4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent info to make a profit!
Very interesting, clearly written information to enable you, the poker player, to make better judgements at the table based on what other players are doing, not saying.

Decide if a player is bluffing, or has a strong hand just by studying their movements, feet and facial expressions.

The writing style is easy to follow, its extremely readable, and...
Published on 10 Feb. 2007 by Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing read.
This is a short book (200 large print pages) and, as someone else pointed out, printed on VERY poor quality paper. There are huge amounts of repetition and waffle and, in all honesty the main points of the book could fit into a magazine article. As such, from a value for money point if nothing else, it is poor value.
The information it does contained is very simple...
Published on 23 July 2007 by M. J. Lowe

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent info to make a profit!, 10 Feb. 2007
Martin (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells (Paperback)

The writing style is easy to follow, its extremely readable, and the black and white photographs are clear and very useful in illustrating the various tells Joe Navarro is explaining.

Obviously, this book is not much use for online play, but for live play, its a great introduction to the world of tells and making money from other players unconscious actions at the table.

Only slight criticism is the inferior quality paper used in the printing of the book, but the content is pure gold.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, solid book but not the complete picture., 15 Feb. 2010
M. Lindley (England) - See all my reviews
Each book should be judge on its own merits. The content of this book should be taken as an overview. As with any system of tells, there are no defined ways of saying someone is bluffing otherwise no-one ever would and the fun part of the game would be taken away. What this book does is to tell you not about poker but to judge the overall body language by grouping actions as a whole.

I play live and online poker and being able to look at an opponent in those fleeting moments when a flop comes down and they give just an ounce of information can be priceless. I would definitely say that the information I've gained from this book has helped my game as I've been able to see a range of movements from movement of legs to slight pursing of the lips when before I'd have missed it and perhaps been deceived. In some cases I've used it to make big calls on players when I would normally have folded to find it was the right move and I have won a good stack of chips. Conversely, I've folded hands where I thought I was ahead, folded and saved chips in the process.

I am currently re-reading this book for the third time. The book isn't the longest but each read embeds the information in that bit more and you get flashbacks of not only your opponents doing some of these things but yourself as well! Remember that while you're trying to read your opponents, they're trying to read you too! By understanding what you are trying to see in someone else you learn to not do it yourself and give less information.

By no means is this book perfect. It's a little short in pages and the paper might be cheap but I'm not too fussed about paper quality. It does edge towards "memoirs of an ex-FBI agent" as well as the in-book advertising of Camp Hellmuth but the fact is that Phil Hellmuth has now won something like 11 bracelets and aside from the poker-brat reputation he has a real skill in reading people. The stories from Navarro's time in the FBI and Hellmuth's Camps serve to reinforce the idea of non-verbal behaviour and analysing the information and for you to categories what you've seen or heard and make judgements accordingly.

I have a few and "Mike Caro's Book of Tells" is getting dated despite some of the good stuff in there. I'd certainly recommend this book to go as part of your collection. There is not one book on the market which will cover all of poker effectively but this covers an area from which a lot of people can learn, which I am pleased to save I have.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing read., 23 July 2007
The information it does contained is very simple and I'm sure anyone who has the slightest interest in poker `tells' will have heard it all before. His two major points seem to be "see if someone does something every time they bluff and watch for them to do it again - then you will know they are bluffing" and "when you bluff or bet for value always act the same way". Hardly going to set the table alight with information like that.
Also, on a more personal note, `Joe Navarro' isn't a poker pro, or even someone who seems to know a lot about the game. He is an `expert' in `non verbal communication' - he works for the FBI (and mentions this approximately twice every page, and sounds incredibly smug as he does so - "Once while questioning a guy in the middle east he kept looking at the floor so I knew he was lying...") and so the examples often have little clear link to the game. Phil Hellmuth pops up from time to time and when he isn't plugging "Camp Hellmuth" he say things like "Once I noticed that my opponent touched her nose when she was bluffing I cleaned up...". Don't expect in-depth real game examples from these two.

All in all I would not recommend this to anyone looking to improve their poker game - if you want to read a good book about tells check out Mike Caro for a start. This really strikes me as a rip-off cashing in on Hellmuths image when he cant be arsed to write a book about the subject himself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 18 Mar. 2008
So this isn't the best made book, and Joe Navarro isn't a poker player. But I do believe this book is capable of telling players who find it difficult to read "Caro's book of Tells" a clear understanding on what to look for. I am not the best of reading players, but this book has helped to notice a number of things which some of my opponents I regularly play live do, which tells me whether they have a hand or are bluffing. It also has some new ideas, which Caro does not have printed, which he gives an idea on why they do certain things, which I have also considered to be useful.

I am not saying this book is better Caro, it's not even on the same league, Caro's is still the main man for understanding poker tells. But Navarro's book would be a very good supplement, the modern look on the sid e of tells and should be considered to be bought by any player serious on improving their live poker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book of tells, 5 Jan. 2012
Ath K. Nikolopoulos (Kos, Greece) - See all my reviews
Well, this is the most famous, up to date book about poker tells.

From a man, known as a human lie detector, this book comes with full explanation not only of what to look for but also why... So you don't just see the poker tells but also understand why they appear, thus making it easier to memorise them.

Excellent addition to any poker library, essential to anyone sserious about live poker, even for just covering your own tells to opponents that look for them...

PS: I had previously purchased the book (about a couple of years ago) and always kept coming back to it for revisiting the tells I should look for. My first copy had an "accident" (falling off a boat to the sea and getting lost - I had it as a company reading for a trip I had)...

So as soon as I returned I purchased it again. Super attactive price for a super valuable item, it was a no brainer...

If I got it twice, you understand how much it helped me(and still does) on my live poker sessions...

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I've read it, but don't think it's gonna turn you into a poker pro, 11 Mar. 2013
I think the book is useful for anybody playing live poker, however there are certain things in the book that although true, happen very rarely at the poker table and are perhaps overly emphasised. Overall, a good read but putting the material to use requires time at the tables whilst the material is still fresh in your mind imo

5.0 out of 5 stars actually much much better than caro's, 25 May 2010
W. D. Mitchell (singapore) - See all my reviews
I read this book and also caro's book of poker tells, I much preferred this one, despite what the other reviewers have commented I think there is much more science presented here explaining the underlying causes to the actions giving you a much deeper understanding of the subject, I felt caro's book on the other hand was more of a shopping list of unsubstantiated opinions and prejudice on what various actions at the table mean, such as "few blacks play to win ", this book gives you the science of what is going on behind each tell as well as how easy it is to cover up or fake.

I think that the parts of the book where he talks about his experience in the FBI is actually enlightening and does indeed substantiate the tell science in a very strong way. I think for players who are mathematically/scientifically inclined this is a much stronger book which presents the science of tells rather than a rabid gamblers collection of anecdotes of how he scratched his nose twice and looked at his chips so I knew he has 7 2 offsuit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poker Gold!!!, 14 Mar. 2007
Stuart Saunders (Whitburn, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Fantastic from start to finish and such an easy read. The examples are clear to follow and you can apply the techniques and advice immediately to both Poker and everyday life. The fact that this book gave Phil Hellmuth new information and ideas on tells after 9 WSOP bracelets just shows how current and on the money this book is. You'll never play poker the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Jan. 2015
Very good

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too obvious at times..., 28 Jun. 2007
Not a bad book, but it doesnt contain a lot of surprising information. So if you're a social person you will find 70% of the book pretty obvious.