4.0 out of 5 stars a really good faerie book
I came across Wondrous Strange when i was just browsing, and after looking into it a little further i added it in my wish list. It took two months for me to get my hands on it, but it was well worth the wait!

Published on 26 Feb 2009 by R. Crump

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story
The cover reminded me of underwater mermaids for some reason. Maybe its the blue or the bubble like flower thingys in the background I'm not so sure.

I'm not really sure what I think of the story. I liked the concept (even though I have seen it before) and I liked the characters. However nothing really seemed to POP out and be all WOW.

Out of all the...
Published 5 months ago by Sairah

4.0 out of 5 stars a really good faerie book, 26 Feb 2009
R. Crump "beckyjay" (wakefield, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wondrous Strange (Hardcover)

Kelley is an actress struggling in New York. One morning she is given the part of Titania in production of A Midsummer Night's Dream when the actress is injured. Jumping into the role, Kelley is a little surprised to find she's nervous and forgetful on the stage, and so goes to Central Park to run lines. There she meets Sonny - a handsome boy with a very dangerous occupation. Pretty much straight after that chance meeting, everything starts to go wrong.

Finding herself being pulled into a magical world after rescuing a horse who follows her home, Kelley discovers a past she would never have dreamt of, and finds out about another totally different world to her own, as well as getting closer to Sonny.

Kelley and Sonny are wonderful characters - some of my all time favourites. As the only human, Kelley reacts to being told about faeries like any sane person would - which is refreshing from a lot of the books of the same genre. She is also very tough and determined, too, making her a perfect heroine.

Sonny is the same. I absolutely loved how sweet and sensitive he was, but also hard-fighting and strong at the same time. In fact, all the characters are superb. Even the secondary ones are intriguing and complex like Maddox, Sonny's right hand man, and Chloe, a beautiful siren. I loved them all.

You wouldn't believe this was Lesley Livingston's first book, and i certainly hope it isn't her last. Wondrous Strange ended on something of a cliffhanger, and it is killing me not knowing what happened to Sonny and how Kelley will cope. Fingers crossed there is a sequel in the works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting.................., 13 April 2010
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Comparisons will naturally be made with Melissa Marr's books if you have read them but this novel although similar in some respects, does make it as a stand alone story very well indeed.

17 year old Kelly is a struggling actress in New York and one day is catapulted from being understudy in a production of A Midsummer Nights Dream to being the leading lady. What she doesn't yet realise is that the play she is in, is going to mirror her life nearly exactly.

In this novel, Central Park isn't just a park, it is far more than that and carries far more danger than the usual New York weirdos. Oddly, Kelly is drawn to it and this is where her adventures really begin and she meets the mysterious Sonny.

I liked this novel for the way it has been researched (i.e. the different Faerie Courts, Seelie and Unseelie), the way the author has captured the capriciousness and cruelty of the Fae and also the way the Wild Hunt is described.......awesome to say the least. It was also good to read about Herne our British Green Man and the part he plays in the story.

A thrilling story, well written, well thought out and one that I enjoyed so much, I read it in one sitting and then started on the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 30 Dec 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wondrous Strange (Hardcover)
I loved it, I LOVED it. I love it so much I want to marry it. If you are a fan of faerie books, you'll want to read this one. If you've tried faerie books before, but didn't like them, you'll want to read this. If you aren't a fan of faerie books, you'll still want to read it. It's that good.

Incredible characters, incredible writing, incredible plot. It was really just so fantastic, it's hard to find the words to describe it. I never in a million years would have guessed this was a debut novel. The key to my heart is great characters and storyline, and this book had it all and then some. Even the minor characters stood out to me, and they were fascinating. Like Chloe - she is a siren, has a very minor role, and yet she is very memorable. As well as a few other characters..... but I don't want to give all the goods away.

Completely original plot! I figured a few things out, but other things I was oblivious to until they were revealed. I've read other faerie books about the faerie "royalty" - if you've read Melissa Marr you know what I'm talking about here. Not that I'd even compare this book to Marr's because they are at totally two different ends of the spectrum. And I don't mean that in the quality of writing, because they are both fabulous writers. Did I just write fabulous...don't you just love the plethora of "f" adj.!? Do you think I'm subconsciously doing it because of the whole faerie thing... freaking fantastic fascinating fabulous faeries! I promise I did NOT do that on purpose!

Great writers write what they know.... what movie is that from? Never Been Kissed! I think that statement definitely has some truth to it. Kelley is an actress (a struggling actress to be more specific). The theater scenes within the novel were marvelous (notice no `f' here!) so I wasn't surprised to learn that the lovely Lesley Livingston herself is at home on the stage. I wonder if she knows any faeries personally?

I think the thing I loved most about WONDROUS STRANGE was Kelley. She is an exceptional female protagonist. I was instantly drawn to her character. She's honest, she imperfect, and she doesn't pull the Bella card. When a cute guy tells her that faeries are real, she reacts like a normal person and laughs in his face. LOVED IT.

And I must mention Sonny. Ah... Sonny.. Mom, can I have one? Yeah, that's really all I'm going to say about him, because if I tell you, they you're going to want him, too, and you can't have him because he's mine. No really, I'm not going to tell you how incredibly cute he is, and how he kicks major faerie butt, because he's all about protecting the mortal world from the mean faeries.. And yet, he can still rescue the damsel in distress even if she is mean to him and laughs in his face.

I simply cannot say enough good things about this novel. I highly recommend you grab a copy of this book. It would make an awesome Christmas present! And I'm even more thrilled to mention that this novel is the beginning of a trilogy!

Reviewed by: The Story Siren

4.0 out of 5 stars "What angel wakes me from my flow'ry bed?", 23 April 2009
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wondrous Strange (Hardcover)
As another reviewer has pointed out, there are lots of books out there at the moment that take on a very similar plot or feel to Melissa Marr's WICKED LOVELY. However, although there are similarities between Marr and Livingston's creation, WONDROUS STRANGE does manage to stand out against the crowd.

The main female protagonist is Kelley; a teenage girl living in New York who aspires to become an actress. At the beginning of the play she is involved in an amateur theatre production of Shakepeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Going to Central Park one evening to practise her lines, she meets Sonny Flannery, a Janus Guard - sort of a faerie assassin - whose job it is to stop faeries slipping through their world into ours. From the very beginning, Sonny is attracted to Kelley; she seems different to other mortals. As for Kelley, she soon realises that meeting Sonny is the day that her life will change forever. All is not well in the world of faeries and Kelley seems to be right in the middle of it...

Despite the similarities between WONDROUS STRANGE and Wicked Lovely, I personally think there is enough within WONDROUS STRANGE to make it original enough to make it interesting. I loved the use of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" as another element to the plot. Central Park is also an important element to the story, and these two together seemed to add an extra bit of magic. And, although there were creatures that I have heard of before, there were also new additions such as The Black Shuck. And the idea of the Wild Hunt was brilliant.
OK, so at times the story was predictable and the bare bones of the plot has been done before, but WONDROUS STRANGE was still a great way to escape ordinary life.
Recommended to those who always wondered where Shakespeare got inspiration for his own fairytale...

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story, 7 Feb 2014

Out of all the characters I liked the horse the most. Hmm I guess thats saying something. That being said it's not like I didn't like the rest of the characters. I just felt like I needed to know more about Kelly and Sonny and even 'Bob'. From a character point of view I felt the book was too short not allowing for much character development but then again this is the first in a trilogy so hopefully there is more to see later in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars really good new read!, 25 Oct 2013
Really good idea, and a new take on fairy tale themes, I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really on a parr with Marr, 13 Jun 2011
I will start by saying that this is a very nice book, with a very nice story and Kelley is a very nice
lead character. But I want so much more from a book than just nice.

There was some real originality here with the story and I really did like Kelley, but then some aspects
of the story seemed far too familiar and some plot twists were just too convenient, and not clever enough.

I will admit that I didn't guess that Queen Mabh was who she was, but then when it was revealed I wasn't all
that shocked by it.

Really just a pleasant read if you want something light, I never really got the whole world in peril
drama, it was not very dramatic to me in the way it was written. Not awful, just nice.

And I agree with other reviewers, give Melissa Marr a go, she is the superior of the two in this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars wondrous strange, 30 Sep 2010
I absolutely loved this book, and only paused to go to work and sleep.
It has a brilliant storyline, and an equally brilliant plot.

I loved the subtle twists, like when Sonny was tricked by Auberon and Mabh, and then finding out who his birth mother was. Also thinking Kelly's father was the good guy, and finding out that some of Kelly friends were actually fae.

Even though at first I found it a little far fetched to have a horse in one's bath tub, filling the bath with a couple of inches of water. The reason for that soon became apparent and I really kind of got attached to the kelpie and was concerned for it when it had to be returned.

This book had just the right amount of romance without getting too slushy and a lot of nail biting drama.

I'm now going to order the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful take on Shakespeare with some great twists., 11 Feb 2010
I'm currently doing an English degree at university and find it hard to find time just to sit and read. I picked up Wondrous Strange on a whim and I found it amazing! Fast paced, fun and thrilling, this book had me glued for hours, I could not put it down.

I wasn't sure what to expect of it at first, as there are so many books about faeries and folk lore in today's market but I think Lesley Livingston has done an amazing job of bringing the tale of A Midsummer Night's Dream into the modern world, and, being a Shakespeare student myself, I found the idea of the story being somewhat true fasinating. The characters pull you into their world and take you on an adventure around New York City and the hidden faerie realm.

A fantasic read that keeps you guessing to end, I would recommend it to anyone who likes modern day faerie tales with beautiful romance, suspense and action written wonderfully.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy to lose yourself in, 11 Feb 2010
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I really enjoyed this story and can pretty much sum it up in one sentence (although I will embellish) this story provides a fantasy world to lose yourself in.
It is very similar to Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr in respect of the build up of the Faerie courts however, Wondrous Strange concentrates more on the interaction of the courts with the seasons than Wicked Lovely and there is not as much interaction between the mortal realm and the Faery realm. There is also a parallel with the element of the Wild Hunt in both stories.
The characters are well balanced and their interactions believable. The story is beautifully written with enchanting & ethereal imagery. Shakespeare quotes and references abound, reinforcing the storyline, adding depth and dimension to the plot. Adding to my education via osmosis again! The plot twists are built up slowly and are believable, although I would not say the twists were predictable neither were they completely unexpected.
Although this book is part of a series it can be read as a stand alone story.
In conclusion, an entertaining story, an escape from reality, a fantasy world to lose yourself in. Enjoy.

Wondrous Strange
Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston (Hardcover - Jan 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01