4.0 out of 5 stars cats back again!
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by H. Ebdon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
Cat has started to have nightmares about being hunted, forced towards a man she feels she knows. But the dreams seem too real to mean nothing. The man, Gregor, is after Cat believing she is his, and not Bones'. He works to steal her from Bones, while Bones does everything he can to keep Cat safe.

But a part of Cat wants to go to Gregor, at the least for...
Published on 11 Aug 2009 by Claire Mill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars cats back again!, 7 Aug 2009
H. Ebdon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Destined for an Early Grave: A Night Huntress Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
Cat's back in the latest of the night huntress novels. Her and her undead lover bones decided to take a break away, god knows they deserve it after everything they've been through but a peaceful break away is off the cards when a mystery vamp starts stalking Cat in her dreams. Even though she doesn't know who he is she can't shake the feeling that she's seen him before. Bones is terrified that his love is in danger and not unjustly after her dreams nearly killed in her in the last book. Arriving in Paris Mencheres is waiting for them. It turns out the mystery man is known as the dream snatcher and he wants Cat and he's willing to do anything to get her. When someone can grab you from your dreams how do you fight back? This book was brilliant, the same standard that I've come to expect from her books. The action was thrilling the suspense gripping and the love scenes sizzling and all round brilliant book I recommend this to everyone that has been gripped by the series but if you have yet to read them get cracking!

4.0 out of 5 stars Creeping Closer to the Grave, 4 Aug 2009
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Cat and Bones are back, and this time they're heading to Paris for a romantic getaway. Except something is haunting Cat's dreams, and Mencheres is waiting for them when they arrive. According to him Cat has a secret ppast - which she doesn't remember - and now the Dreamsnatcher has returned to remind her of it.

Can Cat and Bones see off this new threat without losing each other? And does Mencheres know more than he's letting on?

The fourth Night Huntress novel (Halfway to the Grave,One Foot in the Grave,At Grave's End) sees the return of all the old favourites - including Vlad and Spade - as the angst and psychological tension is cranked up. Plenty more is revealed about vampire society and the rules that govern them as Cat is drawn yet deeper into their world, while the heat and action from the other novels remains.

With twists and troubles galore Cat's journey continues, with many an impediment thrown in her way. Sure, I spotted them all coming, but Frost's style is loaded with so much sarcastic wit and excitement that it's still a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book so far!, 14 April 2011
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Wow! I really enjoyed this novel and it's another great story by Jeaniene Frost. I truly love this series and its closely becoming one of my favourites.

I found this story to be like a roller coaster - it had so many twist and turns but, what great twist and turns they were. It was unbelievably sad at times and it made my heart ache for Bones, Cat, Justina & Rodney. It was also action packed, exciting, funny, & the happy moments make the story complete.

I really enjoyed where the author took Bone's & Cat's story - It proves that not every relationship is perfect, that they both have faults but they are willing to work on them to be together. I am glad they are working on things and I can see many more happy times for them to come.

Overall, a exciting series that I will recommend to any Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance fan :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 11 Aug 2009
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews

But a part of Cat wants to go to Gregor, at the least for answers, she wants the truth about her experience with him. Understandably Bones isn't happy about it and things become tense between the couple as Bones fights to keep Cat safe, and Cat fights for the truth as she tries to keep everyone else safe. Before long, more than Cat's life is in danger, the stakes are upped and the fight is on.

Destined For An Early Grave is the fourth book in the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. I loved the first two books in the series (Halfway To The Grave and One Foot In The Grave) and thought the series was likely to become a favourite. I questioned that after reading the third book, At Grave's End and finding it much less intense and with little of the sizzling chemistry from the first two books. I hoped this would be an improvement and to start with, it was. The story started out well, with a strong plot and the characters seemed much more 'alive' again this time around. There was plenty of darkness and Cat and Bones had their work cut out for them.

But as the book went on, I found it became predictable. Instead of barely survived big fights, Cat develops sudden new powers and suddenly it's an easy win. Big build up and then nothing. All over with almost no consequences for the main couple. The tension between Cat and Bones started out well too, but became tedious because both characters deserved a slap and should have just talked instead of ignoring each other. I've never been a huge Bones fan, but I disliked him even more through this book. And his similarity to Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer doesn't do him any favours at all.

Overall, it is still a decent enough read, I finished it in a couple of days, but it didn't have the flair, punch or surprise of the first two books. There were a couple of little things that were surprising, but they weren't enough to make me go 'Wow! Never saw that coming!' like I did a lot in the first two. I wasn't left wanting more, and I wasn't even inclined to find out when the next book is out after finishing it. I do hope the next is better because this series started out with so much promise

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined for an Early Grave Review, 23 Aug 2013
I liked this book as it has a lot of surprises throughout and it has a great ending. You get a feel for the characters in this book and shows you who are loyal and who aren't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Huntress series, 10 Aug 2013
I was told about this series of books by my niece and at first was fairly sceptical but I can now say that I have loved reading the entire Night Huntress series and can't wait for the next one to be published

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Jun 2013
Mixing hot, hot romance with vampires and fast-paced fantasy thrills, Destined for an early grave makes a hugely readable novel that shouldn't fail to delight urban fantasy and paranormal romance fans alike. This is the fourth book in the series and reads just like the first never failing to disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 2 Mar 2013
good condition. fast delivery. love this series so much there are so many twist and so much action in these books i cant put them down untill ive finished

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined for an Early Grave, 25 Nov 2011
Ronda (Newcastle England) - See all my reviews
Wow... another fantastic installment from Cat and Bones!!!

This time I felt I made more contact with various other characters and grew to understand and know their personalities, but even with that happening, the adventure sprang up from all corners!

Tate! I've never liked him throughout this series and yet I had an unyeilding moment where I thought he was going to win me over.... Not a chance!!! However, I made an 'oops' and without spoiling the story, I had to eat my words! I still don't like him though!

Juan, Doc, Denise, Justine (mum) and Rodney became characters of fun, laugher and, for me, tears... Vlad, however, became someone that I want to know more about... I really enjoyed getting to know him a little more.... there are more characters, like Bones' Grandsire, that I grew to know just a little more and wanted to learn about... They joined in this fantastic novel and had me gripping the edge of my seat!

Cat and Bones, I loved even more than I did in the previous book, I love their interaction, their love and their fiesty personal life! Bones has grown somewhat since the last book and Cat has had more to contend with and it's made me enjoy this series even more. I never know what is going to happen, I incorrectly second guess what is going to happen and I'm once again left reaching for the next book.

I truly love this series!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday from Hell, 1 Sep 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Ever since Cat and Bones met six years ago they have been fighting against all manner of opponents. Now they finally have time for a proper vacation, but Cat's dreams are being invaded by a vampire named Gregor who claims that she belongs to him, and she's beginning to realise there are gaps in her memory. Cat wants to know who he is and why he thinks he can claim here, but finding out may cost her Bones...and her life.

This is the fourth book in the Night Huntress series (after Halfway to the Grave, One Foot in the Grave and At Grave's End) and it steps up a notch from the previous books. Cat's past and future are called into question, and decisions are made that will change the direction of the series for good.

The plot is clever, managing to pick up the tiniest of plot threads from the previous books and tie them together to create a story that makes perfect sense, and well paced. The book starts off at quite a fast pace and manages to sustain it most of the way through. The world opens up a little more with a visit to New Orleans that introduces ghosts in a larger role as well as fleshing out (no pun intended) what we know of the ghouls.

Some of my favourite characters from previous books returned (Spade, Vlad and Annette) and the newly introduced Gregor and his minions are sufficiently unnerving. Cat and Bones's relationship goes through a few changes as well with Cat taking the calmer mature role and Bones acting irrationally and, at times, like a massive jerk. Their whole relationship is called into question and it brings some unexpected twists.

All in all, this was a great read and I can't wait to get stuck into This Side of the Grave.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 47/50

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Destined for an Early Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
Destined for an Early Grave: A Night Huntress Novel by Jeaniene Frost (Mass Market Paperback - 28 July 2009)
6.46