Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2009
Brilliant read, I would recommend to everyone whether or not you have read the others in the series. Our hero of the story is one Ian Mcphie, a vampire that has been trapped in the body of a 15 year old until now. With the new stay awake drug he is now in the body of a 27 year old man. Finally feeling as though he is in the right body he sets about achieving the second item on his wish list. Finding everlasting love. But the women of the time have changed and he is unsure how he should approach this latest goal so he turns to his friend Vanda who sets him up on the internet. Soon women are poring into see him, desperate for just a glimpse. Finally he may be able to find the lady vamp for him. But then he meets Toni.

Toni is the new female day guard for the vamps and as soon as Ian see's her, he's not sure that a female vamp could ever compare. But Toni isn't all that she seems. She has a hidden agenda that involves her friend a mental hospital and the exposure of the vampires. All she needs is proof, and to not give in to the irresistible charm of a certain vampire. But for her to stand a chance of saving her friend she might have to let one of "them" in and risk him taking up permanent residence in her heart.

Funny, sexy and just downright adorable a definite must read.
on 15 December 2008
With Kerrelyn Sparks' vampire stories you know what you get - a group of nice and honourable vampires, many of whom are Scottish, working against the 'Malcontents', a rival group of vampires who are killers. You also tend to get a heroine (or in one case hero) who is human and who doesn't get turned into a vampire by the end of the book because they don't want to be one (rather awkward when each book sets out the advantages of vampirism). As this is book number 5 in the series the cast of characters has widened and we meet most of those from previous books, catching up a little with their lives, but this story is written in such a way that a reader could start with this book and still follow what's going on.

Ian MacPhie had rather a problem in the previous books - the fact that he was turned into a vampire aged 15 and so has permanently youthful looks. However, as briefly mentioned in a previous book, he has realised that Roman Draganesti's "Stay-Awake Potion" (which enables a vampire to stay awake during the daytime but has the side effect of aging them a year per day) might help him to look older and so he's been taking it. In this story we learn that Ian has had 12 days with the Stay-Awake potion and now looks like a 27-year-old. This causes some confusion as many people don't recognise him but it also has another unexpected benefit - that women start chasing him around.

Ian's not looking for a short-term relationship, however; he wants what some of his friends have got, a long-term permanent relationship. Only he knows a relationship with a mortal won't be satisfactory so he joins an online dating site to try to reach vampires. As most of the calls are from humans and come in during his daytime sleep one of the daytime guards, newly-appointed Toni Davis, ends up having to deal with telephone calls and women camping outside to get a glimpse of him.

Toni's motives for becoming a daytime guard are somewhat suspect and Ian begins to wonder if there's more to it than she explains. As Ian and Toni spend time together he realises she has secrets, ones she isn't willing to share with a vampire. Toni's friend Carlos is also rather unusual. Can Toni rescue her friend Sabrina with Ian's help? Can Ian find the perfect Vampire consort? Can Toni's lifelong dreams be accommodated to her new reality?

As with the other books, this is a light but pleasant read. The Christmas theme in the book is fairly understated and in fact could have been dispensed with altogether without anyone noticing. The actual plot in this story at times dragged a little and the bad guys were forever teleporting away when things got interesting, but overall it was a good enough read for a relaxing afternoon.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008
on 8 March 2009
I am in love with Ian McPhie...In previous books he is in a body of fifteen years old boy but in book four he takes a day time drug created by a brilliant cientist named Roman. He then aged 12 years and meets Toni.....and boy things heat up. I have truly enjoyed reading this book. It has alot of humorous moments and at times I even laughed out loud. Brilliant......
on 20 August 2010
I was uncertain about it; but thought what the hell I've probably read worse. I'm glad I took the risk, though. Much to my suprise, I found the story, and its characters, entertaining. I especially liked how the lead characters. When I started this book, I did not realize it was part 5 of a series. I thought the author created a story that stood on its own; and apprecieted the fact that you did not have to read the previous books in the series to enjoy and follow this one. One of the things that suprised me the most was the explicit detail of sex scenes. I've read numerous romance novels in the past, so the fact that there were "scenes" was no suprise. However, these scenes were more "racy" and detailed than I expectated. Despite the scenes, the story was still good. As for recommeding this book, if you are looking for a fun, easy, and yes, typical romance novel, this is the book for you.
on 19 June 2012
This is the book I've been waiting to get to in this series, because Ian had the most build-up and anticipation created through his fascinating back-story as a teenage vamp. I'm sad to say that it let me down a wee bit. The story was good, but considering this is Ian, who wants more than anything to find true love, it's ironic, then, that it was the romance aspect that I found disappointing. Indeed, I believed the love between Jean-Luc and Heather much more in the previous book than I did between Ian and Toni here.

It could just be a case of my expectations being too high, but I don't think so. You see, it starts out with a set up that's kind of a spin on The Bachelor, whereby Ian insists he needs to find a vampire bride so that he can be honest and not lie to her, even though he's increasingly attracted to Toni who is a new day guard. I wanted at this point to observe that he wouldn't have to lie to Toni about being a vamp either, since she clearly already knows, so that "conflict" was completely moot, but hey. I guess the main point was that she still wasn't a vamp, and he wanted a bride he can be with for centuries, not decades.

So, naturally they resist each other for a while and Ian goes speed dating with a bajillion air-headed vamps, all the while thinking of Toni. This part I actually enjoyed because it made Toni really stand out and seem so clearly the best choice of partner for Ian. It was when they finally got together that it started failing for me. It happened too soon, it was such an instant mind-change it nearly gave me whiplash. And I also found the sex scenes a little uninspiring this time too, which all together added up to...just, blah.

However, I thought the background plot was better- we were back fighting the malcontents- and I was glad to see the development at the end and what that might mean for future vampire brides. I am also ultimately glad Ian got his HEA, but I just wanted something a bit more. *sad face*

3 Stars!
on 8 June 2013
love this book its the best one of this series about a vampire turned at the age of 15 to save his life (he was dying on a battle field when a good vampire came across him and turned him to save his life) who has lived for hundreds of years in a 15 year olds body (because obviously he couldnt age after being turned) who then takes a "stay awake drug" designed to keep vampires awake during the day but which has the unfortunate side effect of aging vampires 1 year for each day they stay awake... so he takes it for 12 days to age 12 years and then proceeds to look for a life mate to share eternity with... and then he finds toni who has taken on a job as day guard to the vampires and who he ends up falling in love with....

amazing book and one i ll read again and again and again..... highly recommend you read this book!
on 4 April 2010
Vampire romance. Absolutely loved it. Part of the Love at Stake series. Irish fellows are hot!
Contains sexual bits, but not sexually explicit. Contains action.
Perfect mixture of Love, Vampires, Action and Sexual Feelings.
Keeps you wanting to read more.
on 28 January 2012
I'm a big fan of vampire books but not chick lit and this is a mix of both.I also love scottish rascals so it was for that reason i kept reading.It didn't make me laugh and the fact that Ian McPhie was turned at 15 yrs old but has'aged'to 27 because of a drug a bit creepy.Surely in his mind he is still adolescent?
It started well with a friend of Tonis' being locked up in a mental hospital after telling the police she was attacked by vampires but went downhill for me once she managed to get a job as a bodyguard for the undead.Quite a bit of action and many characters makes this a fast paced book.
I gave it 3* because it was well written and would appeal as it does to many,just not me.
on 12 September 2015
Loved this book, the whole series is witty and funny with romance and action included. Toni and Ian's story is a must, but I would recommend reading the whole series from the beginning as characters reoccur.
on 13 March 2012
Absolutely fantastic series. I don't usually pay this much for my ebooks, but I bought the whole series. I've read them all and I just love them. They're so funny as well.