5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it
Published on 11 July 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining.
Robert Wagner was a boyishly attractive young man and maintained his looks in older age. His default expression was a kind of quizzical smirk. im not sure he could act and Im not convinced he was a star but he pursued and was pursued by stars and he became a son of Hollywood. These people are different, theres really no point in looking for points of similarity with...
Published 19 months ago by Queen Mab

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
Yes, I agree with the reviewer who complained that RJW does tend to gush a bit about his male buddies, but that's luvvies - sorry, actors - for you. Other than that I found it a compelling and really surprisingly honest read - about his career, his films, and his women. (He has some impressive notches on his bedpost and it's perhaps not quite gentlemanly to mention them... but let's face it, that's usually what we read these books for, isn't it?)

He does come across as a decent chap with some flaws which perhaps he isn't aware of, but he does tell some very good stories and he doesn't pull his punches. I couldn't wait to get back to it and read it in less than 24 hours. So if you're interested in Hollywood from the 1950s to the 1970s - get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to complain about, 4 Feb 2010
Tallulah (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
I like show business autobiographies, so I enjoyed this one. RJ Wagner comes over as a likeable man, honest and kind and particularly loves all the women in his life, especially Barbara Stanwyck, who had a raw deal from men before him. It was an interesting book, not too much kiss and tell or muck raking but pleasanter for that. I can't think why some people thought this book was boring.

He had two stepsons by his earlier marriage to Marion Marshall, and when he had remarried Natalie Wood, the boys were still around and her referred to him as his sons, not stepsons. The boys then in their twenties, thought enough about him to act as pallbearers of Natalie Wood's coffin, at her burial, so he must have been loved and respected by them.

I was particularly glad to hear his version of the death of Natalie Wood in 1981. At the time the press insinuated that she was drunk and fell off their boat which was moored off Catalina Island, and drowned and he and the others on board were too drunk to know.

In actual fact the most logical explanation was the one he gave. Natalie went to bed and in the main bedroom cabin heard the boat's dinghy banging against the boat side, and supposing it had come loose from its moorings, went out to retie it, presumably because they would never sleep with the noise. She slipped on the ladder was knocked out, fell in the water and unable to swim, was drowned. The coroners report stated that there was very little excess alchohol in her blood at the time.

So a pleasant book to read and a long standing mystery solved as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 20 Jun 2009
J. WALKER (YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
Very honest biography. The best I have read this year. Well written and heartwarming biography which is probably aimed at women more than men.

In keeping with the title the book tells of Robert's many love affairs and how they affected his life. He tells his life story with amazing honesty and some facts are revealed for the first time.

His tales of spending time with the Hollywood Greats, Frank Sinatra etc.
are amusing and give a real insight into stars real lives.

Some wonderful photos included.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - AN ENTERTAINING LIGHT READ

5.0 out of 5 stars Pieces of My Heart, 23 July 2009
M. Coakley (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed "Pieces of My Heart" by Robert Wagner. I am a major fan of old Hollywood so it was great to have Robert's insight into the lives and antics of some of its stars. Yes, he does, at times, tend to gush over some of the older stars. They were his heroes, so why shouldn't he. ? He doesn't hold back in his opinions about people. He calls it as he sees it. It may not make for easy reading at times but it is honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars IN MY OPINION., 17 April 2009
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
This book shocked me slightly, i had always considered RJ to be a lightweight please-all kind of actor, however the passion of the man/actor really comes through in this book, his relationship with his father was surprising too, i thought other than the death of Natalie Wood he had led a very pleasant drifting kind of life, but, nothing of the kind! he had to fight quite a lot to get what he wanted, he comes across in the book as a very endearing person , i have enjoyed it immensely and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who loves autobiographies/films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, heartfelt account, 17 April 2009
S. Thorkildsen (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
Instead of going on about how many women he slept with, this showed a man who was and is very decent, very loving and not a part of what you would expect of someone so handsome , a super star.
I wanted to know what made him tick. I also wanted to know the real story of Natalie Wood. I found all of this in this excellent autobiography. RJ, as he is known , has led a successful life both professional and personal. I measure an actor by his personal life and not on his public persona. Here is a man who , when he gives, gives everything. He doesn't jump form person to person. When he is in a relationship , he is loyal. I also just read about Tony Curtis which was the most "me, me, me " book I have ever read. RJ is the opposite. He gives, He feels. He is one of the most decent honest men I have read about and have enjoyed on Hart to Hart over all the years I watched him. This book is a great read and if you're not careful, you can finish it in a day or two as you get so involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 2 July 2009
A. Davey "booktalk" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read a lot of biographies but I found this one particularly fascinating. He knew so many famous people and had so many stores to share. Couldn't put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, if a little treacly, 15 Aug 2009
Claretta (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
The first half of this book is terrific. Robert Wagner was a star-struck young actor who hung out and occasionally worked with many of the greats - Spencer Tracy, Fred Astaire, Robert Mitchum, Bette Davis - and his memories of them are very entertaining. Then there's the jaw-dropping revelation that he had an affair with Barbara Stanwyck for four years. His description of Hollywood in the 1950s, the glamour and glitz as well as the hypocrisy and the sordid nature of a lot of what went on, is highly entertaining. His deep love for Natalie Wood gives the book a certain emotional intensity, but after she dies it rather goes off the boil. Clearly Wagner has a huge gift for friendship and genuinely enjoys life, which gives the book a lot of charm. Unfortunately, he (or his ghost writer) do rather tend to skate over certain things and there are a few too many treacly tributes to other actors and movie people. But all in all, a very good read. Some of the photos are superb, too - there's one of him and Natalie Wood, taken the day before they married, where they are so beautiful and radiant that it quite takes your breath away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 5 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Paperback)
I have always though Wagner was a handsome, charming, decent man with what appeared to be a charmed life, with the exception of Natalie's death and that probably does sum him up. I enjoyed this book although it is a little episodic.

Comments have been made that he didn't go into enough detail about Natalie's death, but he discussed the basics - she died in a tragic accident and why should he tell us more than that? Although it is 30 years since she died and he has been married to Jill St John for almost 20, it is obvious that Natalie was the love of his life and she overshadows the whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading., 20 April 2009
Mrs. Dorothy Massey (salford, manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces of My Heart (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting and gave a great outlook on life in Hollywood. The language is a little questionable in places, but obviously it is an honest account of things in Wagners life. It is now doing the rounds of family and friends. It is a pity that Robert Wagner has only had one life as another book about his later life now would be great. It is sad in places too, but then again nobody's life is perfect.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Pieces of My Heart: A Life
Pieces of My Heart: A Life by Scott Eyman (Paperback - Sep 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01