on 15 October 2007
Thanks to the doubtful reviews I almost didn't buy this book but I am so glad that I did. Isabel is not at all like me so it was interesting to identify with such a diffent character and Ren is just sexy...I don't like their initial encounter but I'm a hardcore romantic so that doesn't count! All hang-ups are explained...the part about oral sex is because she doesn't like to lose control. If you like SEP buy it because it's high up on my list of favourites and if you've never read SEP before if you are looking for romance, laughs and men you just want to take home with you BUY THIS BOOK!!!
on 25 September 2003
I always enjoy Susan Elizabeth Phillips books and this is not an exception. The humour is there as well as the tolerant way she has of looking at people and places: this is probably why I like her so much i.e. her positive way of painting pictures of life without becoming too shallow. SEP's books are usually very 'American', but I thoroughly enjoyed the setting of this book in Italy. Being a European I think it's very interesting to see how American writers look at some aspects of today's Europe. All the books in this genre are essentially escapist and that's probably the main reason to why we buy and read them. And I really believe that we all need breathing room now and then; this book may be an inspiration to listen to yourself and realise it might be a good idea to - if possible - get away from it all and do something completely different for a while. The love-story is a good one: some tantalizing sex-scenes, some ups-and-downs and finally a happy ending and - as we are to understand - a continued inspired, active and imaginative sex-life between our heroine and hero. We like that!
on 20 January 2010
I almost didn't buy this because of the negative reviews but I really enjoyed it. I love the dialogue and exchanges between the two main characters; they had a sizzling energy running between them. The story line is a bit daft but I don't read SEP for hard hitting reality.
One of my favourites.
on 5 January 2011
The book to me was one of those books you read just to past the time. It started out really good and I was really enjoying it, but then it went horribly wrong the whole storyline about the town is just OTT, however saying that I did feel the relationship between the main characters was really entertaining to read, but the whole thing as a whole didn't do it for me.

It's an ok read that all I can say, I don't hate it but then I don't love it either.
on 8 October 2003
I have to agree with Carina, and I haven't even read the ending yet. A great read to escape with. Beautifully descriptive with scenery food and the sex scenes! Quite light hearted which is nice as it doesn't take it's self to seriously! There are some wonderful tips hidden in this book if you are having relationship problems!
The only negative thing I can say about this book is the typos! Ren - the attractive actor in the love story has he's name spelt differently many times and it can be a bit confusing! Especially when one chapter starts off with a romantic scene and Isabel is lying on a table with Ben?! Where did he come from?!
But all in all a great easy read but it is quite a girly book!
on 23 September 2013
This book is quite humorous, full of sarcastic retorts !! A definite read, however the ending is not as impressive as expected and hence I chose to give it 4 stars! otherwise this one for sure deserved a 5 star (first 3/4 part)
on 11 December 2012
I enjoy the writings of Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I have been reading her books for years.
This story is light reading and very enjoyable to just pass the time.
on 4 January 2015
Loved everything about it _ must read for fans of Susan Elizabeth Phillips- one of her best books - and she has had some great ones!
on 26 May 2004
Susan E. Phillips is known for writing funny and vivid scenes. Setting this book in Tuscany just tops it off. She describes beautiful scenes of Italy and a romance developing. Developing with hickups, you might say. This book is different from SEP's usual books, in that it involves a bit more of suspense and drama: the people in this small town are desperate to find a small statue, one that is thought to be repsonsible for the birth of children.
However, as usual, SEP manages to display a character with whom you can easily identify: Dr. Isabel is a woman so engaged in her work, that she finds it hard to make time for the things in life that really count. Although she is aware of the fact that she is "postponing" the good times, it takes someone else upsetting her life before she realises there is no such thing as postponing happiness. It just slips by you.
She makes up her mind and goes to Tuscany for a welldeserved holiday, although she's not sure how to go about "doing nothing". And then Ren comes along.
A book to bring you in a holiday kind of mood. The mouthwatering descriptions of Tuscan food made me run to the market and buy fresh produce (I made a tomatoe soup, following "Marta's" good example). Good one to stop and think about the daily hassle that keeps you busy.
Susan E. Phillips is known for writing funny and vivid scenes. Setting this book in Toscany just tops it off. She describes beautiful scenes of Italy and a romance developing. Developing with hickups, you might say. This book is different from SEP's usual books, in that it involves a bit more of suspense and drama: the people in this small town are desperate to find a small statue, one that is thought to be repsonsible for the birth of children.
She makes up her mind and goes to Toscany for a welldeserved holiday, although she's not sure how to go about "doing nothing". And then Ren comes along.
A book to bring you in a holiday kind of mood. Good one to stop and think about the daily hassle that keeps you busy.