1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars From Pigeonphobe to Pigeon Fancier, something for everyone., 30 April 2010
Tommi Grover "Tommi Grover" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... and the World (Hardcover)
The cover image said it all. This menacing bird is taking over our cities and here to steal our very lunch from under our noses, and if we are not careful they might just steal our jobs and marry our daughters. My colleague is absolutely terrified by these birds that have taken over any public space where people gather to eat sandwiches; So as a humorous office joke I thought I would buy a copy and leave it on her desk to brighten up her return to work after a well earned holiday. She took it badly. As punishment she made me agree to read it all, aloud, to her and the rest of the office.

What started as a not very funny practical joke has become an office institution. Everyday we have "story-time" in which I read a few pages of Superdove to my colleagues during our coffee-break. I think it would be too much to say that completely pigeonphobic colleague has changed her opinion of these birds, but I have an increasing respect for them. I no longer look at them as flying rats, and the next time I am at a restaurant that offers Squab on the menu, I will certainly give it a go.

And I would urge any pigeonphobe to give "Superdove" a go too. What's the worst that can happen? You might discover you were right all along and continue with your anti-Columba Livia bigotry, perhaps with a little more substance to your arguments. But you may find that you too, like Charles Darwin before you, become a great pigeon fancier.

But in the case of either destination I hope you'll find the journey as interesting as I have.

Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... and the World
Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... and the World by Courtney Humphries (Hardcover - Aug 2008)
12.72