5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an OCD bible
This book is a god send. A book is based on the authors wondefull work, and he has defied many of the scientists, stuck in the old, tired conventions, by scientifically proving that your mind can change your brain chemistry, if directed properly. The technique which he has developed, and spells out in this book, a god send for OCD sufferers like me, is fantastic.
Published on 1 Jan 2003 by D. Cupit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!
I thought this book hads some useful ideas to help me with my OCD. However, I suffer particularly with 'pure o' ocd and I found the book did not really target that aspect of the condition. I thought overall the book was good, and the general concept of refocusing certainly has a lot of validity.
Published on 2 May 2012 by Jennifer Connecticut

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an OCD bible, 1 Jan 2003
D. Cupit "dcupit" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A real life saver - a truly brilliant book., 23 Sep 2000
WHAT A FABULOUS BOOK! This book really has helped me so drastically. I have had OCD symptoms for a good 26 years, and they have been getting progressively worse. Many times I have felt desperate, suicidal and as if I was literally going mad. I tried clinical psychologists and counsellers but they tended to advocate very time consuming and confusing therapies, not to mention the fact that they blamed my OCD on my poor Dad. When I got this book, I was at my wits end. OCD has ruined every aspect of my life. Jeffrey Schwartz's book showed me that (1) OCD is a genuine medical problem, as opposed to something you have only if you're "nuerotic" - which is how some people view me. (2) It accounts for many other personality problems I have that no-one else EVER connected with OCD (which gave me such hope that my whole life can be changed through therapy) and (3) That there is hope and that recovery is indeed something you can do yourself, without being bogged down by ridiculously complex exposure therapy plans. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Just understanding my OCD the way Schwartz explains it has given me great hope and peace - two things I haven't have for a very long time. Thank God for people like Schwartz who have a genuine understanding and compassion for people with OCD, and for the hope his work brings to sufferers. Waste no more time - get this book NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge help - got me through the worst of it., 10 April 2005
Before I got this book I was very depressed and felt like OCD was making me crazy. I was in therapy at the time but this book was what helped me the most. Dr Schwartz breaks down the treatment and helps you get your head around it. With the help he provides I now feel I am on the road to recovery and feel alot better about myself. I'd advise anyone who thinks they suffer from OCD to get this book and don't delay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! A DYI approach to OCD and related disorders., 2 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Brain Lock (Audio Cassette)
A friend gave me this book and it is excellent. If you have OCD or even a related disorder it gives you a practical approach to learning to deal with and outsmart your disorder.
Take me, frinstance, while I do not have any checking compulsions, I have suffered from anxiety disorder and occasionally intrusive, disturbing thoughts for a number of years. (Other than that I am your regular guy, you wouldn't know I had a disorder if you saw me). This book gives you a 4-step method of "reframing" OCD in a way that makes it manageable. Ultimately, the authors say, by using their method you can "retrain your brain" and actually alter your brain chemistry in a positive direction and thus reduce the original symptoms to something liveable.
Buy it (or have a friend give it to you...) :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 16 Aug 2010
I had suffered from multiple varieties of OCDs, to a point that my symptoms started to fit a whole spectrum of mental disorders. My OCD varied, among them, was compulsive writing - capturing and trapping thoughts. Anything depressing, exciting, emotional, gets written. For over a decade, my computer filled up with megabytes of raw consciousness text, post-it notes everywhere you look, full notebooks written in an undecipherable mind nonsense. It took over my life, I couldn't function, I couldn't let it go because everything seemed important.

I read the introduction, beginnings and ends of all sections. I finished reading it, went to sleep. Prior to that, I made a decision, it was that simple. If you want to change your life, do it immediately.

The 4 steps described in this book may seem like some kind of doctrine you feel is being imposed on you. It may seem patronising. However, these 4 steps have been derrived from intensive studies. They are the simplified formula given to you in its most optimised form, like an optimised computer algorithm.

Temperature of the underside of your frontal lobes is higher than those without these mental disorders. It is a neurological disorder which affected you psychologically. Change the cause of the problem - cognitively (thoughtfully) treat your mind, you are in control of re-engineering the filters in your thought processes. You attack the problem cognitively, you follow the correct thought process, and voila, from within, it manifests in a perfectly healthy brain.

The reason you've failed so far (and I assume you have since you are seeking help) is because you relied solely on yourself to cure this problem. For me, it was so satisfying to read that other people experience this monsterous disease, it only confirmed what I (and you) already knew. That it has to stop.

If you have a system, a plan, a good and tested plan, you will succeed, overnight!

You may feel like a robot because of the requirement for a system. However, it works transparently for me. The brain fixed itself, but it first had to recognise these 4 steps (and I think the first step in this book is the most important step of all). It then slips into your subconscious, you will feel fantastic.

You've suffered enough. Your extra sensory perception is probably heightened compared with "normal" people. Use it now, enjoy it.

Today, I am free.

Understand that by recognising that it's a disease, the second the obsessive thought creeps in, do not let it lead you to do your ritual (obsession). First step is "relabelling" - that is, identifying the disease from the real thing. It is easy once you realise the best person to reason with is yourself, and it's seamless. Quickly identify if the thought is as a result of your disease, don't give it the time of day. Refocus!!! The books says try another task for 15 minutes. I have progressed by carrying on doing what I was doing. At first, after you've beaten one or two OCD thoughts, you will look back at it 5 minutes later and you will have an epiphany (or perhaps you knew all along) that it was a disease.

RELABEL, REATTRIBUTE, REFOCUS and REVALUE (or rather, DEVALUE that useless garbage you've been suffering from).

I am 100% convinced you can do it. I did it. Get the book if you want if you're not convinced by me.

IDENTIFY IT and REFOCUS!

Good Luck (just follow the bloody steps!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly written with real understanding., 25 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This is simply the best book I have read on the subject.His truly
indepth understanding of O.C.D. transforms the book and Dr. Schwartz into lifelong friends and allies.He quickly points out the FACT that no matter how horrible/disgusting/frightening/etc your thoughts/obsessions or actions/compulsions are the FACT is you are not to blame. It is not your fault, you are not responsible for them. It is simply a chemicle imbalance.
You can then read the book feeling so much better about yourself
and feeling more prepared to fight the "war" against o.c.d.
One of his great sayings throughout the book is this : "It's not me, its o.c.d." A fantastic MUST,MUST,MUST READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent self help! Finally help for a sufferer., 27 July 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Brain Lock (Audio Cassette)
An excellent piece, for the first time my friend has found help for OCD. You clearly define it and give steps to living with it. One comment, I feel an important element was left out....hunger and OCD are synomious. It is important for persons with OCD to eat at regular intervals. This lessens the OCD attacks. Hunger exasperates OCD. Thank you for the Brain Lock book and Tape. My friend has played the tape 40 times and feels it is his personal therapist. Thanks for helping!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's Not Me - It's My OCD", 20 April 2007
R. S. Rabab "Sindibad" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This book has been a real eye opener. It reveals OCD for what it really is - "a biochemical imbalance in the brain" - and it offers a common sense step by step approach to eliminate the pain the discomfort caused by the Obsessions and Compulsions, which cause havoc in the life of the individuals who suffer from this merciless condition.

The book can be repetitive at times, however, this can be useful as it re-enforces the points made and encourages the reader to change their perception of this illness as an unbeatable condition that they have to endure. There are ample examples of various real life OCD cases, along with a section on the effect of OCD on family life and the positive role that can be played by the family members to help the sufferer to recover and re-gain control of their lives.

Brain Lock gives a clear explanation OCD, its symptoms, affects, and the tools to combat it. It is equally useful for individuals with OCD as well as their families, or anyone who has an interest in the subject.

This is the first book that I have read on OCD so I have nothing else to compare it with, nonetheless it is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I bought this for a member of my family who had heard that it was recommended. His view was that is it an amazing book and helped hugely with a 'problem' he has been troubled with your years. I am sure there are hundreds of sufferers suffering in silence and it is books like these are are a MUST READ. He swears it is the first book that has enabled him to start of overcome some tasks they may appear simple but when he is in a difficult patch, the tasks become a nightmare.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRULY WONDERFUL BOOK, 2 May 2009
David Glasgow "Wego" (Co.Tyrone, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you suffer from OCD, or are a relative or carer, off someone with OCD - then this book is the only ticket available that can truly set the Mind of the troubled and intrusive, negative, OCD thought patterns free; that comes with every person with "obsessive compulsive disorder".

The book is written in a very concise, no bull, direct n' easy to understand format, to get the numbers crunching fast, after 5 pages I was hooked and could not set the book down for 5 days until finished.

Its the only self help book that takes on OCD, and provides relief and change, where other books fail.

Please buy this book if you cannot make up your mind what to buy, as in my humble opinion its the BEST.!

Take care...

Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior by Jeffrey M. Schwartz (Paperback - 25 May 2000)
6.99