5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sci-fi books I've read in months!
I was so enchanted with this book that I set it down after the third page, albeit with difficulty, and typed the text from pages 1 through 3 and sent it out as an email to my friends. Steele's writing is _that_ good.
Published on 11 Feb 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Hero is a Educationaly Sub-normal
Published on 18 Mar 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sci-fi books I've read in months!, 11 Feb 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
This "Near Space" future of Steele's is a complex and exciting place, but the good pacing and delightful writing feeds it to us a piece at a time in a very believable fashion; I felt that I missed nothing from not having read the earlier works in this universe, although I plan to correct that misfortune soon. :)
William Alec Tucker, III's recovery from a mindlessness brought on by his resurrection through learning the intricacies of late 21st century living is more than just a device to introduce that world to the reader. It is also the vehicle for a character development that is especially exceptional for this genré. While Steele's "Near Space" is reminiscent of Niven's "Known Space" in its breadth, consistency, and believability, the journey of self-discovery that William Tucker goes through reminded me more of Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."
The technical correctness, strong coherency, and brilliant character development are joined by Steele's good command, and use, of the English language. Although not up to the lofty linguistic levels of, say, Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale", (one of my all-time favorite examples of good writing,) the vocabulary is nonetheless rich and full of facile description. I look forward to reading something where Allen Steele is not restricted to a first-person narrative.
This is writing of rare quality, and I heartily encourage any serious science fiction reader to savor "A King of Infinite Space."

2.0 out of 5 stars Hero is a Educationaly Sub-normal, 18 Mar 2010
Amazon Customer (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Lots of twists and turns in the plot so the story skips along at a fair wack, then you get to the ending! Without doing a spoiler let's say that there is a really huge and surprising plot twist! Problem is that it is completely unconvincing. The set up of the turn-a-round would be so complex that it'd be impossible to execute, even if the reason for doing it was credible, it's not.

Our hero has been running under the radar because he is pretending to be a person of low IQ. The final twist and cliffhanger is about what job he gets offered after going through all these maturing experiences. Well I was expecting something pretty awesome, what he in fact gets offered is equivalent to watching paint dry (for 70 years!).

So maybe the author is telling us that the narrator is completely unreliable and really is a moron?

5.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction readers need more books from Allen Steele, 20 May 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
While intensely binging on SciFi books in the last five months, I found myself putting aside Asimov and A.C. Clarke in order to read the too few, still available books Allen Steele has had time to write. Actually, "A king of infinite space" was the first A. Steele novel I have read, which prompted me to immediately purchase "The Jericho Iteration" and "The Tranquility Alternative". From novel to novel, Allen seems to be consistent in his delivery of suspensful and ingeniously crafted science fiction. The relentless pace of events leaves the reader gratefully exhausted but still wanting more. "How soon can you write another novel, Allen?".

2.0 out of 5 stars Blowing Purple Chunks of Reason, 5 July 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
I like all of Mr. Steeles works. Well, that is no longer a true statement. The book description sounds fantastic! The book reality is shatteringly bad.
I have never been so bored with a 'Steele' book. The plot is drawn out longer than Coney Island summer taffy. This should have been a short story.
I expected insights and conclusions. What I got were a bunch of "high flautin" aliens and some space robber barons that fancied themselves pirates. Yuck!
This book could have gone in so many interesting ways; too bad it avoided all of them. Save your money and buy a copy of Larry Niven's A WORLD OUT OF TIME. Same premise... handled with more style!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Cruel, 21 July 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is as cruel to the reader as the three characters Chris, Anna and Mr Chicago are cruel to Alec, the main character. The surprise ending turned my guts inside-out. Chris, Anna and Mr Chicago all have reasons to justify how they have treated Alec, and Alec is even convinced that he may have deserved it (I personally hope that Alec is plotting his revenge). In the end, I think that Alec is by far the better person of any of them. I'm not sure, but I think the leson of the story is that any amount of cruelty can be justified. I rated this book as high as I did because it made me think long and hard about what had happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars genious...Genious...GENIOUS!!!!, 22 Jan 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
I started this book (I bought it in the supermarket check-out line) at 6pm and COULD NOT put it down until I was done at 2:30am. I got so into it that I just had to hold my own New Years celebration and broke out the green and black olives, cubed cheese and fruit punch.
Steele is a prose poet. Funny,insightful and able to actually put movement onto the page that the reader can feel with her eyes!!!
Break out the champagne, snuggle up in your feety jammies and prepare yourself for... a truly unique ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sci-Fi, gripping and overall a good read, 26 Nov 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Allen Steele, and I enjoyed it immensly. I found the story line gripping and the style of writing keeps you engrossed. I didn't want to put it down. The only slight cliche was the premise that the current time breeds more imaginative and challenging individuals than the future! Really, why? Especially when those who were signed up for immortality were the comfortable rich! Still putting this aside, I did enjoy this book, which has lots of good twists and turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of Infinite Cool..., 6 May 1999
This review is from: A King of Infinite Space (Mass Market Paperback)
I can't recomend this book highly enough. Steele manages to paint a suitable bizarre enough picture of the future that you could see it happening. The strong science and brilliant character development, as well as some truely original and entertaining storytelling all combine to glue this book to your hands. I couldn't put it down. This is easily one of the best sci-fi books I've read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well paced read..., 11 Feb 2013
Good story telling keeps you engaged and interested. The ending is quite unexpected and a clever play on the characters role in the story.

Still unsure how the title relates to the content but that doesn't detract from the content. Gives hope to those who plan to freeze their head when they die, in that respect, a bit like Futurama.

A King of Infinite Space
A King of Infinite Space by Allen M. Steele (Mass Market Paperback - Feb 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01