Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2014
This was a bit of a mixed bag for me; I've rounded up to 4 stars in total from 3.5 average because this is totally worth getting just for the Kim Harrison story.

'Two Ghosts For Sister Rachel' is the best of the bunch and gets 5 stars from me. Kim Harrison just knows how to write an awesome story; this novella manages effortlessly to be heart-warming, funny, action-packed and suspenseful.

'Run, Run, Rudolph' by Lyndsay Sands is a cute Christmas time story and I quite liked how it started. I didn't think it was as funny as it could have been but it was enjoyable enough: 3 stars.

'Six' by Marjorie M. Lui was kind of an odd one. I quite liked the writer's style but the story felt rushed and that seemed to render it kind of pointless: 2 stars.

'The Harvest' by Vicki Pettersson really intrigued me. I am sufficiently interested to check out her Zodiac series now. It seems as if the concept for the series is based on some interesting if apparently complex ideas. Nice story, I just would have liked a few things to be made clearer: 4 stars, and a cool new series for me to check out!

Overall it's a kind of uneven mix. For me it was worth it to read the stories by Kim Harrison and Vicki Pettersson. Mostly I'd recommend it to fans of Kim Harrison; if you love Rachel Morgan you have got to read the story in this book!
on 19 November 2007
Holidays Are He11 is an anthology of four entertaining urban fantasy tales that are a fun visit with favorite characters, and the chance to meet new ones. If you're already a fan of any of the series that are represented you'll love getting the back-history on these characters, and if you're new to them it's a wonderful place to start.

Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel by Kim Harrison: It's the solstice and Rachel takes her brother, Robbie, up on a bet. If she wins she can join the I.S. with his support, if she loses she'll go to the West coast with her brother and continue schooling. Things don't quite go according to plan.

Run, Run, Rudolph by Lynsay Sands: Jill finds herself changed and pursued by a madman who wants to use her as a guinea pig. With Nick by her side, Jill will have to make use of her new abilities in order to escape the deranged scientist's clutches and stop him from ever doing it again.

Six by Marjorie M. Liu: Six is an undercover government agent when she teams up with Joseph, a necromancer. Their separate goals become one and together they plan to stop the terrorist cell that has ties to vampires. Surviving unscathed may not be so easy.

The Harvest by Vicki Pettersson: Having already passed on her chi, Zoe returns to the zodiac agents of Light as a mortal. Surprised and wary of her arrival, they allow her to explain. She needs their help to save innocent lives from the Tulpa and the zodiac Shadows. Zoe knows that their only chance of success is as a team!!! I would also recommend, if you missed reading TINO GEORGIOU'S masterpiece--THE FATES, go and read it. With fascinating and brilliantly created characters in `THE FATES' coupled with two intertwining plots makes for a completely enjoyable and page-turning read.
on 5 July 2010
I found myself zipping through each of the stories, most by authors who I'd read before. My favorite was "Run, Rudolph, Run" by Lynsay Sands. She had a great set up at the beginning, threw me right into the story, and it was easy to follow. I understood what was happening, what the character was struggling with, but it was the great sexual tension between the main character and Nick that I couldn't stop reading.
Great stories by four terrific authors. I felt they each had enough time to build an easy to follow world, a conflict and resolution with characters who gave me just enough information to keep me reading and not once feeling overwhelmed. I definitely would recommend this for anyone looking for a strong paranormal story, great world building, and a touch of romance.
on 12 June 2012
The Kim Harrison story was a Rachel Morgan story. As always very easy reading but not up to her normal very high standard. The Lyndsey Sands story was a little naive but very amusing tale concerning the misadventures of a usually naked shapeshifter. The final two stories were not able to keep my interest. The book is just worth the price for the first two stories
on 26 March 2013
love the story and caricters. will get my mother and frinds to read this. then we can chat about it
on 7 February 2016
Light hearted read as the title suggests for the holidays
on 11 May 2010
I bought this for the Rachel Morgan story, the other stories are good to. The condition of the book is great and it was delivered very quickly to.
on 27 December 2008
I love anthologies,, they are a great way to fin new authors. I got into Vicki Pettersson through reading this anthology and the Zodiac series is great and the short story in this collection is really nice.