5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!
Having never been a fan of Motley Crue (or Heavy Metal in general) I bought this book purely on the advice of the reviews, and I' so glad I did...........it really is a fantastic read (from hysterically funny to heartbreakingly sad and everything in-between) and almost impossible to put down. I'm still not a Motley Crue fan, but I am a fan of books about bands and music...
Published on 17 Jun 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but annoying people!
I'm not a Motley Crue fan but I was intrigued by their reputation. This book is full of honest, shocking stories and really doesn't disappoint in that respect. Unfortunately though, I just found the band to be very unlikeable and Mick comes across as the only genuine member. The others seem so self centred and reminded me of the cocky idiot kids at school! I read Ozzy...
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by Mr. Mj Bickle

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 April 2005
This review is from: The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (Paperback)
I've only ever heard one song by Motley Crue, truth be told. But when I was on holiday last summer, I saw someone reading "The Dirt" and wanted to read it myself because I liked the front cover!! I got the book from a friend for Christmas and have only just got round to reading it last week.
I could NOT put it down! I think I can say, without a doubt, that this book is definitely the best non-fiction book I've ever read. It's great to read it from the point of view of each bandmember and other people who have been involved in the shaping of Motley Crue over the years. If you buy this book, then I assure you you WON'T be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars the dirt, 15 Feb 2004
M. black "barriebb3" (scotland) - See all my reviews
i have to admit that i'm not too familar with the music of the motley crue (apart from girls,girls,girls,) but this book is a terrific read.they lived the rock n roll lifestyle to it's limits which put other so called hellraisers to shame.definatley
worth a read, you won't be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT try this at home!!!!!!, 24 Feb 2003
This book is truly an assault on the eyes, the mind, and the decency of whoever reads it!
The sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll book has been done before, most notably in Stephen Davis' infamous Led Zeppelin bio "Hammer of the Gods". In comparison to "The Dirt", that particular tome reads like an Enid Blyton text. Motley Crue were the most outrageous, filthy, disgusting, degenerate bunch of characters ever to scale the heady heights of fame, and this book documents their rise and (incredibly) messy fall in lurid, first-hand detail.
The book's autobiographical narrative reveals their ups and downs first hand, and, while many of the stories show the band, in particular bassist/songwriter Nikki Sixx, to be truly repulsive human beings, there is also an element of deeply-rooted humanity about the band's own accounts of their lives. In particular, frontman Vince Neil's account of his young daughter's struggle, and eventual death from cancer is truly heartbreaking. Don't worry though, there are enough tales of groupies, drugs and general madness to last the reader a lifetime.
Put simply, this is a rock pig masterclass. Motley Crue lived like Caligula, and how they survived remains amystery which would confound doctors the world over. You won't find this in the Coldplay biography, let me tell you. Buy this book, laugh, cry and confound your expectations of what a rock star can be. Duuuude....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Music Publication Since Hammer of the Gods, 27 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I was a fan of the band at the time and I always wondered how much of their image was actually real? They always seemed pretty genuine but there was always a doubt whether anyway could survive living like this.Here we find out in graphically, amusing detail that, yep they really were burning the candle not just at both ends, but right in the middle aswell! I was in attendance at the infamous St. Valentine Day Massacre Concert in London, which is detailed in the book. I never would of thought that as I was travelling home from watching one hell of a concert, that the principal songwriter in the band, Nikki Sixx, was left for dead in a pile of rubbish in a London alleyway. Overdosed yet again. This book is must read. You don't have to like either this band or rock music in general to know that this is the best music publication since Hammer Of the Gods.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally bitchin', 15 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I couldn't put this book down - I laughed out loud and cried like hell: this book has everything!
These guys have lived a million lives, and everything Motley Crue stand for makes other bands today seem so tame and bland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock 'n' Roll Decedance, 8 Oct 2003
Robert Ainsworth (Troon, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A non-stop story or sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. An enthralling read with more funny or diabolical stories (depending how you look at them) than you could shake a big stick at

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I have Ever Read Bar None, 7 Aug 2008
J. Daniel "Jimmy" (UK) - See all my reviews
I don't like their music, I don't particularly like the band members but I read this and was blown away, quite simply the best book I have read. I love the style of it. It's rock and Roll, It's Sex and it's drugs and it's also moving in places. Neil Strauss must be creditted for the style in which the book is written, but the band wrote their own story and what a story it is....

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind who you're sitting next to, 20 April 2010
This might just be the best book in the world. But mind who you're sat next to on the train. I realised I was sat next to a bible-reading gentleman who had decided to check out my reading material just as I got to the bit about Bullwinkle.

Still, I like to think it broadened his mind a bit. He's probably listening to Girls, girls, girls now....

4.0 out of 5 stars shocked at such a good read, 3 Aug 2009
I took a gamble on this book after reading the reviews, and am so glad I did as it is an extremely well written and interesting read. Each chapter is written about from each band members point of view and documents their total and massive excess's as well as their emotional experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 17 Jan 2006
Louise Allenby "miss_allenby" (Leeds. UK) - See all my reviews
I would not describe myself as a fan of Motley Crue, and I have only ever heard a couple of their songs, and a few stories about their antics in magazines.
But I don't think I have enjoyed a book so much as I enjoyed this! The best thing about the book is the honesty. Nothing is shyed away from - drugs, groupies, death etc. It's all laid bare (no pun intended!)
This is a very addictive book that I just could not put down. Each member of the band seems to have lived about ten lifetimes! I would definately recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Especially rock n roll fans.
Brillient read all the way through.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›