5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ONE book my wife kept nearby while she was dying
When my wife Sandy was diagnosed with terminal cancer, this is the ONE book she kept nearby at home and in the hospital. She found great comfort in it words and wisdom.
Published on 3 Nov 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother
Regardless of the merits of Crowley's translation, this is a shoddy publication: the Introduction has been omitted as have the trigrams that are supposed to be part of the first chapter.
Published on 18 May 2010 by Jason Pilley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ONE book my wife kept nearby while she was dying, 3 Nov 1998
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
When she died I picked it up and began to read. Several passages fell right open (8 & 16). These were the passages that she must have been reading the most. So I read those passages at her funeral. I'm still reading this book and finding something new with each reading. Even if a passage may not make sense on the first or second reading, it may become clear by the fifth or sixth. Or maybe it will take years.
Sandy was a poet and teacher who studied many translations of the Tao, but this was her favorite. It may not be the most literal translation, but it surely is the most poetic. If this translation was good enough for her, then it's good enough for me.
In fact, this book is so good, I've given away at least 8 copies in the two months since her death. This book has helped me deal with and survive the most difficult time in my life. I'm much wiser and more open having read this book. My friends to whom I've given copies agree and are sharing it with their friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A poetic interpretation of a timeless classic, 5 Mar 1999
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
Mitchell's work is not for purists of textual criticism or hermeneutics. Literal translations of ancient documents tend to be dry and awkward. Mitchell's loose paraphrase and notes are refreshing and agreeable. The spirit of this work is both heartfelt and delightful. It is a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - Aleister Crowley, 21 Jan 2010
Ms. M. M. L. Packwood (Wellingborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
Crowley's interpretation of the Tao Te Ching is not as subtle or as gentle as the original work of Lao Tzu. In the original Tao Te Ching - the way of the watercourse , is a very gentle one. Because it is very zen buddhist it is non interventionist. As a result there is no need to fight or struggle as all things pass in time. Crowley has a problem with this. Essentially he knows that there is a need to let go of things and let them be - all is clouded by desire; yet through his nature and character and of course ego, he cannot. As a result his Tao Te Ching is one of asking for things to happen and to change - a magical Tao. There is an attempt here to blend the zen buddhism of the tao with a spiritual path - which at times works and at other times doesn't. There is a smattering of the I Ching in his Tao Te Ching which at times appears tongue in cheek regarding the Way of the Tao. However it is poetic and philosophical and in turn both naive and wise, profound and vain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, 18 May 2010
Jason Pilley - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, 27 Dec 2012
Good for dipping into for a short piece that prompts new thoughts. I look forward to reading it in brief spells from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those seeking the truth., 2 Aug 1998
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
To translate work that transcends what is and what is not, is not a simple task. Stephen does a good job. This book gave me salvation when I needed it most.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not the Tao Te Ching, 25 Jan 1998
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
Sweetly written. Purely subjective, PERSONAL, POLITICIZED, interpretation of a revered, and ancient work of wisdom. If you know nothing of Taoism, you'll like this. If you wish to hear the voices of the ancient Chinese masters, you won't find them here.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book can resonate with your spiritual heart., 22 Dec 1997
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
Whether this is an academically accurate interpretation of Taoism I don't know. I know that this book speaks to me. Mitchell time and again is able to write a phrase that stimulates something in me that I can't put into words. His notes are as much part of the translation as the regular text. I made a photocopy of them, reduced them and pasted them on the page of text they referred to. I can't recommed his book to highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK IS GREAT AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND., 20 Dec 1997
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
I am 14 years old and I am new to Taoism. I have read this book and it has given me a new philosophy on life. I have read other interpretations and translations of the Tao te Ching and this is easiest to understand. That is especially good for young people like me. I understand the way life works and the Way itself much better. I hope to be a taoist all my life and be very experienced and knowledgable. I am also interested in I-Ching, Tarot, runecraft (runes), and symbolism.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., 28 Jan 1999
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
Between the pages of are rare treasures indeed. The original text of the Tao could never be translated directly to English without sacrificing it's inherent simplicity; Mitchell accomplishes this impossible task with ease. While other translations of this work appeal to the high intellect -- and as such have different merit -- this one speaks (quite simply) to the soul.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9fb8f108)

Tao Te Ching (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
Tao Te Ching (Harper Perennial Modern Classics) by Stephen Mitchell (Paperback - 18 Nov 2006)
Used & New from: 0.05