Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:£5.15+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 February 2006
This is why Amazon created a 5-star rating !
If they made a 10-star rating then this would earn it too !
For a wrestling fanatic who wants to know about the world of WWE then this is a great read. Foley takes you through his early years of wrestling and through to his first ever Heavyweight Title win. All this via ECW, WCW and other independant businesses.
He talks openly and frankly about relationships with other wrestlers, friends and foes, and even through an incident with The Rock that stopped hem from talking to one another for a very long time.
For a non-wrestling fan this is a again a great read. It teaches you that nothing is too far from your reach if you are HardCore enough to take it by the balls, and shove your face in its crotch !
Have A Nice Day !
on 11 October 2001
I own both the paper back (with the extra chapter) and the hard back copy of this book, and I have to say, I laughed and cried my way through this book.
I have never enjoyed a book so much as I have Mick Foley's and I was happy to see that he opted to write the book on his own terms rather than through a ghost writer like the other wrestling stars. The only time I put the book down was when the passage came up about the late Owen Hart, it was beautifully written and shared private moments, that we wouldn't have known about.
This book is both personal to the man who wrote it, and it becomes personal to you, as it seems like he is telling his life to you and only you.
I recommend this book to both wrestling fans, and those who say that they wouldn't be caught dead watching this "fake sport". Read inside of the covers, and you will realise it is more than just sports entertainment, it is a way of life, and one that many love. If you don't know of Mick Foley it is a chance to see inside of a man that many regard as a "God" in the world of wrestling, and see just why he is so loveable. He will make you think twice about this sport.
Both thumbs up, he has done himself proud with this book.
on 28 October 2004
After watching Mick Foleys Greatest hits & misses DVD I just had to get the book, and what a hell of a book it is.
Even if you don't care too much for the mat sport it is one man's tale of ambition and desire to make his mark, and it's both funny and touching. We get to find out the origins of Cactus Jack, Mankind & Dude Love and also learn about Mick the family man and although the result is pre determined in a match and the wrestlers discuss what they intend to do before a match he lets you know that the moves do hurt, not only the man in the ring, but also the family in the crowd.
A fantastic read, highly recommended & have a nice day.
on 15 August 2005
Having Being an avid reader of most wrestlers biographys from the rock to ric flair i can honestly say that this has got the be the best that the wwf(e) has released. Foley gives you a very descriptive outlook on the events of his life until the royal rumble of 1999, yet at the same time even though it is very descriptive it is still very entertaining to read as he makes most serious or violent subjects very light hearted to read, a strength that foley has shown in his other books aswell.He talks about all of the things that have changed his life from when the girl of his dreams called him "frank" to the day when he became wwf(e) champion on monday night raw. He even talks about certain people he has met on his road to the top of the wrestling world some not well known, and some very well known like ric flair whom Foley doesn't think much of when it comes to booking matches to the always controversial Shawn Michaels. one thing that has to be said though of this book is that Foley makes the wrestling angles and matches sound real, which we all know are all pre planned out before which may disappoint any reader that wants to know about "blading" or anything like that. But overall if you are a curious non wresling fan that were interested in a book to read about the "sport" or one of the best entertainers of the "sport" then this is the book for you.
on 9 April 2002
I must admit when I bought this book I was a little apprehensive but as soon as I managed to get through the first few pages all that went away. On eof the main things that attracted me to this book was that it was written by the man himself, Mick Foley. I think the reason why this book is such an excellent read is because he manages to add his own humour and personal touch to the stories in his life that he looks back on so fondly, and others maybe not so fondly. I would have to say that 'Have A Nice Day' is one of the best books that I have ever read, and it really shows that Mick Foley is equally at home inside a steel cage as to what he is, with a note book and pen in his hand. The book covers so many aspects of his life and not all of them are directly connected to his wrestling career, and I must admit to being a big wrestling fan, but i'm sure other readers who are not big fans of this type of sports entertainment would also be pleasently surprised by what this book has to offer. One aspect which i'm sure all wrestling fans will enjoy about this book as it gives a very candid behind the scenes look at the industry, that is both humerous and very enlightening. Anyone who is reading these reviews now and is tempted to buy this book, I would definately recommend it, you won't be disappointed.
on 30 June 2004
I never read this book from day one but by the time i got chance to sit down and look at the book page to page, this is a brilliantly crafted autobiography.
Everything about Mick Foley's life from the "hang-man" incident with Vader causing a loss of the right ear, to the infamous "Hell in the Cell" match in 1998, this tale of a man from downtown Long Island, NY will grip the reader with thought provoking, humourous insults to fellow superstar Al Snow and the truth behind each of his 3 personas.
Buy now, sit back and relax and enjoy the blood and sweat of Mankind, Cactus Jack and Dude Love.
on 28 December 1999
First off, Mick Foley is a legend in wrestling. So any self-respecting wrestling fan should do themselves a favour and buy this book. For anyone one who has not heard of 'Mankind', 'Cactus Jack' or 'Dude Love', then I suggest you read on. Foley talks about how he busted his ass for 15 years to get respect for what he truly is, a man. Mick talks about his romantic failures in his teenage years and his wrestling and romantic sucesses in more recent years. This book is a superbly written book by Mick himself, there was no ghostwriter, just simply Mick's memoirs on notebook paper which were transfered to computer at a later date. Foley talks about his most hated and memorable matches and the infamous 'deathmatches' and 'hell in a cell match' in which he nearly killed himself. Michael Foley is a true great in the sport and this book proves that. A must have for a 'Foley is God' fan, a must have for a wrestling fan and I think a superb book for a general reader. One thing is for sure, if you buy this book you are guarenteed to have a nice day.
on 27 August 2000
My god, anyone who has read this book will understand the slogan 'Foley is God'. Not only is his good homour mixed with detailed descriptions of his life exciting, and a pleasure to read, it proves remarkable that one man could remember so many things.
As many people would believe, this book does not try to support the arguement that wrestling is not a fixed sport, but gives the reader a genuine insight into a magnificent sport, based in all corners of the world, from UK to Japan, and it gives a magnificent person in this sports history the credit he has well earned many times. His incredible mind is portrayed very well, as well as his pain encurrred throughout the countless injuries. Anyone, wrestling fan or not, should at least read some of it, as it is a incredible book by a incredible man.
You most likely think i'm lying. Well, i swear on my heart, that i read all 500 odd pages in four days. That's how damn good it is!
on 17 January 2015
I’ve long been an avid reader, devouring books at a speed that has surprised friends and amazed colleagues in the past. But, no matter what I was reading, I was always able to put a book down at any point and come back to it later. I simply couldn’t understand what people meant when they call a book “unputdownable” as I’d never found my self in that situation.

That was until I discovered “Have a Nice Day”, the autobiography of the wrestler Mankind. I’d had it on order for some time, and the bookstore called when, quite by chance, I was outside about to collect an ill friend from work. I picked up both and, like a good friend should, promptly ignored her in favour of the book when I got home. And for the rest of the day, I virtually ignored her as the book went everywhere with me – to the bathroom, to the garden for a cigarette, to the kitchen when I made dinner. Finally at 5 am the following morning after about fifteen hours solid reading, I finished it, and was able to put it down. Only to wake about six hours later, pick it up and start all over again.

At first glance, it’s essentially just a book about wrestling. Mick Foley decided at a fairly early age that wrestling is what he wanted to do for a living and that’s exactly what he did. He had to work hard to do it, and he had to suffer for his art. He had to work for pitiful amounts of money and he had to be told time and again that he wasn’t good enough to reach the very top of his profession. Against all this, he succeeded, largely through a combination of hard work and extreme dedication to his chosen business.

But it’s not just a book that will appeal to wrestling fans, even though this is the market it was aimed at. After all, I was a WWE fan when the book was released, which was why I bought it. I’m no longer a fan and I haven’t watched any wrestling for a while. Yes this book still has the power to fascinate me. This can be boiled down to one simple reason: passion. More than anybody’s biography I’ve read, Mick Foley has loved every minute of what he’s done. Sure, there have been some rough times and he’s been seriously hurt in doing the job he loves. Several times, in fact. But Mick Foley is a man who loves his life, loves his job and absolutely adores his family.

It is this passion that makes “Have a Nice Day” so easy to read. Although the focus of the book is on Mick Foley’s career as a professional wrestler, this is essentially a love story. It’s a story of one man’s love for his wife, his children and his life generally. Particularly when he talks about his children, you can almost feel the love coming from the page. But he does other emotions just as well, and his words when he speaks of Owen Hart, a close personal friend and colleague who was killed whilst the book was being written, it’s enough to bring a lump to the throat.

Generally speaking, the whole book is written in a very accessible way. He doesn’t get too technical with wrestling terms and he explains so that anyone who isn’t a wrestling fan could understand. Most importantly, he uses pretty simple language all the way through, so getting involved with the story isn’t difficult at all.

Despite being the first and, so far, only book I’ve been unable to put down, it’s not all good news. More than in any other autobiography I’ve read, money is mentioned a lot. I realise that Foley sees several years on low earnings as a part of paying his dues, but it does get a little distracting hearing so much about it. It seems as if that was where his main focus lay, particularly before he met his wife.

The second major problem is that the focus on wrestling makes it tough for anyone who isn’t a wrestling fan to get into, particularly the number of in-jokes he has at the expense of another wrestler, Al Snow. There’s less about Mick Foley’s younger years than is usual in an autobiography, almost as if his life only started when he began wrestling and everything that had happened up to that point was obsolete. Certainly there are some mentions of his school days, but very little about his parents, especially his mother, and it almost feels as if he wasn’t born until he was a teenager; such is the scarcity of material on that period.

However, if you’re a wrestling fan, this is exactly the kind of book you should be reading. In terms of wrestling as a professional sport or as professional sports entertainment, however you look at it; Mick Foley has done pretty much everything there is to do. He has wrestled in small independent shows and he has held titles in all three of the major nationwide wrestling promotions that existed when the book was published in 1999.

As far as up to date information goes, it seems horribly dated now as the world of sports entertainment has changed a great deal over the last five years. But for a recent wrestling fan, this would be a revelation, packed as it is with information and stories about how things used to be. For someone who has been a wrestling fan for a while, or even for someone like me, who was a fan but has since lapsed, I’d be surprised if you haven’t already read this. You should – you’re missing out on so much otherwise.

Although a little dated in terms of information now, this book was ground breaking at the time, with Mick Foley being the first wrestler to release a biography. These days, you can move for them on the sports book shelves of major bookstores. But sometimes they say that the oldest ones are the best and that has never been truer than in the world of wrestling books. If you only ever buy one book about wrestling, this should be the one.

This review may also appear under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
on 18 October 2013
After reading a lot of the reviews of this book I couldn't wait to start reading it. Ok, I'm reading it about 8 years to late but hey, I just didn't have time before!

The book starts quite slowly with tales of Mick's early life which, whilst adding interesting colour to his later life, this probably isn't the reason that people are reading.

Once the book gets going, the style of writing is so easy to read and enjoyable. The stories certainly appear that they are from the heart and you can't help but admire Foley for the lengths he's gone to acheive his dreams. Quite frankly, I'd love to sit down with the guy and have a beer!

My real problem with the book (and the reason for not giving it 5 stars) is that when you get towards the end of the book it starts to read like a normal WWE book whereby very little is said about the "behind the scenes" issues and the detail all appears to be about his matches (which we can all watch for ourselves, we want to know about the things you can't see).

I suspect that given his status at the point of writing, and probably quite sensibly given how hard he's worked to get there, Foley appears to duck certain issues and pull his punches more than earlier in the book, which is a shame. I wasn't expecting any digs at Vinnie Mac and although there are a few in there, they are very much surface comments to try and gain credability as opposed to any real detail of certain issues.

The book is definantly worth reading, I just feel a little let down by the lack of behind the scenes detail in the later chapters.