4.0 out of 5 stars Unicorn Hunters...? I'm there!, 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: Rampant (Hardcover)
Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns . . . Real unicorns are venomous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. Fortunately, they've been extinct for a hundred and fifty years. Or not. Astrid had always scoffed at her eccentric mother's stories about killer unicorns. But when one of the monsters attacks her boyfriend--thereby ruining any chance of him taking her to the prom--Astrid finds herself headed to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient cloisters the hunters have used for centuries. However, at the cloisters all is not what it seems. Outside, the unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from the crumbling, bone-covered walls that vibrate with a terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to--perhaps most dangerously of all--her growing attraction to a handsome art student . . . an attraction that could jeopardize everything.

Rampant is a bizarre book. I'm not saying that it wasnt a good book, but the idea of Killer Unicorns is just greek to me. It's an original and excellent idea, as is Unicorn Hunters and all other aspects of the book. It was a pretty unexpected read for me, as I am Team Zombie. The book was written in beautiful prose, I was sucked in by the use of language; it was guite stunning. I found it a bit slow at times, but considering it's a book about VIRIGN UNICORN HUNTERS, I'll let that slide.

Kudos to Diana Peterfreund for inventing the idea of Virgin Unicorn Hunters, it is certainly something I have never heard of before. It's a totally different spin on Unicorn, which is good, because I dont really see which YA readers are going to read about pink and fluffy terrors that haunt kids fairytale books.

Rampant is the host of a motley crew of characters, there is not two the same. They were all unpredictable, mainly the villains, but I found Astrid suprising me at some points. The hunters were fiesty, kickass girls with awesome personalties. My favourites had to be Cory and Valirija, eccentric and well developed. Astrid annoyed me at some points in the book, when she was acting chilishly or rashly. But other than that, they were all very good characters, all extremely well developed.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the romance, I found it rushed an underdeveloped, maybe it was because I didn't like the couple or whatever, but I just did not enjoy it. It seemed kind of shallow, if you understand what I'm talking about. She just wanted to get out of her job. Tut tut.

In conclusion, I liked this book. It had its good and bad points, but it was original and enjoyable nonetheless. I also loved the element of mystery, the suprising plot twists that came out of nowhere and most of the characters. Diana Peterfruend is a really good author, I would reccomend Rampant if you like action, adventure, battles and slightly (?) forbidden romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Jan 2013
Mr. A. P. Styles "alanthehat" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rampant (Paperback)
Killer unicorns!
And teenage virgin warrior nuns to hunt them!
In modern day USA & Rome
What more could you want?
It's well written, with a nice flow that keeps the book in your hand
And there's a sequel - Ascendant
I loved it & would recommend it to anyone that wants to see the ups & downs of a teenagers life from the viewpoint of a cloistered militant novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 4 Sep 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rampant (Hardcover)
Think unicorns are sweet, magical horse-like creatures? Think again!

Diana Peterfreund introduces us to the darker side of unicorns in her novel RAMPANT. Peterfreund's unicorns are man-eating monsters. They can kill with poison in their horns, rip someone apart with their sharp teeth, and some have breath that can kill (literally).

Astrid Llewelyn has listened to her mother's crazy stories about extinct man-eating unicorns for years. Astrid never believed the stories - until the night her date ended up on the sharp end of a unicorn horn.

Now her mother's stories are all too real, and Astrid is sent to Rome for training as a unicorn hunter. She meets a group of other virgin descendants of Alexander the Great, and together they train to hunt and kill unicorns.

But Astrid doesn't want to be a hunter.

I enjoyed reading RAMPANT. There was some sexual tension and scenes of passion, as well as discussion about sex, but not enough to bother me. I'd recommend this for older readers 14+ because of the content.

I enjoyed the characters and learning about their lives. Astrid is strong, and yet vulnerable enough to make her real. The characters and their lives will run Rampant in my memory for a long time, but in a good way.

Reviewed by: Joan Stradling

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: Rampant (Hardcover)
I know that everybody is always saying that you should never judge a book by it's cover but I very rarely pick up a book and read the blurb if it has a crap cover. I thought that the cover on this book was brilliant so I picked it up, read the description and I bought it instantly. I was hooked from the first few pages. It was a really good book and I had a hard time putting down! I can't wait for the next book to be released so that I can read it!!

ARRAY(0xa7f0bf48)

Rampant
Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (Hardcover - Sep 2009)
11.04