First step to happiness... read Rubin's Book, 13 Feb 2010
I appear to have accidentally read this book in less than 24hrs...
Usually I attempt to savour a good book but Rubin's well balanced blend of personal experiences, relevant quotes from inspirational figures and applications of positive psychology research was too enjoyable to put down.

The Happiness Project - it may not cure cancer or single-handedly rescue you from the paralysis of depression but if you aspire to being more present and better able to savour the little moments of enjoyment that everyday life can reveal, then this book is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly inspiring book..!!!, 7 July 2010
I ordered this book because the title seemed really interesting and not only was I not disappointed, but I found it the most suitable book I could read during this period of my life. It is directed to all those people who are not depressed, but feel there is room for much more conscious happiness in their everyday life. It is very pleasant, the author has a unique writing style and she tackles a subject that at first sight seems very vague with a really structured and at the same time inspiring manner.
This book represents me so much that during most of the passages I felt it could be me writing it. I have already put into practise many of her ideas!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Add a bit of sparkle to your life., 15 May 2010
Kindle Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is not a guide for beating depression, but a great place to find ideas to bring a bit more happiness into your life. The author did not start off unhappy, but in that rut most of us get to from time to time. A great guide to reinvigorating your life and relationships, and adding a spring to your step. Not everything in this book will suit everyone, but there are enough ideas here to give everyone a good choice of ideas. A good book to keep by your bedside to go back to every now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Happiness Project, 14 Feb 2010
Nuria Roca (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
The Happiness Project is a great book for anyone interested in being happy. Very well written, it has an attractive combination of profound insight and practical advice, together with real life anecdotes that make it an easy reading. The structure of monthly goals and resolutions is clear and full of good ideas. Wonderful website also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two cheers for Gretchen, 18 Jun 2012
Simon Bendle (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun (Paperback)
On the plus side there are some good quotes here from all sorts of different writers: Mark Twain, Tolstoy, Erasmus, Jerry Seinfeld. But I found many of Rubin's observations banal. I couldn't see what was interesting about a rich, happy, and happily married writer devoting a year of her life to making herself even more cheerful. And, call me cynical, was this really a genuine Happiness Project - or a Let's-Spend-A-Year-Gathering-Material-For-A-New-Book-About-Happiness Project?

5.0 out of 5 stars A really really thought provoking book, 20 May 2014
This book really made me look at things in a slightly different way and happier. I had it on my kindle but wanted the paperback to annotate and lend to people as it's such a great read.

It's good to know that despite anything really 'wrong' with your life sometimes we all struggle to feel happy.

I have started doing things that don't make me happy to make me happy like tidying as I go or before I leave the house in the morning as I love coming home to a tidy house. Taking life less seriously and laughing by the side of the road when my car broke down. Doing things I used to love colouring in and researching things for fun. Signed up to volunteer etc. I bought 5 identical white bras that I have to wear to work (which I hate having to go shopping for ) and spent out on train tickets Instead of staying home and missing friends and family. Also I have started collecting vintage tea sets as I love them and they look so pretty.

I am currently re reading it after first reading it a year ago to remind myself...looking forward to her next book on habits hopefully this will help me make a habit being happy

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 8 July 2014
As the author herself readily admits, she is a regular woman - not beset by any outlandish challenges or misfortune - trying to be as happy as she can be. She has neither the opportunity nor inclination to do something extreme, like travel around the world or go live in a yurt in her backyard, so she has to make do with what is in front of her. So far, so good.

She decides to tackle her project in a very methodical way and sets herself a challenge for every month. This is where it gets a little exhausting. Gretchen Rubin puts herself through a seemingly unending list of tasks to find the happiness within, ranging from the sensible (clearing clutter) to the bizarre (randomly buying three new magazines every week and forcing herself to read them all). She ploughs through stacks of happiness literature and the book is sprinkled with various quotes and snippets from her research and her own "great truths". Though she never pretends to be writing a scientific work, the avalanche of random two line quotes is a bit underwhelming.

I do applaud her courage for showing a relatively unattractive side of herself and daring to question her own behaviour. I would have been interested to learn more about her career change from a lawyer to a writer, which is not something that's included in the book as it is something that happened before she wrote it.

In summary, am not as blown away as some reviewers seem to be but she makes a few useful discoveries along the way and encourages you to think about your own life, so it could be worth reading just for that.