Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2009
Very moving story of a brave young woman who realised her husband was a dangerous rapist. Nobody listened. Not the police,his family or his employers (the US navy)
Kathryn Casey is an excellent narrator and proves to be a remarkable friend as she helps Linda Bergstrom keep the evil in prison.
We can help too... hence title comment.
Seriously. Read the book. It is good. Have read better, but for the last page alone, it is worth buying.. at any price!
Intrigued?
Get it. You will understand. Don't want to spoil a good story.
on 23 July 2009
An absolutely facinating book which I couldn't put down and, as my title says, looks are truly deceptive. The cunning is breathtaking and the really sad thing is that it actually happened this time with a good outcome. A tale of cunning and courage - and not by the same person!! Well worth reading and thoroughly recommended.
on 27 April 2013
This was a page turner from the very first sentence. I absolutely loved this book. What this poor woman went through being married to this monster is horrifying. The fact that she screamed out to people to listen to her and nobody helped is shocking. The victims of this evil man could have been spared the disgusting and terrifying things he did to them if somebody had listened sooner and stopped him. His family were just as bad as he was... no wonder he turned out the way he did. Very in depth book and really brings the true horror of this home as you read it. I couldn't put it down. I read until my eyes were so tired I had to stop. Kathryn Casey is one of my favourite authors and this book shows why. An absolute must read for true crime fans.
on 26 January 2014
It's quite staggering to read this and learn just how difficult it was for Linda Bergstrom for years and years to get someone to take her seriously when she told them her husband was a dangerous rapist. His own family, the navy, medical personnel, the church, the police, the legal profession. Why on earth did they think she was informing them about him ?? Just amazing nobody took her at her word. No doubt when some of his latter victims got to read this book they were equally shocked and saddened too, since their own attacks should never have happened.
The navy I thought behaved in an appalling manner. They knew what he was up to but as long as he agreed to take his "little problem" elsewhere they were more than happy to release him onto an unsuspecting civilian population with an honourable discharge, no less !!Their own medics said he'd never be cured but he was no longer their problem once he left their service.
His own family too behaved terribly in covering up for him and the fault lies as much at their doorstep too along with the church. James professed to be a religious person and they also encouraged him in his crimes by never taking him to task over them even when they had been told what was going on !!
I did wonder at Linda going ahead and marrying him as there were clues in their courtship as to what sort of person he was. However, I suppose we're all guilty of wearing rose-tinted specs at times.
I was shocked that by law she wasn't able to testify against him. I know a spouse can't be compelled to do so but this read as it not being legal which I find strange. It was odd too that in one Texan city full of small towns and areas that they never communicated with each other. It seems if it was out of their own little jurisdiction they didn't give a toss !!
Well done to Linda for persevering with getting him brought to justice at long last. Of course it also meant her own daughter was kept safe away from her own father which was the best thing that could have happened to her. I tried to learn what happened at his most recent parole hearing in June 2013 but couldn't find a more recent update online so I am hoping he's still in prison.
I happened across the odd apostrophe error but that was all so that was good. I'll certainly read more of her books as once again she doesn't do the timeline hopping around that occurs so often in true murder accounts and can become confusing.
on 20 November 2010
i thought this was a great book i enjoyed reading this and couldnt put the book down once i started to read thhe man is so evil its unbelievable. i definatly recommend this book
on 18 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would definately recommend it. The story was really good and I felt so sorry for his wife and couldn't believe how long it took to catch him. This is the second Kathryn Casey book I have read and will be reading some more of her books.
on 4 March 2014
Justice seems to often be the prerogative of the perpetrator. I applaud the courage of the victims in this book and hope that the rapist remains behind bars in 2014 .this at least can give all those affected by his sickness some peace of mind.Thank you again Kathryn Casey for another good read.
on 12 September 2013
Had " look inside" and was hooked, my 3rd kathryn casey book, no detail left out, such a sadistic sicko cruel person, but such a brave wife who went thru sheer hell, she got "heard" in the end, i could not put the book down, you won't either!!! buy it.
on 10 June 2013
What a story,wonder what happened to Colt ,thank goodness he believed her,must have been dreadful to live like that for so long,and she found peace eventually also her daughter,I for one will be putting my name down even though I live in England,Joy Page
on 1 December 2012
This author is as good as Ann rule. (Never thought I would say that!!). An unusual story but worth the read. This woman had her dream of a happy marriage blown up in her face by her husbands lifestyle. He was nasty.