Not too long ago, Chloe Saunders was an ordinary teenage girl with dreams of making movies when she got older.

Today she is a necromancer who has no idea how to control her powers or even what all of her powers are.

In book one of the DARKEST POWERS series, THE SUMMONING, Chloe and several of her friends escaped from the group home they had been living in. Now, Chloe and Rae are recaptured by the Edison Group, a shady organization that has genetically altered them to try and make use of the powers that many of them were born with.

I found THE AWAKENING to be well-written, descriptive, and thoroughly engaging. This book had soul-searching, action, and even a little teen angst - although it only had a little to do with being a teen and a lot to do with being a supernatural with very little control over their lives or their powers.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. Kelley Armstrong already has two popular adult series under her belt, and this is well on its way to being her third, and hopefully only the first for teens! I hope to see much more from her in the future.

Reviewed by: Breia "The Brain" Brickey
on 7 March 2010
I was so excited I received this book for Christmas, seeing as I loved The Summoning so much. The Summoning was so exciting, with great characters and such a cool plot, so I was chuffed to have received this book. I've now read it, and I'm feeling a little disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the book itself wasn't bad; the characters are just as awesome as they were before, the writing as just as good, there's no fault there. I think my problem is with the plot. I haven't read the third book in the series, The Reckoning, yet, obviously, but it felt to me like Kelley knew how the series was going to end, but couldn't just start The Reckoning after The Summoning, so needed The Awakening as filler to bridge the gap. Not an awful lot happens for a book of it's length. Before I knew it, I was over half way through, and still waiting for something important to the actual plot line from The Summoning.

I shall continue for now with some positives, because there were some really good bits! I love the way Kelley writes; Chloe's voice, thoughts and fears are just so fascinating, you don't want to put the book down. I want to get to know Chloe, and the others, better because their lives and what they're going through is just so clever. Chloe learns a little more about her necromancy ability in this book, and it's kind of freaky just how far she can go. Tori has to face some harsh truths, and I can't help but feel sorry for her, even when she is being a cow. Derek is so awesome, I swear; he's strong, he's brave, he's self-sacrificing, he's just brilliant! Simon is lovely, but he annoys me sometimes with just how nice he is. I know he likes Chloe, but he shouldn't be so happy-cheery all the time, it's grating. Liz is still one of my favourite characters, she's just on the right side of quirky, and I love her! I am liking the hint of a love triangle that weaves its way throughout the book, though I know who I would choose.

They find out something fairly huge about themselves in this book, and it puts them all on edge a little, though I can't really go into why without spoiling a major plot point (which I would like to point out we find out at the very beginning of the book). There is a fair amount of action, of the creepy ghost/zombie kind, dodging baddies kind, and fighting kind, and it's all suspenceful and will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. Quite a bit of a thrill rollercoaster.

This all sounds pretty good, right? So why am I disappointed? So much of what happens is just not necessary to the plot. I suppose there is the possibility that there are going to be things happening in The Reckoning that link back to small events from this book, but from what's hinted at, at the end of this book, it doesn't look likely. These small events happen, then they're over, and I'm thinking "Why was that there?" We hear from authors that when their books are edited, the editors get the authors to cut out the "filler" that's just not neccesary, to make the book tighter, and to me, it seems they forgot a fair amount. Sure, it's all interesting to read, but just leaves me thinking why? In my opinion, this book could be compressed to a third of its length.

Saying all that, The Awakening is a fairly quick read, and there are a few major plot points that are imperative to the story, so you can't just skip this book. And as I said, I did enjoy reading it, I was just a little let down. If you read and enjoyed The Summoning, I say you should definitely read this book, because The Reckoning, which will be released 6th April 2010, looks to be incredible and this book needs to be read before it. Over all, not a bad book, but did leave me wanting more. I'd still recommend it to all fans of the Darkest Power series.
on 27 February 2011
Im not what you'd call the best at reading, I struggle to get into books and it takes me weeks, even months to finish them. I suppose I'm probably a bit on the dyslexic side. But this series of books just showed me what I'm capable of. I got through all three books in two and a half weeks, which for me is a real achievement! I just couldnt put them down, I was completely addicted to the characters and felt an actual sence of mourning when I'd finished the trilogy! I just wanted more! Armstrong has created characters and a story that for me were as real as you or I. These books are easily my favourite of all time and I implore you to read them!! My fiance is now finishing the last one after being reluctant because he though they were 'girls books' but he two now rates them in his top ten! I cannot wait for the next books! Well done Kelley, you've done a real good job! :)
This book starts up where the Summoning leaves off with Chloe imprisoned by the Edison Group. Derek and Simon are still on the run and the Edison group try and get Chloe to help locate them, she uses this as an attempt to escape and finds her self with an unlikely accomplice, Tori.

Her plan is somewhat successful and she manages to escape and find the boys. They then begin their journey to locate Andrew, a friend of the boy's dad.

During the story Chloe tries to come to terms with her powers and even offers support to Derek as he goes through his second failed attempt at changing.

I haven't yet read a story written by Kelley Armstrong that I haven't loved and this series is proving to be no different. I cant put these books down.
As a huge fan of Kelley's work any book that lands with her name on automatically moves its way up the reading pile to give me some pure reading pleasure. Yet with three series on the go, and with a punishing publishing schedule you do wonder if quality is being sacrificed for quantity.

All these questions and more (mainly to do with the cliff-hanger from the original tale in the Darkest Powers series) were bubbling as I began the opening chapter to quickly find I was sucked straight back into this YA series through the eyes of the protagonista. It's a definite must buy for fans of Kelley and a great way to have an adult author bridge the gap between children's books to Young Adult with this addictive telling. Exciting, emotional and above all a story to thrill you long after the final page is turned as you sit to imagine what will happen to the characters next. A must own.
After reading The Summoning last month, I knew that as soon as I got my hands on the next book I would have to read it and find out what was going to happen to Chloe and Rae, and find out if Simon and Derek were alright. So that's exactly what I did!

The Awakening picked up not long after The Summoning, and Chloe and Rae are back in the clutches of Dr Davidoff. Chloe thought that her Aunt could be trusted, but she turned them over to the doctors from Lyle House. Chloe is determined to do everything she possibly can to get out of there and get back to Simon and Derek to help them find their father.

I love Chloe. She never once gave up on getting out of that place or gave up the boys location, and I admire her strength for that. She's a determined and resourceful character. She's always looking out for people, and hardly ever thinks about herself. I just love her.

I started to really like Derek a lot more in this one. Even though he can still act like an ass and a complete jerk, I feel like I got to know him a lot more in this one. He's so vulnerable because he can't control what he is, and he's scared of it. He and Chloe bond in this one because Chloe helps Derek through his change, and they become a lot closer. Derek can be a real sweetheart sometimes.

I like Simon too. He's such a nice guy. He's always looking out for everyone and it always trying to protect Derek. He's determined to do anything he can to find his father to help them.

Tori actually started to grow on me in this book. At first, she was still a bitch but I got to understand her a lot more and see why she's the way she is and I began to like her. She and Chloe bonded in this one and I'm looking forward to seeing their relationship in the next one.

I really want Chloe and Derek to get together! They just seem so right for each other. They've both managed to help each other and I think they'd be great together.

So there were a lot of secrets and unexpected twists that I loved! I was shocked about Rae though! I couldn't believe it when I found out! I always thought she had Chloe's back. The twist involving the four of them and where their powers came from was unexpected. It was kind of horrible to think that everything they've been through was just a test to see if their sick experiments worked. Finding Simon's father was the main story line of this book, but they still haven't came across him yet which make them think he was definitely taken. They do, however, find their dad's friend Andrew who was also taken but managed to escape and came to find Derek and Simon. I'm intrigued by Chloe's necklace though. We still haven't found out what it does, and the fact that it's changed colour has me even more intrigued and I want to know what it does.

Overall, this was a great sequel and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read The Reckoning now and see how the trilogy is going to end!
It' a pretty cool idea -- a secret cabal devoted to genetically engineering and controlling supernatural creatures like witches and werewolves.

Kelley Armstrong continues to do the idea justice in "The Awakening," the second book in her urban-fantasy series aimed at kids and young adults. It's a solid novel that lags somewhat in the middle (when it seems like not much is happening beyond bickering), but has plenty of suspense, a dash of necromantic horror, and likable characters with realistic flaws and self-doubts.

Recap: Chloe has been imprisoned by the Edison Group along with Rae (who turns out to be a half-fire-demon), while Dr. Davidoff tries to track Simon and Derek.

But Chloe's terrible situation gets worse as she discovers that Rae actually LIKES the Edison Group, and that other boys and girls who weren't "rehabilitated" were killed. Oh yes, and an uber-creepy demon is whispering rotten nothings in Chloe's ear. When a shopping trip gives her the opportunity to escape the Group, she takes her chance -- only to suffer a devastating loss, and find herself unexpectedly allied with her former nemesis Tori.

Escaping is not the end of their problems, though -- life on the run is hardly glamorous, the streets are full of thugs, and neither girl has anyone they can go to. And reuniting with Simon and Derek only multiplies their problems, as the already-strained relationships start to fray under tension. With a million-dollar bounty on Chloe's head and the Edison Group in pursuit, the kids must find a place of safety before they end up permanently "terminated."

"The Awakening" picks up directly after the first book of the series, and it's a pretty different sort of story -- our heroes are just trying to stay alive, free and semi-hygienic, while they search for Derek and Simon's dad. The plot lags a little in the middle when the Edison Group seems to fade into the background, but fortunately it picks up again for a suitably suspenseful climax at the boys' house.

Armstrong is able to maintain an atmosphere of "The Fugitive"-like suspense all throughout the book. It has plenty of balanced dialogue (with much bickering), solid descriptions, a sense of humour (much mocking of bad movie cliches) and some gloriously eerie scenes that dip into the realm of horror, such as Chloe being assaulted by rotting zombie bats ("The bat was decomposing, one eye shriveled, the other a black pit"). And even when the Group isn't near, she uses switchblade-wielding thug girls and redneck werewolves to remind us that this is a dangerous world.

But as solid as the plot is, the real standout here is how Armstrong develops the characters -- all have their own flaws and insecurities, and some of them are exploring their supernatural powers. Chloe in particular struggles to overcome her "damselitis" and be more assertive, even as she reluctantly faces the prospect of what her necromantic abilities might unleash.

Derek and Tori also get some exploration: he continues to struggle with his bestial instincts and his temper, while the cause of her disgust and dislike for Chloe are explored. Nice twist on the usual "snotty teen queen torments our heroine." And Armtrong gives a chilling look at the brainwashing and cold-blooded methods of the Group, behind all the smiles and pretty promises.

"The Awakening" is a suitable sequel to Armstrong's first young adult book, and it ends with the promise of new problems and solutions in her next one. Definitely a good read, whether for teen or adult fans of werewolves, witches and zombies.
on 2 May 2013
Recently I read The Awakening, this is the second book in the Chloe Saunders Darkest powers series, I read the first one some years ago when author Kelley Armstrong first released it, when I had time to keep up with my favourite authors that they weren't releasing books fast enough for me to get to.
However, this one took me a while to get around to, but even with a couple of years break from reading the first book it was not hard to get into the story and into the characters. This book is young adult and follows Chloe a teenage necromancer, Derek, a teenage yet to have his first change werewolf, Tori, the bitchy teenage witch ;) and Simon, Derek's sorcerer adopted bother.
A lot happens to young Chloe and her friends as they run from the Edison group, a genetic engineering company wishing to exterminate their projects. So if as a reader, you look at this book with a sigh, and think not another young adult supernatural romance book, think again. This isn't, whilst there is the hint and promise of something between the youngsters, Kelley just teases the reader with it like the golden carrot as the four battle for their lives and learn that really, they cant trust anyone.
I can't wait to read The Reckoning, the last book in this specific series and find out what becomes of Chloe, Tori, Derek and Simon.
I give this book five stars.
on 15 March 2011
I thought it could not get much better than the first. But this one has taken the biscuit.

The character's are more solid and there is a new depth and darker tone to this installment.

They are properly on the run this time. Escaping from the infernal Edison Group again, they are in some serious danger. And between all this heart racing action, is that love we see blossoming? Perhaps!

If you read the first, you NEED to read the second. ^^
on 4 May 2010
The Awakening is the second book in the series and continues where The Summoning left off. All three books in the trilogy are throughly enjoyable. There is action, suspense and of course a romance - a love triangle between the three main characters. In my opinion it's really good for ages 12 and above, it's easy reading but there are some scary parts in the novel that some young adults might find disturbing. The Darkest Powers series is suppose to be a trilogy but it leaves a number of unanswered questions, however I believe there is going to be another novel released in the series, which is great. The third book in the trilogy The Reckoning doesn't finish on a cliffhanger and has a really lovely ending however you are definately left wondering about the loose ends. As far as the story goes, if you like magic and werewolves with young adult romance you will love these books. In my opinion if you enjoyed Twilight, City of Bones series, Secret Circle, Dark Visions, Evernight series, Hush Hush etc you will definately like these! Brilliant ******