5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!
Published on 17 Jun 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but annoying people!
I'm not a Motley Crue fan but I was intrigued by their reputation. This book is full of honest, shocking stories and really doesn't disappoint in that respect. Unfortunately though, I just found the band to be very unlikeable and Mick comes across as the only genuine member. The others seem so self centred and reminded me of the cocky idiot kids at school! I read Ozzy...
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by Mr. Mj Bickle

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 17 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (Paperback)
Having never been a fan of Motley Crue (or Heavy Metal in general) I bought this book purely on the advice of the reviews, and I' so glad I did...........it really is a fantastic read (from hysterically funny to heartbreakingly sad and everything in-between) and almost impossible to put down. I'm still not a Motley Crue fan, but I am a fan of books about bands and music in general, and this is one of the best I've read. Its rock 'n' roll debauchery in the written form, and I'm amazed they manage to remember half the stuff they did considering their levels drug and alcohol consumption. I wanted the read to go on forever and I was gutted to finish it, and now I'm desperately searching for something equally as good to start.......but I fear I wont find anything this entertaining for some time.
If you like books of this genre, do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy. You really don't have to like the music to enjoy this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dirt Will NEVER Wash Off, 17 Oct 2010
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Motley Crue. The Dirt.

You want The Dirt? You got The Dirt. You couldn't make this up. Honestly. If you thought Spinal Tap are shallow parody of a rock band, then Motley Crue are THE Rock band. They not only wrote the Rule Book, they snorted it, they screwed it, toured it, played it, sold it, overdosed on it, crashed it, filmed it, toured it, flew it, injected it, drove it, recorded it for posterity, stole it, and then sold the book rights. Everything they could think of doing they did. And a few things you couldn't, shouldn't, and never ever would even imagine of doing. They did that too.

There's death. Divorce. Overdoses. Carcrashes. More prison stretches than the Krays. Sackings. Reinstatements. Writers Block. More Sackings. Riots. Punchups in Airports. Armed guards. There's Haircuts that Kill. And Guitars that squeal. And Millions of dollars abandoned in two decades of obscene overindulgence and overdubs.

It astounds me how Tommy Lee seems to have worked out a way to get arrested that matches every occasion. Weddings, bar mitzvahs, parties. And a lot of parties. You even get the Tommy Lee's handscrawled, appalling poetry from the depths of a US prison where he is no doubt some old-timers rich rock star bitch.

There's squalor. Poverty. Living out of dumpsters and vans. Depraved sexual practices. Ejaculating women known as The Moose. A TV show called "Who Wants To take Advantage Of Me?" hosted by Nikki Sixx. There's houses stripped whilst the millionaire rock stars are temporarily incarcerated on trumped up assault charges. There's death in the back of ambulances racing around LA, and adrenalin injections to resurrect these losers, crucifed like Christ on a cross made of guitar strings, syringes, and spandex.

America it seems, is a land where you can find anything you want. You want Ozzy Osborne snorting ants like cocaine? You want Bruce Dickinson's girlfriend having anonymous sex with American rock stars in hotel toilets? You want a manager that sells a stake in the band to a college student (who stole $25,000 off his Dad to own 5% of Motley Crue PLC.) and then disappears off the face of the Earth donating his money to God? You want Satanic Rituals,poltergeists, and pentagrams that bring forth demonic visions before you've even touched the Drugs? You want a book that not only you can't put down, sometimes you don't even want to pick up? And yet you can't help yourself. Like a carcrash, a funeral, an overdose - and there are plenty of those - you can't help but watch disaster unfold before your eyes. You want death, depravity, desecration, degradation? You want the most amazing unbelievable sordid story ever told? You want a tale of people who wanted it all, had it all, and snorted it all, fuelled by their own egos, stupidity, imagination, and above all, an appetite for destruction unequalled by anyone else you've ever heard of?

Of course you do. You want The Dirt.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BOOK I'VE READ IN AGES, 22 May 2006
Jemma Harris (Coggeshall, England) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book and it is outstanding! I am not really a fan of Motley Crue's music but had read some good reviews of the book and decided to give it a go. I am so pleased I did! I read it in a couple of days and could not put it down. It gives a good account of their history, their highs and their lows - no puns intended! If you like rock autobiogrpahies and are not easily shocked buy this book!! It will not disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best rock n roll book you are going to read., 26 Dec 2001
If you have any kind of musical taste at all, you cannot imagine how Motley Crue ever sold 40 million records through their career. They obviously caught the big wave just right and despite their short comings (often admitted by themselves in the book) they made a mint, and then proceeded to blow it. The story is told from at least four angles, and one or two other witnesses pipe up occasionally (though sadly none of the superbabes, whose names pepper the pages as wives, girlfriends and one nighters), and this makes for a soul searching, and one has to assume, honest tale of the dramatic rise, and crashing fall of the most overhyped of 80's acts. It is a great read, and I found it almost impossible to put down. I also found myself disappointed when I finished it, which is as good a sign of a cracking book as I can think of. The weirdest thing of all is that I actually liked them at the end of it (except Vince Neil who comes over as a real dick head) despite blowing the lifestyle that untold thousands of us would swap for in a moment. The ironic message in the end is that they would much rather be like most of us - regular family men - than the most notorious band in rock. They seemed to have gone through an awful lot of trouble just to find that out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputadownable, 16 Feb 2006
For any Motley Crue/Rock'n'Roll fan, this book is superb. Its brilliantly written and the author has spoken to all members of the band, as well as many other people associated with them when they were at their peak. It shows the band as the beer swilling, drug taking, sex maniac rockstars that they are, as well as talking about Vincent Neil Wharton, Frank Feranna, Bob Alan Deal & Tommy Lee Bass, the normal everyday people behind Motley Crue. It really is a brilliant read, and i am 100% sure whoever buys it will be thoroughly entertained by it

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST ROCK BOOK EVER WRITTEN, 6 Dec 2002
Sigmund Freed (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This must be one of the greatest rock and roll stories ever told!
I dont own any Motley Crue records and am definitely not a fan. However this is a tale of such debauchery, mayhem and depravity that all should read it.
These guys(with the possible exception of ailing guitarist, Mick Mars) are, or were at the time, the lowest and filthiest and stupidest scumbags ever to be given a load of cash to do with whatever thay saw fit. And there is seemingly nothing that these men would not do, or at least attempt.
When you think they can stoop no lower, one of them will pull a stunt so disgraceful, you will wince(and then laugh aloud)
Rock and Roll is dead because nowadays we only have stars-not ROCK stars.Most folk are no longer willing to put their bodies through a daily dose of booze and hard drugs. We're all expected to be amazed when Liam Gallagher gives another camera man the fingers because apparently, this is "Rock and Roll".
Modern day fraudsters take not:Motley Crue, as duff as their music is, were real rockers who were brave enough and stupid enough to rock so hard that OD's, deaths, broken bones etc were all just another day in the life. This book should come with a DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME warning on it.
If you like stories of grand excess, have ever fancied yourself as some sort of hard rocking fella/gal or alternatively are just looking for a wholly entertaining experience, then this should be on your Santa note this Christmas.
And dont be fooled by its thickness. It was written for the most part by the band themselves, which makes it only slightly more challenging then childrens television. At about 400 pages or thereaboots, my only complaint is that it is too short. This reviewer would have gladly sat through another 400 pages and been enthralled throughout.
READ THIS BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Sleep 'til Page 431, 29 July 2001
I finished reading The Dirt last night and now I feel so empty and such a lost cause it's gone. The book is an amazing pile of words, good stuff and bad stuff. It feels honest. As a fan I have been in shock several times during the book. I knew they were naughty but THIS? Can they avoid being sued for using people's real names?
I have been laughing and crying, interested and at some points I felt like snooping just by reading the book. As a European I haven't been spoiled with Mötley Crüe around, and now I know why. I guess I did a good thing by not holding my breath wishing them to come over here.
So many answers to the questions I have had during the years. To read what really happened when Razzle died and Vince's words on his daughter Skylar. Nikki and his family issues, Mick and his illness and Tommy of course. I always figured Nikki to be the bright one, but was I wrong or what?
A fantastic book for anyone into the band! (I bet lots of others will read it because of the x-rated parts and the Lee/Andersson case!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, steal it, or borrow it...., 21 Feb 2006
By A Customer
Just read this book!!! In keeping with other reviews, I read it in a few days, couldn't put it down, and am now feeling a little empty after finishing it last night.
What surprised me most about The Dirt wasn't the stories of the cliched 'sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll', it was the human aspect, as the band started to sober up and realise their short-comings as individuals. But also that, no matter how much fame and money you have, basic humans emotions still affect everyone in the same way.
I've read a lot of good books, classics etc., but a Motley Crue autobiography as my favourite? Hell, yeah!!!
SIX STARS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Music Book SoFar, 13 Feb 2006
The dirt is probably the best and most open book on music I have ever read to date it tells you every thing about the band and I mean everything from were each one grow up to how they started to play there individual instruments to how they met up to create the crue,
then it takes you through it all how Tommy lee going through numerous girls and through Pamela Anderson. And Nicky on the truth about his name and the brilliant story on the unbelievable run out of hospital and the flat line then that nearly killed him.
The thing I like about the book is because the entire audience sees only half of the music world in the glam clothes & money but this book shows it all how they started to how they rise to be the best it tells all the dirt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read !, 25 April 2007
tomkat (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I was a fan of Motley Crue in the eighties but apart from Tommy Lee,I have not given them much thought since. I read Lees book Tommyland last year and did not think it was very good so when I bought The Dirt recently I was not expecting too much. How wrong I was! This book from start to finish is an excellent read. If you are or were a Crue fan you will love this book. If you have never heard of the band before you will also love this book.
What this book does is give an amazing insight into the lives of four out of control rockstars whos behaviour will shock even the broadest minded of readers. It is a very funny but also very sad account of the band whos huge success was also followed by tragic events and shattered lives.

Im not quite sure how the band are still alive today especially Nikki Sixx whos drug taking and all round bad behaviour is stuff of legends.
The bit where he overdoses, dies, has a double adrenaline shot to the heart (like in Pulp Fiction) then wakes up in hospital, discharges himself to go straight home and inject heroin again while the whole world still thinks hes dead is unbelievable.

All in all I loved this book and struggled to put it down after I started it. When I had finished it I was gutted, I wanted to hear more wild stories and tales from the band. Im sure they could have made this book twice as long and it would still have been a great read.

Make sure you buy this book it is excellent!

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band