Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2012
I really loved this book. It was simply breathtaking, so much so that I immediately ordered the other books in the saga. The writing was brilliant. It is the story of Hunter, a Comanche and Loretta, a white woman. Hunter takes Loretta believing that she is the woman in an ancient prophecy and it is his destiny to be with her. At first the 2 hate each other because of the war between their people but gradually they begin to love each other. However, before their love is realised, they have to undergo many trials and overcome prejudices. The book illustrated the tensions between the Indians and "white man" and at times could be very graphic in its depiction of the savagery which both races must have endured . However, I felt it was a genuine account of the times and hardships. I love Native American history and culture and I felt that the author brought these elements into the story and was very realistic about them.

This is more than a love story. It was just amazing to read and I really felt lost in the novel. Wonderful.
on 9 April 2013
This is the first book in CA's Comanche series and it is one of the best interracial romances I have ever read. It was so authentic, the native american comanche words and phrases linger long after you have read the tale. The book portrays life between the whites and the comanches in the 18th century.

I loved Hunter and Loretta's tale and the difficulties they have to overcome to find love in times of war and strong prejudices between the races. It shows that love can overcome anything.

First class writing and tale, please read this book, simple words cannot describe how good it is.
on 17 February 2014
I absolutely loved this book. It is beautifully written and from the beginning, the dialogue was cracking , the action non stop and the love story incredible. I loved the scenes of Native American Comanche life, the phrases and words that were used and the background characters. Ms Anderson does not flinch from mentioning the atrocities that were perpetrated on both sides. This is no hippyish tale of mystical braves leading an idyllic life. The love story takes a while to get going as both hero and heroine have major issues, not least Loretta, the heroine, having seen both her parents horribly murdered by Comanches. The hero, Hunter, has been through similar horror, this time perpetrated by Whites. Nonetheless, when it does get going, it is steamy. There are many misunderstandings, many twists and turns, all the time with a background of Native American life. The one part of the book that I didn't like was when Loretta killed Hunter's horse. I didn't think there was any justification for it and I couldn't sympathise with her. For this reason and also due to the fact that she is at times incredibly stupid, the book gets 4 stars instead of 5.
If you like this genre, you will love this. I read it in two sittings and it's a long book.
on 3 March 2015
From one western writer to another, well done. I love this story and became so enthralled with the characters that I found myself reading well into the night. It grabbed me from the start and held me until I could no longer keep my eyes open. The main female characters are so endearing especially Loretta before she got her speech back. Her interaction with Hunter and his patience and gentleness with her even though she reacted violently to his clumsy way of wooing her, keeps the reader wanting more knowing that eventually their feelings for each other will override any simmering hatred. The ending was to me, half expected but told in beautiful way. I will certainly read more of Catherine Anderson's books.
Ken Coleman.
on 26 May 2014
This book set me off reading .western historical romances, but I'm yet to find one that betters it. Great storyline, characters you care about and root for, some hold-your-breath moments and sizzling scenes.

All romances go from A to B, but the best ones leave you with no idea how that journey is going to be achieved.

And did anyone see the old cover for this book? It was a miracle that they sold any copies in its old jacket!
on 29 December 2014
Rating~ 3.5-3.75 stars.

This book already has some awesome reviews so I'll keep mine very short.

I liked this, though this is nowhere great as Annie's Song was but it was still pretty good.

Quibbles: Hunter's cousin Red Buffalo. God I hated him and I was so annoyed by Hunter whenever he would be like Red Buffalo is my brother and wanted Loretta to forgive him really?
on 12 July 2014
Cannot say enough about this wonderful book. Read it on Kindle and have bought the book. It has wonderful characters; a believable plot and is highly entertaining. I learnt loads about the Comanche people, their culture and way of life. C. Anderson was definitely inspired when she wrote this book. Just lovely....
on 17 August 2015
I really enjoyed this beautiful story. The story kept me gripped all the way through. Will download book two now.
on 2 December 2015
I have never read a bad Catherine Anderson book, and this was no exception.
on 15 June 2016
Best interacial historical romance. Authentic and moving.