Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2012
Been a big fan of the series since the first book was published and really enjoyed this story. That said I am shocked a book so full of errors could get as far being published. Numerous missing, additional or nonsensical words is bad enough, but mixing up two of the main characters so that they swap places between the start and the middle of the book and therefore a large part of a chapter makes no sense definitely costs at least a star on the rating.
1919 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2012
I have read Feist for over 20 years. I have all his books in hardback (bar Magician) and have read many of them up to 5 or 6 times. Especially the early ones. I am not the sort of person to write reviews normally but things are so wrong in this book. I have never seen anything like it.

First, about the book itself: The book is littered with spelling and grammatical errors. There are so many that it becomes very distracting. I don't understand how it got published in this state

Secondly, about the author/story: There is a massive continuity error in the story, with one main character suddenly turning into another later in the book and for the rest of the story. For an author as experienced as Feist to let this error be published is beyond words. Without all the errors I would have given the book 2 stars.

Thirdly, The whole story: To me it had been clear for a number of years the Frist is tired of this story and characters. If you compare the early books to those released later, there is no comparison. There is no background to characters anymore. There is no richness to the writing. The recent books have just been stories told about characters that you mostly don't care about.
It makes me sad but I feel they are churned out to keep the money rolling in, and not for the love of the characters/story any longer. I loved these stories and to feel like I have to write a review like this saddens me greatly. I read a comment from Feist about the problems with this book where he apologises for the errors, but dissapointingly goes on to say that it is only 1 book in his 30 year history. I think that contemptuous comment says it all.
The next book is the final one in this 30 year arc, and you may think I would now not purchase it. You would be wrong though. The fool that I am, I want to now how it all ends after such a large investment of both time and money. However I will be glad to see it finish

Finally, for those who purchased the first printing of this book: There are details on the authors webpage crydee.com explaining how you can fianlly get your book replaced. I have included the details below for ease.

From Crydee.com

"The replacement book will not have a different ISBN. The errors are in all hardback and current ebook versions. As you know we are offering replacement copies. Instead of sending back the entire hardback we are suggesting customers just send back the title page. We hope the glitch will not spoil this wonderful novel for you. If you feel that you would rather wait and read the corrected copy, please send your title page to:"

A Crown Imperilled Replacement Copies
HarperCollins Publishers
77-85 Fulham Palace Road
Hammersmith
W6 8JB
on 2 February 2012
Feist's latest offering deserves 4 stars, delivering just what you've come to expect and a step up from the last book leaving it above the average for the series as a whole. However...

The kindle edition is riddled with errors!

Frequently the wrong words seem to have been auto-selected by the spell checker it was run through, and there are an astounding number of sentences with words missing. I don't know if the print edition is any better but I'm amazed that any publisher could let a title as large as this go to market in such an unpolished state.

The sheer quantity of errors knocks one star off what is otherwise a great read.
on 17 February 2012
It seems Raymond no longer cares for what used to be a wonderful franchise. I find it such a same that he is ruining what could be an amazing story.

It seems to me he tried to push out 400 pages of utter rushed nonsense every year cashing in on people who have followed him from the beginning. The typo's alone show Ray is just rushing to meet a yearly deadline.

As far as I am concerned, I'm done with this franchise unless either

a) Raymond lets Janny Wurts or someone similar and committed take over or
b) Gets his act together and outputs a story worth reading. By all means take 2 years if this is the best you can do after 1.

This franchise deserves a better ending than you are giving it. I would rather the story didn't end that be mutilated like this.
on 24 February 2012
Downloaded this yesterday, read the reviews so knew what to expect. Not too confusing once you get past the technical hiccups.

As for the story, I went into this book not expecting much.

Feist started off brilliantly in the series, went off track a bit, pulled it back with the Dark War (Dasati) angle and the last couple have been a bit hit and miss.

This one was actually written well (errors aside) fleshed out some of the characters and keeps you interested.

Again, not enough Pug or detail on the back story, which leaves a lot to put into the last book. More questions than answers after this one but a worthy read.
on 19 April 2014
This review contains SPOILERS!

I'm actually just reading this last 3 novels in this series and have come upon what i think is the massive error. In A crown Imperilled we come to a part where Magnus is investigating some strange energy vortex at the Pantathaians to do with the sven gari (???) I must have not been paying attention to be honest as i am not sure who the sven gari are? Is it the eggs? The children of the Pantathians? Anyway to my amazement Pug is not there he is back at Sorcerer's Isle. Which surprises me as im sure he said he would be investigating the Isle of Snakes himself personally...oh wait i did read a chapter on Pug meeting the leader of the Pantathians...uhh so why later do Amirth and Sandreena tell Pug about the strange lizard folk and he knows nothing about how they are so different and so on etc... To be honest im just going through the motions to finish this series. It has lost whatever magic and love it had at the beginning (Magician, Darkness Sethanon et al). The plot of the last 3 books so far i'm afraid has been quite poor...there is a repetitive thread tendency of the main characters to do something then all discuss it in a Conclave meeting...endless meetings....then theres the constant harping about the past ConDoins or Jimmy the Hand...perhaps to get us to care about these current characters..sorry but many of the current crop are very poorly developed and Feist does a poor job of making us care about them. I think its a mistake to use a beloved character like Jimmy the Hand as a technique to make us like Jim Dasher (great great grandson) Its poor sorry. Also the plot development of bringing back "Miranda" and "Nakor" is frankly ridiculous.... i'm afraid Feist has went down the same road that Terry brooks went down years ago...repetitive regurgitation of their first (ish) story which was brilliant but not coming up with any new ideas. I will read Magician's End because i'm interested to see how it all pans out.
on 29 April 2012
Can only give A Crown Imperilled one star because it was such a frustrating read. It is not the only book in the series riddled with errors but it is by far the worst. It seems that every other page had words missing or the wrong word used. I can not believe that HarperCollins/Voyager actually published it in that state. They should be highly embarrassed!
I read Magician many years ago and have eagerly awaited each new release but in recent years the proof reading (or lack of it) has ruined this excellent series. I can only hope that the final book will actually be readable.
on 1 July 2012
Long-time fan of this series and have been enjoying this book although I think you can tell that Raymond Feist is running out of steam with the plots and has been for sometime. Really hope the last book ties it all up. What has appalled me and others as evidenced by other reviews is the editing of this book. I am not going to repeat what has been said before but I have never read a book with so many mistakes. The publishers should be ashamed and should publicly apologise on this site.
Having enjoyed the previous tales in the series, I was really looking forward to this story, until that is I was reading it and the sheer amount of editing problems as well as discontinuity error's reared their head. You have to rewrite parts to make sense (as two of the characters get mixed up), you have to make sense of what the author's trying to say and to be honest this is a bad enough thing to get through on a two bit operation, not a multinational company like Harper Collins. Whether a big part of this is due to loss of data and having to go back to earlier version's I don't know but when a company (as well as an author) relies on reputation it is taking things a little far.

That said, I did enjoy the parts that made sense, the tale is building up for a few additional revelations and the world of Midkemia really is in dire peril. All round, it did have some positive elements but the overall standard is sadly lacking especially when a friend of mine told me that "An Author is only as good as their last book." If that's the case REF has a hell of a lot to do to restore confidence in his brand and as a reader I would suggest that perhaps longer is taken to make sure that the fan's don't feel cheated.
on 20 February 2012
I pre-ordered this for the 30th Jan release on Kindle, quickly found the huge editorial Chapter 4 & 15 gaff. Obtained a refund, downloaded the 13th Feb release, errors still present, got a refund, downloaded the 20th Feb release errors still present, got a refund. Harper Collins website apologise for the errors and state that they will shortly be issuing an update to Amazon, but despite being withdrawn twice the third issue is the same as the first. Up to the gaff it was a good read.