Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 October 2007
Unbelievable. Read this book in one sitting. This is the second book of the postsecret series that I have bought and it didn't disappoint. A complete rollercoaster ride of emotion pours out of this book. Secrets that will make you laugh, make you cry, make you wish you could just give someone a hug and let them know it will be ok. While not a short book, I read it through really quickly because I just wanted to read about more and more peoples' secrets. I've visited the website every week for a year and can't get enough of this. Hard to believe this world-wide phenomenon started off as a small community art project...
on 18 October 2007
This postsecret book is a must read for everyone is enthralled by the Postsecret website. It is jam packed full of never seen before secrets which have been mailed in to the Author, Frank Warren. Some are funny, some are thought provoking and some are sad. Either way, it cannot help but make you think carefully about your own life. The only downside if there was one with this book was that i read it in 15 minutes flat. I could have read it and more postcards a thousand times over. It definately left me wanting to see more secrets. Infact, i shall be buying the previous books shortly. A definate good buy.
on 4 November 2007
This book is filled with the dark unspoken, underbellies of fellow human beings; it will prod you to consider your own secrets and perhaps, to be more human. For anyone who seeks solace in the company of others fortune or misery, or for those of you who'd sneak a peek under the diary's cover if given the chance -- this one as well as the other three Post Secret books by Frank Warren are for you. I also highly recommend the book Understanding: Train of Thought.
Have you ever told a stranger something that no one else knows about you? I often think that's the main purpose of sitting on long airplane flights: Confiding in strangers makes secret burdens emotionally lighter.

Frank Warren obviously understands that point and provides a needed outlet for those who can't even tell a stranger . . . but feel comfortable sending in a postcard with their secret on it. I'm sure thousands of people are walking a little lighter.

Much like watching a film of a disaster, you'll be counting your blessings as you review these often deeply painful admissions. In that way, your own secrets won't seem so heavy. I suspect that those with unshared secrets can benefit from both sharing and reading what others have shared. Many thanks to Frank Warren for coming up with this unique form of self-therapy.

It would be fascinating to ask people in a few years to send in another postcard to describe how sending the original one affected their lives.
One of the last postcards in the book explores that point: "i used to write my secrets on postcards that were never posted now i tell them to real people that know and care about me thanks, postsecret and goodbye"

My main caution is that I'm not sure how someone who is severely depressed and suicidal might react to this book. Some of the postcards reflect that condition, and someone inclined that way might find encouragement in reading what others have said.

From the point of view of wanting to understand others better, I was glad to learn about some secrets people hide that I wasn't aware of. I'll be more careful in the future about what I say on those subjects.

As I read the postcards, I was reminded of a seminar I attended two years ago where I met a man who told me his family had never celebrated his birthday and no one had hugged him in almost 20 years. Naturally, everyone took turns hugging him, and we held an impromptu birthday celebration. He looked like a new man.

I pray that those who sent in these postcards will enjoy years of unexpected hugs.

It's not all sadness. Some of the secrets are meant to be humorous. Others aren't all that serious . . . but will touch your heart nevertheless.
on 21 November 2007
Until I read this book, I only knew PostSecret from Frank Warren's blog which is on my weekly must-read list. I had resisted buying the previous books in the series because so often what's intriguing a few at a time becomes cloying when presented in a book.

This was not the case with A LIFETIME OF SECRETS: A POSTSECRET BOOK. I couldn't put it down until I'd read it through, and it left me feeling introspective and deeply connected.

For those not familiar with PostSecret, it began as a community art project in which Frank Warren ("America's most trusted stranger") invited people to send in secrets on decorated postcards. Every week he posts twenty of these anonymous postcards on his blog, PostSecret.com; a collection has traveled internationally as an art exhibit; and this is the fourth book of collected secrets.

So many heart-rending postcards! People share their alienation, anger, fear, desire, and even pride. Why do they send their secrets to Frank? Would you? Have you? I haven't (and won't), but something about the secrets has huge sympathetic appeal. There's nothing new in human nature and we all carry the seeds of all these secrets. Some resonate in us more than others, but can you really say that any of the feelings expressed are completely alien?

A LIFETIME OF SECRETS is the fourth book in the series. It's arranged roughly by the age of the secret-sharer, and this theme is certainly effective; you can, however, open it to any page and count on feeling a sense of kinship with the writer. I hope to keep this book for a while and will probably turn its pages many times. It's inevitable that some day I'll hear a friend mention something and I'll say, there's this book I HAVE to share with you; and they'll share it with someone else and I'll never see it again. And that's as it should be. (My secret: I hardly ever return books people lend me!)
on 13 December 2010
I bought this book as a christmas present for a person who loves the post secret website.
I looked through this book briefly and there are secrets that will make you laugh out loud and bring a tear to your eye.
It is the perfect book for the beside or coffee table to flick through time and time again.
on 5 February 2009
This is a wonderfully presented book with some truly remarkable revelations inside. It is constantly compelling to flick through, reading the always touching, sometimes comical and occasionally tragic secrets which are so beautifully collated.

It makes a wonderful present and comes highly recommended.
on 8 August 2009
This is the second post secrets book I have purchased, this second being as a gift for my sister who has yet to return my first book after over a year. I assume she will have both these books for a life time and I hope this emphasises how intriguing theses books are.
on 24 July 2009
Bought this for my daughter as well as the first one. Same style (of course) so the same review. Buy it if you want to be enthralled, sad, happy, curious and depressed all in the space of an hour.

A little comment can go a long way to making you think .....
on 12 January 2013
Big fan of the post secret website and was overjoyed when I found out they did books compiled with many many post secrets. Hours of laughter and emotional secrets to pass any time of the day.