5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed till I cried., 22 Feb 2010
June Marie Birch (Holmfirth, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tempted By the Night (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to admit to being charmed by this particular Elizabeth Boyle novel, having read His mistress by morning the first in the Marlowe series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I enjoyed the plot, I enjoyed the characters, expecially the inclusion of Milton and Quince, and I laughed until I cried. It was a joy to read and I found myself constantly chuckling every few pages. The plot was simple fantasy, the adventures delightful and the passion and romance entertaining. Definately a keeper. I wonder if we will ever get Griffin's story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable historical paranormal romance, 19 Dec 2008
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tempted By the Night (Mass Market Paperback)
There's a lot of the paranormal in this historical romance - the hero, the Earl of Rockhurst, is one of a line of special humans known as the Paratus whose job is to fight against evil creatures which periodically are able to slide into this world through a 'gate'. This Paratus has his assistant, a wolfhound Rowan, but knows the risks of getting involved with a woman who could be used against him by the evil creatures.

Unfortunately Rockhurst finds himself involved with a rather unusual woman - unusual in that she's invisible. He doesn't know the identity of the woman he names Shadow but she saves his life and he wants to find out more about her, especially when he realises her invisibility is caused by a very special ring, one which, if he obtained it, could mean he could once-and-for-all banish the evil creatures against which he battles.

But Shadow, otherwise known as Lady Hermione Marlowe, doesn't want to reveal her true identity to Rockhurst, a man she has loved for years. She has met him lots of times and he's ignored her - she's not beautiful or interesting enough to tempt him. After making a wish she finds herself invisible between dusk and dawn and so sets out to learn more about Rockhurst, becoming dragged into his battle against the evil creatures at the same time. What Hermione doesn't know is that Rockhurst may have to kill her to get the ring, and that other people are also after the special magical ring.

I did enjoy reading this book, particularly its spirited heroine Hermione. Rockhurst, too, was an interesting and tortured hero although I felt his dog stole a few of his scenes. As a paranormal the occasional lapse of historical accuracy didn't seem to matter as much (people's dialogue slipped into American rather than British English several times). Hermione's fears that Rockhurst wouldn't be interested in her if he actually saw her were well written and I also liked some of the side characters. All in all this was a good read.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book Helen Hancox 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read :0), 18 Sep 2013
Really enjoyable read. Looking forward to next book by this author. Couldn't put it down! I have recommended this to a number of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly good, 3 Jun 2013
After reading the first Marlowe book I was intrigued how Boyle would continue, imagining that it would be repetitively tedious. But surprising it wasn't in fact it surpasses the first book however I do believe you should read the first book before this. Definitely worth the five stars and the read!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting paranormal romance, 27 Mar 2009
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tempted By the Night (Mass Market Paperback)
Lady Hermione Marlowe has been in love with Lord Rockhurst forever. Despite the gossip, she refuses to believe that the handsome, mysterious man is as wicked and scandalous as they say he is. She just wishes he knew she existed.

Lord Rockhurst doesn't care about his reputation as he has more pressing, and dangerous matters to deal with. But when a mysterious woman ends up falling into his arms, and saving his life, he realises that perhaps there is more to life than the quest he is on as whoever this woman is, he can't resist her and that could be disastrous for everyone.

This is the second book in Elizabeth Boyle's Marlowe Series (after the brilliant His Mistress by Morning) and while it probably does stand alone, I think that by reading them in order will make the magical element of the book a little easier to understand.

When I first picked it up I didn't realise that this was a paranormal historical and that's really not really the kind of book I usually enjoy. Having said that, I did very much enjoy the story as despite the magic and supernatural goings on, it wasn't scary and it was still a good romance.

I love a good tortured hero and Lord Rockhurst was certainly that. Hermione was a great feisty heroine and I loved how, due to Hermione's affliction of invisibility, you really felt like the characters got to know each other which made their falling in love all the more real.

Despite enjoying the book, I don't think I'm likely to read any more paranormal romance but I would still recommend this book if you're a fan of Elizabeth Boyle or if you just like a good romance with some fun action thrown in. 4 stars.

Tempted By the Night
Tempted By the Night by Elizabeth Boyle (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)
5.90