on 25 April 2012
The third instalment of a grand trilogy, wherein the hero is an alcoholic, the anti-hero has won the first two rounds and the sage has since expired. Still and all a wheeze of a good yarn, eyewatering price though! Please start bringing down the price of e-books! You can do it!
on 3 April 2014
I enjoyed this trilogy overall, it was a different take on the usual vampire type books at the moment i.e. Twilight etc. The vampires and some other characters reminded me of the film Blade 2 which i think Guillermo Del Torro directed.

Would recommend
on 27 April 2015
Loved the TV series - had to read the books
on 14 September 2015
Book is better than the series!
SJ
on 20 October 2011
I liked the premise of "The Strain" and quite enjoyed the book. Enough to read the second, anyway. Which was not quite so good. The third, however, with it's attempts to explain and justify the events with mythology, was really not very good at all.

Far too much fighting: every slash and blow does not translate well in a book and so I think del Toro is hoping for a film. The leaps of logic are astounding. I'd actully rather a film of the Mark Tufo Zombie diaries, to be honest.

In short, If you've bought and read the first two, then you obviously have to read the third. If you haven't started, then don't bother. Honestly, it's not worth your time.

It's a shame: it could have been good.
on 10 December 2013
"The Night Eternal" by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan is the 3rd and final book in the Strain trilogy and follows on a couple of years after the evens of the second book in the series entitled "The Fall". If you haven't read the previous books then I do advise that you avoid reading this review as some of my commentary is likely to include some spoilers.

Since the events detailed in "The Fall" humanity has suffered brutally with the world having fallen under the control of the Master and his vampire horde. Most of the remaining people have accepted their new life under the ash filled skies either as an underclass of society or as cattle held in camps where they are bred and bled as a food source for the vampires. A handful do still try to fight back such as Eph, Fet and Nora who were entrusted with a silver bound book called the Occido Lumen which supposedly contains the manner in which they could finally defeat the Master and perhaps give humanity some hope for the future. However, with the Master still hunting them and many humans helping him, their chances seem slim.

Once again the authors have packed some decent enjoyable action sequences into their book. However, these were interspersed amongst some slower paced and at times rather dull character driven elements. The problem here is that I have struggled to really engage with the characters and therefore anything focussed around them failed to really enthuse me. This wasn't helped by some of the developments thrown into the book such as a new romance between Fet and Nora, Drug addicted Eph and more importantly his son Zack whose brain washing led me to really disliking him. I basically found myself not caring about any of the characters so their sacrifices and choices didn't bother or interest me.

Whilst on the whole the characters were a let-down for me I did appreciate the exposure given to the mysterious Mr Quinlan who is revealed here to actually be a son of the Master. Whilst he wasn't around much in terms in page quantity, this solemn and interesting character has an important role in the overall story and it was nice to see his own personal story revealed here and given some room to shine.

There are also some other nice touches to the book such as the dark, depressing and brutal world that the authors have created. Bleakness and a lack of hope pervade this book and to be honest I am not sure the ending could really be classed as a happy one either. This is then all supported by the Vampire creation story which is finally revealed in this book. I won't go into much detail here as I don't want to ruin in for anyone who hasn't read the book yet but it was an interesting take on the mythology and I enjoyed the way in which it linked into biblical stories.

Overall, whilst I have enjoyed reading this book and the series in general I do think that this book has again highlighted one of the real flaws and that is the characters. They just aren't engaging enough to carry the slower sections of the story and I think this has really reduced the overall impact of this novel in particular due to its elements of sacrifice. In the end, if you have made it this far in the series then you really should read it if only to see how it all began with the vampire creation story and how it all finally ends.
on 11 January 2013
Ok people tell me who is in the mood for a real horror story? Who is ready for the real deal page turning nonstop thriller?? I have to warn all that I am not liable for nightmares after reading!! You will go to sleep with the lights on and double check everything after reading this! Believe me reader's Lady Journal would never steer you wrong? Trust me when I say, I am the Queen of horror! So when I tell you this is Real Horror, it is. Now if you haven't read this yet, get it now!! Guillermo is so good he is right up with the all time Legend Stephen King! This guy also wrote don't be Afraid of the Dark that is in the Theaters' now! He is the visionary creator of The Academy Award-winning Pan's Labyrinth. (For those of you who aren't familiar)

This awesome novel is about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all of humanity!! In just one week Manhattan will be gone!

In one month the country!

In two the whole entire world! ! !

When a plane is lands at JFK airport, everyone noticed all the blinds in the windows are shut tight. There is no sign of anyone coming out, no communication at all. Everyone is clueless is to what had happened here! Suddenly when an alert goes out about some biological threat? Then they began to try to board the plane, to see what has happened. What they discover is something to make anyone's blood curl.

On another side of the city a character named Abraham senses something is changing within the city rapidly, I bet he never imagined in his dreams that a virus is breaking out among the city that is rapidly spreading threw mankind!! That virus causes you to turn ........ Into a vampire!

This Vampire is unlike that sexy smart alluring vamp like in twilight, we all love! Let's say it's really horrifying, almost zombie like. With this spreading everywhere in to everyone! All that you know is gone and changed!! There is nowhere to hide; you must get out there & fight back to survive!

5/5
on 6 July 2013
Continues much in the vein of the second book, slightly disappointing as the second and third book never lived upto the promise of the first. Go buy Salems Lot. Best Vampire book on the market.
on 17 December 2012
The initial book the Strain got my attention and the The Fall had some excitment as well. The night eternal slowed down quite a bit for my taste and the ending was some what obvious.
on 31 December 2014
The Night Eternal is a fantastic conclusion to The Strain trilogy. I really enjoyed this series of books. The vampires are dark and vicious, as they should be. Highly recommended.