Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 February 2013
I must admit, I was only slightly impressed with Sidney Poitier's films during his career. Part of it was the subject matter. It often centered on issues of Racism.

As a woman of color that is often difficult to watch. I grew up in the Deep South during the days of sit-ins, my parents were very committed to being involved. So these themes are not exactly relaxing entertainment. They are historic themes and do need to be aired, but watching does not elicit smiles, release, or a desire to eat popcorn and have a great watch... it can hit home "a bit close to the bone" sometimes.

But be that as it may, I just never understood all the hoopla about HIM. He is a perfectly laudable actor, but I just didn't "get it" in terms of him being so revered as a man.

NOW I DO. He IS impressive, and the book shares a side of him that was not so readily discernible from just movie roles and short quotes in magazines or newspapers.

This book opens the viewer to the deeply caring side of a remarkably giving personality and a really loving man. I can appreciate that and feel privileged to have had the opportunity to know WHY he is so loved by his public. Deservedly so. Kudos.
on 7 January 2010
A great biography, I bought it for my Dad as he is a fan of Sidney and his work, I had a chance to flick through it before I gave it to him, a great wisdom and energy full account of such a great man's life, there are some great photos included within in the book which provide a great insight into his past/present life and the certain people he has met throughout the years.

A great book.
on 24 August 2011
Im only on page 50 of this book but I already cant put it ddown. Mr Poitier's books are always a pleasure to read. I still remember reading Measure of a Man , i couldnt put it down. This book is definitely worth reading.
on 13 April 2013
This is the best book i have ever read.what a special man he is. I would just like to say THANKYOU mr Poitier. You made my life more understanding.
on 19 March 2015
Happy with it.
on 13 October 2013
A wonderful quality hardback. A must have for anyone who delights in autobiographies. A charming depiction of a Hollywood great.
on 8 June 2015