5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual journeying

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
OK book
Published 27 days ago by E. Biernath

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual journeying, 4 Nov 2007
This review is from: When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions (Plus) (Paperback)
This is a book about waiting as the title suggests, and is an essential read for anyone who feels that they are waiting on God. Yes, Sue Monk Kidd writes about her waiting resulting from midlife crisis, but the nature of her specific 'wait' is somewhat irrelevent to the message of the book. She explores the concept of a 'call' to wait; that God's purpose for us may require that we spend a period of 'active waiting' in preparation for what is to come. Throughout the book she weaves in the imagery of the caterpillar, who 'waits' cocooned in the darkness of the chrysalis, waiting to become a beautiful butterfly: the glorious embodiment of the 'true self'. But, as you will see, the wait itself becomes almost as important as the unfurling of wings.

This is a beautiful read, which I guarantee will enhance your spiritual journeying. If you read this book, Sue Monk Kidd will become a treasured travelling companion on that journey.

Odd though this may seem, I thoroughly recommend that you read this alongside 'Hope for the Flowers' by Trina Paulus, a children's book about caterpillars Yellow and Stripe, to which Monk Kidd frequently makes reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comforting friend for midlife upheaval of the soul., 19 Sep 1996
By A Customer
Anyone who is beginning to awaken to the passage of time, in particular, one's own life, will find a kindred spirit among the pages of this book. It's a wonderful companion for quiet musings, meditation or prayer. Sue Monk Kidd's sensitive detail and vivid recounting of her own dilemma's make this book a must read for any woman encountering the huge questions of life. Why am I here? What is my purpose? Who am I after all the hats are off?

4.0 out of 5 stars 'When the Heart Waits', 8 Jun 2011
H. Renshaw "Heulwen Renshaw" (Anglesey, North Wales. U.K.) - See all my reviews
A relaxing book to read, I found it difficult to put down, I think it's the only book that I read in a couple of days. It makes one 'think' about 'life' and opens up one's mind to reality and relationships. Good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well used, 23 April 2014
Good well written and much used purchase. A book to return to and I often do, it has helped others too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A friend lent me this book but I just HAD to have my own copy, 11 Aug 2013
Sue Monk Kidd writes of knowing God in such a deep way, she is well read and uses quotations that reveal this.
Having read this, underlined and high-lighted it, I had to read two of her novels.I was certainly not disappointed in the Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair, they are well written and a cracking good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you do it?, 19 Aug 2012
A must for every woman of "a certain age" who has realised she doesn't really know who she is and is brave enough to go on the journey

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, 12 Sep 2011
I. C. Mcnair (Kent) - See all my reviews
2nd hand book which was described as in good condition and I would agree with that description. It was promptly delivered as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation of my own struggles, 26 Aug 1997
By A Customer
Sue Monk Kidd's book has been a confirmation to my own mid-life spiritual struggles. The past few years have been spent trying to determine what "church" means and how it differed from my own spiritual pilgrimage. This book affirmed in many ways my own experiences.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent book. I love the idea of a metamorphosis ..., 16 July 2014
This is an excellent book. I love the idea of a metamorphosis of the soul and Sue Monk Kidd writes of the process of that
with profound insight.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 July 2014
E. Biernath "Book worm" (LEAMINGTON SPA, Warks, GB) - See all my reviews
OK book

When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions (Plus)
9.19