5.0 out of 5 stars A book filled with charm, intelligence, and CRIME.
Published on 17 Feb 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and classy
No wonder Christie was, and has remained, so incredibly popular. This is the first of her books I have read, and it delivered exactly what I expected. A murder seemingly impossible to solve which is then untangled using crystal clear logic. It is classy and clever without being so convoluted and complicated to be outside the grasp of the reader.

The other thing...
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by Book 1981

5.0 out of 5 stars A book filled with charm, intelligence, and CRIME., 17 Feb 1998
This review is from: Murder on the Orient Express (Mass Market Paperback)
A crime has just been committed, and it is up to Agatha Christie's renowned detective, Mr. Poirot, to solve this one. This time the victim is a passenger on the Orient Express, a famouse early twentieth century passenger train. By coincidence, Mr. Poirot ia also traveling on the Orient Express, and quickly takes on the task of finding the killer. His task, however, is not an easy one, because, as he digs deeper into the case, he finds some suspicous information concerning the victim and his fellow passengers. The Murder on the Orient Express is one of Agatha Christie's truely excellent novels. Agatha Christie uses her innate talent for writing to develop some wonderful characters. My favorite, Mr. Poirot, has such class and intelligenge. He uses his charm to his advantage in solving the case. The reason I enjoyed this book so much is, it was written so that I could speculate on who committed the crime, however when the criminal was revealed to me I was in shock. The case seemed so complicated, yet it was really quite simple. I am very much looking forward to reading more of Agatha Christie's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 23 Feb 2006
Mr. R. Van Schelven "Ries" (Leidschendam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The talents of Mr. Suchet are amazing. He just reads the Hercule Poirot books as he plays them. He has many different voices for all the different characters. You never get tired of listening to his voice! I can highly recommend all the Poirot books read by David Suchet(I have them all)!! A 5 star plus! I hope he will read many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional paradigm in the genre of murder fiction, 30 Dec 2001
As my eyes couldn't run across the page fast enough I was begging with my housemates to reveal the impossible ending that was coming towards me like the express train itself.
Luckily they didn't. There are few books that make one speechless after reading them but this was mine, though after my initial awe I bleated my admiration of the author to everybody I met.
Although I am normally only a fan of Miss Marple in Agatha Christie's works, she weaves her wand of compassion over Poirot and the passengers of the train, allowing the fabric of reality to settle around a moral conclusion which grips you and pulls you until the last.
Although a relatively young reader I appreciated it with memorable vigour. Make sure you have a spare day because it will not leave your sight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 May 2011
Martin Corley - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Agatha Christie ever since I saw "Death on the Nile" on TV. I bought this fascimile edition of "Murder on the Orient Express" with the fascimile edition of "Death on thye Nile", and I have to say... they are wonderful! It feels like you are holding a first edition! It even has an ad for the Crime Club, with the enrolment voucher! Even the faded letters! And the story was very inventive, with a VERY surpsising ending! Read the book before you see the film! And buy this edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed, 1 Nov 2010
Simon Payne - See all my reviews
I loved it. But quite clearly, you have to like vintage who-done-its in order to love any Agatha Christie story - certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

And with David Suchet as speaker - perfect bliss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder in style, 11 April 2007
sam hrt (Lancs, England, Uk) - See all my reviews
The first Agatha Christie book I've ever read. WOW. Amazing. I think she hypnotized me. I couldn't put this book down! Everything about the book was great, the characters, the plot lines, I was extremely sad to learn about the incident/tragedy that started all the plotting though. Poirot was hilarious as he was so blunt at times. I am definitely going to read more of her books. Bring on the mysteries!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 16 Oct 2006
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This novel is widely feted as Christies masterpiece, due to the fact it is the most dramatised, but it does not comapre to 'The ABC murders' or 'And Then There Were None', or even 'The Murder Of Roger Ackroyed', that said it is one of the most devious. If anyone solves this murder before the conclusion (and without prior knowledge) I would be very surprised, and essentially that is what we want from Christie, a conclusion that is a complete revelation.

At first, I must admit, the conclusion seemed very far fetched, but then one goes away and considers it is not really so, and that the cryptic clues were all in fact directing us to the truth.

The thing I love about Christie, apart from her undeniable geniues, is her style. I mean, it is so easy to read. Her descriptions are so cursory they essentially allow our imaginations to roam, and everyone will have a different mental image of scenery and events. The characters are very much of their era, and very quaint.

If you want a true puzzle, if you love Christie, or even if not, this is essential reading. The clues are all there for the reader, but if you piece them together and breach Christies twist (I term it as such, because all her novels essentially contain a twist, that if you can see through it the story falls into place), you will adore this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best mysteries ever written--seriously!, 28 Oct 1998
This review is from: Murder on the Orient Express (Mass Market Paperback)
This beautifully crafted murder mystery ranks among Agatha Christie's finest. The dapper Belgian detective finds himself investigating the murder of an American businessman on board the Simplon Orient Express. The death occurs in a a manner that implicates one of the twelve passengers in the Stamboul-Calais coach. Poirot carefully interviews the suspects, all of whom have cast-iron alibis. The case appears impossible to solve, until Poirot, using nothing but his wits and a few tiny, seemingly insignificant clues (including a monogrammed handkerchief, a pipe-cleaner, and a Hungarian passport), assembles one of his most brilliant explanations.
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS is not just another Agatha Christie book. The plotting is as skillful and ingenious as her best, filled with even more baffling twists and turns than usual. This novel has even more to offer, however: a delightful international cast of characters, an entertaining train setting, and gripping suspense. This is edge-of-your-seat reading from the world's foremost mystery writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mystery filled of suspense!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 7 Dec 1997
This review is from: Murder on the Orient Express (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first Agatha Christie book that I have ever read and believe me, it really made me wanna read much more. The beginning started off a little slow, but as soon as I got to the end of the first chapter, I was hooked. The basic plot is that a murder has occurred on a train filled with strangers. It feels terrible to know that you will be stuck on a train for at least 2 days(this is because of a snow storm) on the same train as a murderer. The victim is an American kidnapper, so detective Hercule Poirot tries his best to question all the passengers, trying to find someone who is involved with the kidnapping case. The end is very unexpected, but I wasn't too happy with it. Overall, I suggest that anyone who loves mysteries and suspense read it soon!!!!!!!-Reviewed by Preethi

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder on the Orient Express, 3 Jan 2014
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
First published in 1934, this is the ninth book featuring Hercule Poirot and shows Agatha Christie at the height of her powers as an author. Poirot is returning from solving another case and was hoping for a short holiday, but receives a message asking him to return to London immediately. At first he is assured that it will be easy to book a berth on the Orient Express, but, it seems that more people than usual are travelling. Thankfully, a solution is found and, before long, Poirot is assessing his fellow passengers. One is a man, named Ratchett, who asks Poirot for protection - but the detective does not take the case, insulted by increasing offers of money.

However, Ratchett is correct in saying he does need protection, as he is stabbed to death in his cabin. The train is stuck in a snowdrift, but the number of wounds on the body confuse both the doctor and Poirot. Most of us will probably know what happened to Ratchett, and why - and even by whom - but it makes no difference. The joy is in the telling and Christie unravels the mystery with consummate ease. Christie's novels, although about murder, are the ultimate comfort read; full of sly humour, such as Ratchett's secretary confusing Poirot's name with a woman's dressmaker! She takes her characters, and her readers, on a perfectly plotted journey. There is a wonderful cast of characters, an exotic location and a great story. If you have never read this before, I envy you. It is one of Poirot's greatest cases - read and enjoy.

Murder on the Orient Express
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Mass Market Paperback - Nov 1991)
Used & New from: 0.01