4 years after HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE and Cat Crawford now heads an elite team of FBI agents dedicated to capturing and killing vampires and other undead creatures who prey on humans - a team that's earned her the nickname "the Red Reaper". However although Cat has tried to move on with her life - dating a vet called Noah and hanging out with next-door-neighbour Denise - Bones remains the love of her life. When she unexpectedly meets him again at Denise's wedding the chemistry is still there. She tries to resist him but someone has put a price on her head and while her men are well-trained, they can't protect her from this danger - only Bones can. As the two try to work out who's trying to kill her, their mutual attraction becomes overwhelming and Cat discovers things about her personal history that call into question everything she ever thought she knew about herself.

The second in Frost's Night Huntress series was a little disappointing. Although Frost does a lot of work in developing her vampire mythology and her take on vampire society is interesting, there isn't a huge amount of plot here and the mystery element is easy to solve. Indeed, the book itself feels rather like filler, a way to bring Cat and Bones back together in order to move the series forward with the next books.

The action set-pieces are well handled and exciting and the sex scenes are raunchy (although the anal was a little too extreme for me). Cat is a strong-willed heroine with an engaging narrative voice, although her blatant refusal to listen to reason or consult with anyone before carrying out her foolhardy plans is a little irritating. In fact, the only things I didn't buy was her reaction to the death of one of her team, mainly because there wasn't enough interaction between them or her failure to realise that another member of her team loves her.

Bones remains a British vampire written for a US audience, with the Britishisms being a little over-egged. He's written as being an arrogant, powerful being and if that's your thing then he'll tick all your boxes. Fortunately Cat's wilfulness cancels out the worst excesses.

It's not a bad novel and the ending offers up a good set-up to the next in the series, which will mean I read on.
Although this review won't contain spoilers for One Foot in the Grave this is the second book in a series so if you've not read Halfway to the Grave I'd recommend reading that before you continue reading this review. This is a fantastic series though so would definitely recommend giving them a try!

The end of Halfway to the Grave saw Cat trying to protect Bones by leaving him to go and work for the government in a special department set up to fight vampires. One Foot in the Grave continues the story 4 years later - Cat has now established her vampire hunting team and trained her men in the same way Bones taught her in the past. But no matter how good their training has been her team are still only humans and can't protect Cat when she finds herself being targeted by vampire assassins. Bones has also managed to track her down and she is forced to turn to him for help. The attraction between them is still strong and Bones is determined not to let Cat get away from him again.

Wow, what can I say about One Foot in the Grave? I absolutely loved the first book in the series but this on blew me away! I am head over heals crazy about Bones - yes his British slang doesn't sound natural to a Brit but it suits him & I love the way he talks, he is also sexy as hell and the scenes between him and Cat are scorching. I'd heard a lot about the infamous chapter 32 but boy did it surpass my expectations and I think it may have ruined me for other paranormal romances :o)

If you liked the first book in the series then I guarantee you'll enjoy this one even more. It had everything I loved about Halfway to the Grave and then some. I've already mentioned how HOT it is but it is also action packed and full of twists that will make Cat rethink everything she has ever been told. We are introduced to some great new characters - I really liked Cat's team members Tate, Juan, Dave and Cooper and am looking forward to seeing more of them in the series. I enjoyed watching their interactions with Cat and the way they all looked out for each other.

Although this is classed as paranormal romance I would consider it one of those books that crosses over with the urban fantasy series & would recommend it to fans of both genres. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book and am looking forward to seeing what is in store for Cat and Bones in the future. If you are new to the series then I'd strongly recommend starting with the first book as it really does need to be read in order to get the full back story between the main characters but this is definitely one of my favorite series and one not to be missed!
on 22 March 2014
5 stars after a re read.

Cat and Bones have been apart for nearly five years and Cat works for a secret Govt agency taking out Vampires.

Bones is as ever, unapologetic, sarcastic, funny and sexy.

Cat has grown up since book 1, being apart from Bones and her work has made her harder, tougher and generally more kick ass.

It was a fast paced read, full of banter, action and fun.

How Cat and Bones first meet again after their separation was brilliant.

I love how much Bones loves Cat and is not afraid to show it.

More was introduced about Vampire society and other Characters, such as Ian and Mencheres are introduced here.

Great book in a great series!
on 21 May 2008
Cat Crawfield seems rather invincible. She's a half-vampire, half-human woman who works as a vampire slayer for the government. Four years have passed since the events in the previous book ('Halfway to the Grave') and she has been trying to move her life on after leaving her vampire lover, Crispin Randall, known as Bones although the cause of this name isn't explained in this book. However when Cat discovers that someone is trying to assassinate her she finds herself teaming up with Bones again to try to find out who's trying to kill her. Cat now has her own team of humans who help her in her vampire slaying and she has to overcome their prejudices against the undead as well as her own negative feelings towards Bones's former lovers.

There's plenty of action in this book - Cat's an invincible (almost) fighter although the fights have more realism than some as people do actually get injured. She's a lively and interesting character too although she does tend to leap into situations without properly reflecting on them some of the time. Cat's vampire-hating mother has a brief appearance in this book which is amusing but it's mostly about vampire politics, fights and Cat and Bones's relationship, as well as Cat's thirst for vengeance against her father.

Some of the dialogue for Bones felt a little awkward - he used English slang but sometimes it didn't quite sound authentic to these English ears. He was also slightly nebulous as a character - I didn't feel I really got to know him in the same way that I learned about the other characters. This issue was perhaps addressed in the previous book in the series, which I haven't read, but it didn't really detract from this story too much.

However I loved this book, felt it was well-paced and interesting with some good characters and with well-thought-out vampire lore underpinning the events. It has inspired me to pick up the first in the series and I will certainly look forward to the next offering from this author.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008
on 2 May 2013
Brilliant follow up to the amazing 'Halfway to the Grave'

"You know the old saying. Once you go dead, no one's better in bed?"

This book takes place 4 years after the first one. It is such a shame all that time was lost with no contact between the pair after Cat left Bones believing the separation would protect him, however in Vampire terms it probably isn't so bad.

Cat has come on leaps and bounds, she is now leader of an elite team who target violent vampires. She has grown up and ready to stand up for what she wants. However she is still feisty as ever and a great kick ass female character. No simpering damsel in distress here.

The pair reconcile and join forces again, hunting vampires. It isn't always plain sailing, there are past lovers, an infatuated teammate and a death threat directed towards Cat to contend with. However their relationship is much stronger than this time, Cat has grown up and is willing to fight anyone for Bones (even her evil mother).Their relationship takes a great leap in this book, you'll have to read to find out why.Cat also finds out about her father, who raped her mother and is determined to exact her revenge, however this remains unresolved for a future book.

The humour is just as good and the steam factor increases. One particular sex scene (you'll know when you read it) is off the scales hot.

There are some new characters: Ian (Bones' sire), Mancheres (Bones' grandsire), Denise (Cat's best friend) and Annette (Bone's former lover and a vampire sire by Bones) all who I believe will make future appearances.

"I know you left me because you thought you had to protect me, that I couldn't handle the obstacles before us. So you tried to get on with your life because you believed it would never work between us. But you see, I couldn't get on with my life because I knew we could work. I've been looking for you every day since you left me, Kitten, and I'm sick of being without you. You've had your shot at things, now let me have mine."
on 6 June 2012
Book 2 in Jeaniene Frost's excellent series about Cat Crawfield. If you haven't read the first (Halfway to the Grave) then you really should read that first.

Cat is a vampire slayer and this book continues 4 years after the first book finished, Cat left Bones, thinking that she was saving his life by doing so, and joined an elite paranormal division of the FBI where she heads up a squad of demon slayers. She's never forgotten Bones and although she's forging a great career and great friendships with her team she's lonely and misses Bones.

On a job to 'despatch' a vampire, she meets Ian and realises that he's Bone's friend. As she feels she owes Bones a favour, she lets Ian live..... I'm not going to give away the rest of the story but it's a good one!

There is alot of humour in Jeaniene's books, you can really feel the camaradary between the team and, if you're like me, you'll find you've got a silly grin on your face during some of it too. One sign that I love a series is that I spent the first few chapters anxiously waiting for Bones to reappear in Cat's life!

Generally I consider this to be an urban fantasy with some sex (some pretty hot sex!) rather than a paranormal romance. It's just so much more than a romance. The writing is good and fluid, the characters are people you want to get to know, the plot is well thought out and it's funny!

Thoroughly recommended.

ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS
THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE
ONE GRAVE AT A TIME
on 30 August 2011
It's been four years since Cat left Bones behind to protect him from her new life. Now Cat is head of an FBI team dedicated to hunting down the more homicidal vampires. However, Cat has a price on her head and each hunt gets her closer and closer to being caught. Only Bones can save her, but if he finds her he won't let her leave again...ever.

This is the second book in the Night Huntress series (after Halfway to the Grave) and I was really looking forward to reading it. There's a huge gap between the end of the first and beginning of this, but somehow the author manages to slip in all the relevant backstory without info dumping or getting off track.

The story is just as action packed as before, just with a wider cast as Cat's FBI team now play a key role in her hunts and she's made friends during her time away from Bones. Other characters from Bones's past are also introduced leading to a better understanding of his character. The storyline manages to pick up threads from Cat's past and combine them with her present in a way that creates a tale that sucks you in and doesn't let go.

Cat has matured since the previous book and doesn't react quite as instinctively as before, although she still gets annoyed easily and kicks serious butt. Bones has also become more open and got over his fear of losing Cat, which means there are some big revelations of how the vampire (and ghoul) world works which really adds to the realism of the books. Annoyingly Cat's mother returns and is just as hysterical as before.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm really looking forward to reading At Grave's End.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 47/50
on 14 April 2011
Cat has been away from Bones for four years now, yet the love is still there. Cat is working to rid the world of vampires through the corporation. During a special occasion who turns up...Bones. Bones is back and he is here to help Cat when he knows her life is at risk.

I was so so so happy when Bones came back. Don't get me wrong I still liked the story with just Cat but it didn't feel right with Bones missing. Frost had a great way of reintroducing him as I wasn't expecting it until the last minute.
We also get to find out a little more about Cats past and her family, which I won't mention in case anyone hasn't read the books because it is a bit of a spoiler.

I absolutely love the passion between heat and Bones so I loved the rivalry bewtween Cat and Bones and how Bones shows his devotion to Cat *wink wink chapter 32* . I really like how Frost has managed to make their relationship so beautiful without being soppy or cringe worthy .

Love.Love Love.
Read these books!
on 13 November 2010
I think I enjoyed this as much--if not more--than the first. What a story. A lot of different "things" going on in this little page turner that kept me glued to the book. I found it hard to put down. Nice short chapters, lots of kick-butt action, a very hot love scene, tender moments galore and wonderful plot. Top that off with a well-written, funny, vampire book and you have this one in a nutshell.
Bones! What a guy, er vampire. He is just so darn sexy and his love for Cat never falters. One Foot... picks up 4 1/2 years AFTER the previous book. I thought, eh? How's that going to work? But work it does. I'm glad I didn't have to read the mundane training that took place between the books. Relieved. I feel more things coming for Tate as he plays in a lot of pages here. Felt the author built the series up with more "potential" characters and I'm looking forward to reading them.
on 20 February 2011
As a major fan of the first Night Huntress book, I knew the second one would have a lot to live up to. However, Jeaniene Frost has more than risen to the challenge.

Cat is still fiesty and a perfect lead character. Her inner dialogue is classic and I can't help but chuckle at her sharp tongue.

There is the same amount of mystery and intrigue with this book, the tension holding perfectly to the point where you think you've stopped breathing. The romance between Cat and Bones is scorching hot and I more than definitely have a book-crush on the dude.

I can't wait for the next book.