5.0 out of 5 stars The Examined Life
Published on 9 Dec 2010 by P. Younger

3.0 out of 5 stars "I want to be a Jesuit" John Paul I
This book speaks of relatively heavy theology in a simple and enlightening way a child can easily understand. I like these kinds of books that rob the so-called `theological expert' from talking through his hat as if he knows something the rest of us don't know.

In its quest to define deity, surprisingly, it is equally satisfying to both atheists and...
Published 16 months ago by Warren Greene

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Examined Life, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life (Hardcover)
This very lucid and enjoyable book, which includes several "laugh out loud" moments, is a superb introduction to an approach to life which is at once practical and deeply contemplative. Much has been written about St Ignatius opf Loyola, the Jesuits and their approach to spirituality. However, I doubt there has ever been a clearer and more down-to-earth account, at full book length, than this volume. It quotes many of the other great works on Ignatian sprirutality anyway, so acts as a good gateway to the wider literature. I was already familiar with quite a few elements of Ignatian spirituality; this book filled in a lot of gaps and gave me a far deeper appreciation of all the major aspects. I particularly commend the exposé on "The Examen" - a daily exercise of counting your blessings and identifying where God was active in your life each day - as well as where you turned a blind eye or deaf ear to his presence. I've pasted the summary of the Examen from Fr Martin's book on my bedroom wall and using it has already greatly improved my gratitude for the here and now. I highly recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in what are, without wishing to sound morbid, truly matters of life and death - of a life well lived and well examined, and a death enfolded in hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing and potentially life-changing book., 2 Jun 2011
The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life

When I ordered this book I did not quite know what to expect. It was listed as a New York Times Bestseller, and sadly bestsellers on the topic of spirituality I have often found to be deadeningly superficial. However I was in for a surprise with this book, to an extent that I could hardly put it down. Just try to read the original text of Saint Ignatius Loyola's "Spiritual Exercises" and as Father Martin puts it in another context; snooze. However what Father Martin has achieved is to bring not only the Spiritual Exercises, but indeed the whole field of Ignatian Spirituality vividly to life. Further he has also managed this challenging task with both humour and deeply imbued humanity. Father Martin must be a wonderful person to know and what comes across is a very human person, with flaws very much like our own, but who through his twenty years as a Jesuit has learned to recognise God's presence and activity in every area of his life. But it must be said that this is not simply a book to be read, but rather one to be experienced and experimented with. Speaking personally, I believe that this book for me has been life-changing insofar as it has transformed my way of praying. I have no reservations in recommending this book and if you do read it, I hope that you will find it as enriching and life enhancing for you as it has been for me. This is a book to be read and re-read, and with each re-reading I suspect that deeper layers of meaning will emerge. I believe that this book will become a spiritual classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars the way forward, 5 April 2011
If you feel the need for a guide to spirituality in this materialistic age, then try the Jesuit Guide. It's easy and informal style is the way in to a profoundly spiritual but acessible way to live at the present time. Moreover it's realistic about everyday life so that the busy person living in the world, not hived away in a monastery, can find realistic advice here. But be careful - it may change your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 Mar 2013
This is an excellent introduction to Ignatius and his spirituality. The only reason it does not get five stars as I think the author is a bit muddled as to whom he is writing for. Is iot peoplewithout faith or those well into it. I belong to the latter category and enjoyed it very much indeed and have given quite a number as gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 25 Mar 2013
Essential not only for spiritual life but very much for all aspects of life. so please do read and recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars It completely lived up to my expectations., 6 Feb 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to go more deeply into their spiritual life , it is his humour that was most endearing and the common sense that underlies his writing .

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Jesuit spirituality, 2 Nov 2012
A. Warren "cygnetdoc" (London England) - See all my reviews
James Martin's book on Jesuit spirituality is a well written resume of the ideas and aims of the order.
Jesuits are sometimes liked , sometimes hated and sometimes feared within the Church and outside. This book gives an understanding of the manner and direction of the pattern of thought that has led to the success of the Jesuit order throughout the world. Many of the ideas stemming from Ignatian spirituality would be comfortable within the current school of cognitive psychology and the concepts of written consideration of alternatives and their analysis is widely used in current therapeutics. History shows that the Jesuits used these ideas long before the modern era.
Written from a personal perspective the book is an engaging , informative and extremely helpful guide to an education in an elite and powerful order within the Church . Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Contemplatives in Action" our Jesuit brethren., 9 May 2012
I first became aware of this book when it was featured on some television talk show I had been watching. I must admit at first I was disappointed because I thought it was going to be a much lighter read perhaps even a humorous account of some religious blunders a certain religious order had been found guilty of. On the contrary, I found the book to be very thoughful in nature, deep and philosophical. At first it intrigued me intellectually. Father Martin begins by informing the reader how the Catholic religious order of the Jesuits was founded by a recuperating soldier (Inigo de Loyola) in mid-sixteenth century Spain. Inigo, whose name in Latin is Ignatius, was ordained in 1537 and founded the Society of Jesus, officially approved by Pope Paul III, in 1540. What I personally liked was that although Ignatius "counseled the Jesuits always to carve out time for prayer, they were expected to lead active lives...they were to be active people who adopted a contemplative, or meditative stance to the world. The "contemplative in action", according to St. Ignatius Loyola, "not only contemplates the active world and sees wonderful things but also sees in those wonderful things signs of God's presence and activity. The contemplative in action is deeply aware of God's presence even in the midst of a busy life. It is a stance of awareness. Awareness of God."

The more I read this book the more I liked it. My favorite chapters, for instance, Chapters Twelve "What Should I Do? The Ignatian Way of Making Decisions" and Thirteen "Be Who You Is! Work, Job, Career, Vacation...and Life." were in the second half of the book.

Father Martin has a remarkable ability to reach others through his writing in a most compassionate and understanding way. I truly believe this is a gift he received from God. He left me with much to think about in my own journey. When you find yourself over 50, with advanced education, many years of experience and still not able to find a job after three years of unemployment, you start to wonder what purpose do you have. I realize however I am not alone in this. There are many out there just like me. I do feel, however, that deep prayer and meditation, keeping our faith in God, realizing he has a purpose for each and every one of us is the key. As Father Martin pointed out we all have gifts that come from God and prayer helps us connect with him to find the best ways of using them. I am left therefore feeling truly inspired and uplifed by Father Martin's writing. I strongly recommend this book to both Catholic and non Catholic alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hallulla, Hallulla, James Martin is really an inspriation., 30 Mar 2014
Jeg er ikke helt færdig med bogen, men allerede nu taler jeg varmt til alle her i Denmark to go to Youtube and listen, to James Martin and then buy this book. Love From Winnie Vöge

4.0 out of 5 stars The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything, 6 Jun 2013
James Martin S.J. skilfully combines an historical perspective on the Jesuit movement, and the crucial role played in its formation by Ignatius of Loyola, with lucid insights into the concerns of the present day Society of Jesus. A very readable introduction to Ignatian spirituality provides the link between medieval and modern worlds.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life
The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life by James Martin S.J. (Hardcover - 9 Mar 2010)