4.0 out of 5 stars A bit indulgent, but a good read.
I can't really criticise Armistead Maupin for being a little indulgent towards his literary 'children' in later life. He's protected the spirit of the earlier novels well and resisted the temptation to change our perception of well-loved characters just to surprise us. So it's easy for fans to settle in and get comfortable.

The story is quite a good one: Mary...
Published on 16 Dec. 2010 by Androo

2.0 out of 5 stars The weakest of the series
I am a great fan of the Tales of the City series and looked forward to reasing this. However, while it is light and easy to read it is seriously lacking in any real story or emotion. I suppose that the twists in previous books mean that it is hard to find something new, so this book just seems to be another in the same formula as before leading inevitably to a feel-good...
Published on 30 April 2011 by paragonwsm

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit indulgent, but a good read., 16 Dec. 2010
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The story is quite a good one: Mary Ann returns to San Francisco after splitting up with her husband and finding out she is ill. She wants to get her treatment among her old friends. There's also a classic 'Tales' mystery lurking in the shadows, but I won't tell you what that is. I think the story works itself out rather nicely, even if it is a bit far-fetched in the end. But weren't the 'Tales' always like that? I think they were.

I do think that Armistead has tried a bit too hard to make sure we know we're in 2010, so prepare yourself for an onslaught of references to Facebook, iPhones, Apple TVs and all things high-tech. Even the language is brought bang up to date, and you may find this a little uncomfortable, or at least be distracted from the story like I was. I wasn't sure that the casual profanities that litter the text added much in a literary sense.

But these are fairly minor points. In the end, Maupin has created a good yarn that's easy to read and reminds you about characters you probably loved for many years. They may have got older, but they're definitely still the same bunch of misfits that somehow fit together. Mind you, there are some new characters, and I liked Jake the trans-man (who we first saw in 'Michael Tolliver Lives'), and Shawna's boyfriend Otto, with his monkey and his unicycle. I'd like to read more about Jake in particular.

I went to a reading for this book, and Armistead in person is every bit as engaging as his stories. Hearing what he said about updating the tales makes me less critical than I might be otherwise of this novel. It's hard to not like Mr Maupin, and it would be pretty hard not to like 'Mary Ann in Autumn'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your family..., 6 Nov. 2010
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mary Ann in Autumn (Paperback)
Armistead Maupin reminds us once again that a family can be what you make it. The characters in his series, Tales of the City, have been a formed-family since they first appeared in print some thirty years ago. The Barbary Lane collective house, headed by Anna Madrigal, had been home for many years to a disparate group of people who had lived, and loved, together. Introduced first in Maupin's five "Tales" books, the characters have aged appropriately as Maupin himself has aged. AIDS and other diseases - mental as well as physical - have taken their toll on the former residents of the Lane, but Mary Ann Singleton, Brian (missing from this book), Michael and Ben, as well as DeDe and D'Or and Anna Madrigal herself, have found life - and love - have continued.

Of course, the older generations above - original residents of Barbary Lane - have been joined in recent books by Shawna and Jake, as well as other characters. The younger generation have certainly enlivened the lives of the older group, as well as becoming part of the Barbary Lane Family.

In "Mary Ann in Autumn", Mary Ann has returned to San Francisco from her home in the wealthy suburb of Darien, CT, fleeing both the demise of a bad marriage and the frightening diagnosis of uterine cancer. She had left her Barbary Lane "family" twenty years earlier, returning only for a short visit to Anna after her stroke a few years previously. Now Mary Ann has returned, seeking solace from her many friends. Maupin writes well - as usual - of the feelings of the older generation and the worries that age brings us. Ill health, death, and the uncertainty of relationships are written about in Maupin's masterful hand. This is a beautifully told story of a "family" that can't be torn apart because they have chosen to be a family. No matter the geographical distance between "family members", the long-held bonds of love hold everyone together. All families should be so lucky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Ann Redeemed, 19 Dec. 2010
Mary Ann Redeemed - for that is what this is, things have come full circle, Mary Ann is back and in trouble. Many of the characters are back and we are once again looking at our favourite family. Not an easy read in places, be prepared for a bit of an emotional roller-coaster, some of the writing is uncomfortable, but all the better for that. One for the fans, stands on its own but far better if you have read the rest, especially the first!...
A sense of lose ends being tidied up, and a continuing journey for some of the characters. I get the feeling though this could be the last of the series there is room for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars **SPOILERS** Back to basics, 8 Dec. 2010
Paul S. Gibbs "Paulie" (lincs, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After the unfulfilling Mary-Sue exercise that was Michael Tolliver Lives this feels so much more like a Tales Of The City book. The style and the plot are classic Maupin and I found myself devouring the book as I did with the first six.

There's a great mix of old, new and nearly new characters going through their lives. We, as readers who've grown with the series, find out favourites going through similar growing pains. There're odd ommissions and a frankly doolalley ending but I thoroughly enjoyed the books. It felt like the coda the series needed and I am really happy we got the chance to reacquaint with this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars THESE TALES SIMPLY GET BETTER WITH AGE, 7 Jan. 2011
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Although it was the 1970s when Armistead Maupin first introduced readers to the residents of 28 Barbary Lane, it grew from that newspaper serial to six bestselling novels and an award winning TV series. Thanks to the skills of Maupin the story of those people is as engaging today as it was then. What a pleasure it is to be reintroduced to Mary Ann Singleton in the insightful, compassionate MARY ANN IN AUTUMN, A Tales of the City novel.

We read Mary Ann's thoughts, "The past doesn't catch up with us.....It escapes from us. At the landing she stopped to catch her breath." Yes, catch her breath for Mary Ann is now 57-years-old. It's been some 20 years since she left her husband and daughter for New York and what she hoped would be a stellar career on television. But now luck, mostly bad, has sent her back to the place of her youth - San Francisco. There she finds refuge in the arms and cottage of her longtime friend, Michael "Mouse" Tolliver.

She ponders, assess her mistakes and eventually seems to be recouping some of her energy, appears to be almost her old self when she finds that she cannot escape her past.

Other characters who emerge and engage in this witty/touching story are Mary Ann's estranged daughter, Shawna, who is now a sex blogger; Michael's transgendered gardening assistant, Jake Greenleaf; the highly social DeDe Halcyon-Wilson; and the incredible Anna Madrigal, Mary Ann's former landlady who is now in her eighties and as irascible as ever.

Many thanks to Maupin for one more visit with the beloved characters only he could have created.

Highly recommended.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 15 Nov. 2010
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I devoured this book in a single sitting - it is a light, elegant and wry book with so many familiar characters and a great dose of wit.

There is a sadness underlying the frivolity - aging is a mixed blessing, after all. And the characters are certainly flawed. But it makes them more human.

Maupin has a great eye for character and that has always filled his books with life.

I hope we get a couple more to round off the series. It would be good to say goodbye properly

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 22 Feb. 2011
I had completely missed the fact that this book even existed until browsing on Amazon a while ago. I am an avid fan of the Tales of the City series of books and have read and re-read every book. This latest book continues the story in the usual inimitable Maupin style. If you have read the other books, do not miss this one. If you have not, now is a good time to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armistead Maupin is on top form, 28 Dec. 2010
Mr. Barry Nixon (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City Novel (Hardcover)
For anyone who loved the earlier books this is a "must read". If you are new to Armistead Maupin and Barbary Lane then I plead with you to start with Tales of the City (the first book of the series) and follow the ups and down from the beginning.

Mary Ann is back in SF (the clue is in the title of the book), but why? And what/who will she find when she is there? It is impossible to answer these questions here without spoiling the fun of the book. READ IT FOR YOURSELF!

Armistead Maupin's brilliant observation of people shines though. As a fan of the earlier books it lives up to expectations with outrageous situations, coincidences and interweaving of lives to beat any TV soap.

This feels like a favourite old sofa - familiar and comfortable. Something to love and cherish.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Normal Heart, 18 May 2013
I think I can readily assume that anyone reading this will have read the Tales of the City series. Mary Ann returns to San Francisco, her marriage over and with cancer in her uterus which needs surgery. Perhaps selfishly she seeks the solace of Michael Tolliver. The novel is partly about aging - the title after all - and illnesses of various kinds are plentiful. Even the dog is epileptic. Anna is still there - much weaker and older but still a sun amongst the planets that are the cast of these stories. Other newer characters include Jake, who is having a hysterectomy for a quite different reason. Through Jake the author explores the ignorant denial of middle America personified by Jonah, a young Mormon come to oppose Proposition 8. Maupin also looks at the other San Francisco - the crack district of the Tenderloin through the character of the street Leia [Alexandra Lemke]. I think he struggles here a bit. The creepy Norman comes back,too - and there's a dramatic ending in his case. What shines through the book is the belief in caring and loving and being human, no matter what our gender or our sex or our preferences. "The genderless neutrality of the human heart". [172]

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything changes and nothing changes, 1 Dec. 2013
I devoured the first 6 Tales of the City books one after the other at the end of last century although I hadn't read Michael Tolliver Lives before I picked up this book. I will be going back and revisiting them all in order now (and watching the box set DVDs again) which I wish I had done before reading this book. I felt a bit disjointed as I could only remember general storylines from the Tales books and not specifics. For example, and this is crucial for anyone reading it, you need to remember Mary Ann's behaviour in Sure of You and what happened at the very end of Tales of the City as these events inform this story.

Yes, the book is set in autumn 2008, but the meaning of the title refers more to Mary Ann being 57 rather than the season. She is facing a massive crisis in both her health and her personal life and needs to reconnect with old friends and regain acceptance in order to get through the ordeal. Years ago I wanted to live at 28 Barbary Lane and was sad to discover someone else had taken the place over. I really liked how each one of the first few chapters set the scene and background for an individual character's story, and Mary Ann revisiting old locations from her 20s and reliving memories and nostalgia. It's a good mix of old and new characters and I was overjoyed to see Anna still around, although the book is tinged with sadness at her advancing age and I am dreading the book when she finally leaves us. The logical family is so special.

This book tackles contemporary issues as well as bringing the Tales characters into the Facebook, Twitter and blog age and I think Maupin handled this well, even if technology is used as a device to bring in the most sinister aspect of the tale - which is a bit implausible. I loved catching up with everyone all over again and can't wait to go back to the beginning.

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City Novel
Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City Novel by Armistead Maupin (Hardcover - 2 Nov. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.41