5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
M IS FOR MAGIC is a collection of eleven short stories. This book was geared for elementary/middle school but I thought that I couldn't read many of the stories aloud in my classroom because some of the themes are pretty adult.

Published on 20 Aug 2007 by TeensReadToo

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
Was very disappointed by the content as many of the stories had previously appeared in "Smoke and Mirrors" and this was not made clear in the product description. Would not have bought it if I had known.
Published on 16 May 2012 by alismum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 20 Aug 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: M Is for Magic (Hardcover)

I liked many of the stories, especially THE WITCH'S HEADSTONE. This was a story about a real boy who was living in a graveyard and being raised by ghosts. He decides to do a very kind thing for a ghost who didn't get a gravestone and the story follows the adventure that goes with that decision.

I also enjoyed THE CASE OF FOUR AND TWENTY BLACKBIRDS. It was a detective story set with nursery rhyme characters. The detective needs to solve the mystery of who killed Humpty Dumpty. It is told with attitude and is very funny.

There are also stories that are scary or just plain creepy. The story about the jack-in-the-box just gave me chills. So if you want to read some good, strange stories that only take about an hour to read, check this book out.

Reviewed by: Marta Morrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Not many new stories, 21 Oct 2007
This review is from: M Is for Magic (Hardcover)
Most of these short stories are found in Neil Gaiman's other anthologies: 'Smoke and Mirrors' and 'Fragile Things', so expect nothing new except for the first and last story, if you already have these 2 books. If you haven't, then this is probably a good way begin. Whilst the stries themselves are exceptional, for this book itself, if it wasnt for the addition of 2 new stories, I may have given it 3 stars, as you are better off sticking to the other anothologies.

4.0 out of 5 stars M is for Marvellous!, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
This collection of Neil Gaiman's short stories is aimed at his younger fans. Featuring a few stories gleaned from his adult collections Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors as well as a few not previously collected,it's a great introduction to Gaiman's writing and would suit any young fantasy reader (and older).

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 16 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars M is for Magic - is magic indeed, 7 Jun 2009
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
M is for Magic Neil Gaiman is a modern-day 'Brothers Grimm' - he has perfected the art of writing fairy tales for our time and for all age groups. I unconditionally recommend that you read everything he has ever written - you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy read... not the greatest of Gaiman's work, 5 Oct 2010
Mr. Wesley H. Winegarden "WH Winegarden" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
A few things should be considered before purchasing this book. Firstly, this collection of short stories is aimed at the early teen market. Secondly, it is by Neil Gaiman, and author not afraid to branch out and try new things, and lastly it is very short... Even shorter than the 249 pages would have you believe, as the print is quite large and spaced out.

With that in mind, the content varies. Some of the stories are fantastic, some are average and some are a bit poor. Saying that however, hardcore Gaiman fans will find something to entertain.

A warning to parents who are planning on buying this book for their kids! Some of the stories contain drinking, and mild sexual references. Nothing too shocking, but something you may wish to avoid if your child is very young.

All-in-all though, this book was a decent purchase, but I wish there was more of the Neil Gaiman magic that pours out of the pages of his better novels like Coroline, and Neverwhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parents be warned..., 21 Feb 2010
Mr. G. Barlow "Liker of all sorts..." (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
First off, Great stuff!
I read it and lapped it up!

ANYHOWS, this was originally a gift for my little girl, who is getting into disappearing and reading books on her own.
Doing the right thing, and remembering how much I enjoyed Coraline, I thought I'd check it out before she got into it.

By no means am I a prude, but I would highly recommend checking this out before giving it to any child to make sure you are happy with he content. "Troll Bridge" gives an anatomical description of a very naked, very male troll and later deals with characters discussing their virginity, sticky fumbles and "Getting laid".

I think Neil Gaiman is a brilliant author and will certainly be picking up Graveyard Book for my little girl - but like this, will be reading it first to make sure of its suitability.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Neil Gaiman, 14 April 2013
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
I've always been a Neil Gaiman fan and this book was filled with great short stories I can get through quickly (when your waiting on dinner cooking or in the bath). They are varied with no two alike and the book also contains the short story which lead Gaiman to write "The Graveyard Book" my sister has since borrowed it and loved it too. Great stories to fill the short stops we get to enjoy a seat and cup of tea.

3.0 out of 5 stars PARENTS BEWARE THIS IS NOT FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN!, 12 May 2012
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
I bought this for my 10 year old daughter as she loved 'Coraline'. However, the second story about the troll contributed more to her education than I would have liked although we passed it off as a huge giggle. I have suggested she save this book for later as she may end up having to read it to a classroom assistant at school and would die of embarassment! So parents beware... this particular story contains some very adult themes which may not be suitable for younger readers with advanced reading abilities!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good collection of short stories - but beware, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
BEWARE - if you own Coraline and other stories - Do NOT waste your money on this book - the stories are EXACTLY the same, in exactly the same order - but with the Coraline story at the start.
Having said that, apart from 'The Witches Headstone' which is a chapter from 'The Graveyard Book' book, Gaiman's other books, 'Fragile Things' and 'Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions' also contain (From Fragile) October In The Chair;Instructions;How To Talk To Girls At Parties; Sunbird; (From Smoke & Mirrors) Chilvary;The Price;Troll Bridge; Don't Ask Jack.
The quality of the stories is not up for debate, Gaiman tells a good tale, often retelling a tale you know, without it being obvious.
The sad bit is that publishers duplicate so many stories across different books and leave the reader feeling slightly cheated - which with Gaiman's writing we should not. I like the slightly scary edge to the stories, they remind me of my childhood ghost stories I read and enjoyed. If your child has an imagination and zest for reading do not deprive them of the opportunity to be a little scared, later in life they will be able to laugh whilst others tremble.
Only 4 stars because I already owned Coraline and other stories

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

M Is for Magic
M Is for Magic by Neil Gaiman (Hardcover - July 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01