5.0 out of 5 stars This book is truly a feast for foodies.
Lori Colwin brings a smile to your face and makes you laugh out loud as you read through her experiences of living and loving food.
The "homecooked" recipes,included in annecdotale format make you want to get into the kitchen and cook something wonderful to share with your family.
My copy of this book is dog eared with recipes I've tried and must...
Published on 26 Nov 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd one out
Published on 21 April 2008 by Kentish Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is truly a feast for foodies., 26 Nov 1998
This review is from: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen (Paperback)
My copy of this book is dog eared with recipes I've tried and must try.
This book is an excellent addition to anyone's collection, and a must for Foodies !

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 3 Jun 1999
This review is from: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen (Paperback)
This book is so much fun to read. It feels like you're in her kitchen, having a good chat with an old friend. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys food, cooking and/or entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast of a Book, 23 Dec 1997
This review is from: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen (Paperback)
I first read this terrific book about eight years ago and my copy is dog-eared and stained with "pure cane syrup," etc., as apparently are the copies of other reviewers. I read it when I need to feel comforted, consoled, uplifted, as well as when I need a recipe. On a disturbing note, I read on the back flap of a more recent book of Colwin's that she had passed away. I wrote to the publisher, saddened that we would never hear her wonderful literary voice again, but received no reply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made with love by ......, 5 Sep 2002
Lena Jensen (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
That's who Laurie was to me, someone who cooked for the love of it and for those she loved. I was first introduced to her work via the articles she wrote for Gourmet magazine quite some years ago now. It was only a short while after that we were shocked to hear of her death to cancer.
What a marvellous legacy though, for all of us to feel as if we knew her, if only a little. Her writing is uncomplicated but from the heart, full of passion and enthusiasm, it's impossible not to be taken along and find yourself wishing you'd counted her among your own friends. I would have done anything to share egglant in one of a thousand recipes, cramped in her shoebox flat.

4.0 out of 5 stars heart warming reading, comforting and funny, 29 Oct 2001
By A Customer
easy to eat up! i read it in a day. The recipies are short and simple. There arent volumes of them either. I felt they were probably truly her recipies, rather than masses of them which could have been picked up anywhere. Some parts had me laughing, her honesty about cooking and disasters in the kitchen was really refreshing. One story she tells of her husband taking a picture of something she made it looked such a disaster ! A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is one of my best friends..., 10 Sep 1997
This review is from: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen (Paperback)
I had read Laurie Colwins columns in Gourmet for years, and each time felt as though I had just had a great conversation with a friend. This book was, for me, pure luxury. I lived vicariously through her and her descriptions of her life in New York, her daughters first tastes of things, the search and sometimes accidental discovery of a truly delicious meal. I,too, always seem to find my way into someones kitchen, prefering to watch and peek and learn from someone than the usual cocktail or dinner party chat. I havegiven this book as a gift many times over. My own copy is dog eared and stained and worn from being read over and over....and over...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about cooking. Writes well and now I'm hungry., 8 Nov 1997
This review is from: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen (Paperback)
Here is a book by a writer about something she did in her non-writing time. (Unfortunately, the author has since died.) She writes well and describes horrific meals as well as delicious comfort food. A few recipes are included, but it is primarily a book about cooking. It's a great book to keep near the bed to read while you are eating a late night sandwich. The book can be picked up and opened to any chapter. The author writes about food in a fun way and makes something we all have to do from time to time (some of us more than others) interesting and motivating. I have to end now, so I can go make a sandwich.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Fabulous Book in the Universe, 1 Dec 1997
This review is from: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen (Paperback)
Laurie Colwin wrote a gem. It should be read at home, on trains, in airplanes, on the subway. It should be bought for loved ones, for brides and grooms, for parents and siblings, for best friends. It should have won the Pulitzer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd one out, 21 April 2008
I bought this book having read the other online reviews. I have to say, it was a grave mistake. I found it cloying and patronising in the extreme, and was profoundly irritated by the faux friendly tone. I gave up about three quarters of the way through and sent it to a charity shop. There are actually very few recipes in the book: it is mostly anecdotes, none of which I found amusing or interesting. Indeed the only one that has stuck in my memory is the writer's inability to make a Pond Pudding, which did nothing to enhance her culinary credentials in my eyes.

Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen
Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin (Paperback - 31 Jan 1993)
Used & New from: 0.01