5.0 out of 5 stars To women, and men, who wish to learn more about themselves.
I'll keep this short:
The book helps one understand why people do the things they do, feel the way they feel.
Published on 4 April 1997

1.0 out of 5 stars Judgemental wording left me with a feeling of unpleasantness
Published on 10 Nov 2010 by Tracey

5.0 out of 5 stars To women, and men, who wish to learn more about themselves., 4 April 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Women, Sex and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power (Paperback)
I'll keep this short:
I highly recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn more about themselves, and others, why we sometimes hang on to bad relationships, get stuck, how we can overcome our self-induced suffering, our perfectly human feelings we fall victims to, and become better people, with more self-confidence and self-understanding, and opening the door to happier lives spent with the right people.

Criticism: the author repeats herself a lot, which lengthens the book quite a bit. I'd overcome this by just breezing through it with a confidence that anything missed will be reiterated elsewhere, but I would fear this may make me miss something that is important and not reiterated elsewhere. (got that?)
In short, anyone suffering, struggling with what to do next, wondering if there's a way out, if there's a better life (relationship-wise), or just wishing to better understand one's feelings, this book is a must read. If you had to read just one book, take this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing books, 1 Feb 2001
By A Customer
I picked this book up over ten years ago, feeling that something just "wasn't quite right" in my relationship. It opened my heart to myself, my partner, and to the rest of my life through showing me the way back to treating myself like a person rather than a two-dimensional clone. This book may well change your life (and Kasl's other books on relationships are well worth a look too!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on the subject of addiction, for women OR men, 7 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I am in a 12 step program. (SLAA) I have almost 11 years of sobriety. This book is required reading for anyone that I sponsor, male or female. In my opinion, This book is the most important single thing I ever got in my recovery. It made me see that women are people too. That was a major break through. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever read, 19 Dec 2005
By A Customer
No kidding, this book changed my life when I read it in 1994. It opened my eyes to the power dynamics that were going on in my relationships and took me into the 12-step programme. Kasl also provided a very useful crit of the 12 steps, with insight into its patriachal dynamics. I managed to get on with my own life, instead of waiting for a man to rescue me or sort me out, and I was well placed to break my addictions. I keep returning to this book and finding new things in it. If you think you may have a problem with sex or relationships, read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for women with compulsive behaviour, 24 Feb 2009
This is a powerful book which I would strongly recommend all women struggling with any type of addiction / substance misuse to read for the simple fact that it is extremely dangerous to be involved in any relationship when under the influence / acting out your compulsion(s). I was brought nearer to death by my relationships with men than I ever was by a drug or drink and this book, although upsetting to read, shocked me into reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT! if your a codependant too dont be put off by title, 29 July 2010
i am so into how kasl illustrates recovery. i use this as a reference guide, its flexible and you can get some identification, read case stories which help you to relate then there are simple ways of dealing with your wayward emotional states, methods of changing your behaviour and a brilliant read as a whole. i would rate it 10/10 i have always been a pia mellody fan now i am both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Judgemental wording left me with a feeling of unpleasantness, 10 Nov 2010
Tracey (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
It's been a while since I read this book and I can't remember its contents in detail, but I do remember the constant feeling of unpleasantness it gave me while reading it. It's packed with judgements - implication of good and bad, correct and wrong - of the various cases and characters. There's also everywhere the author's sympathy for motherhood-related stuff, which I found irritating after a while.

I remember I thought that the book made some good points too, but I can't remember them - too diluted with verbosity. I couldn't be bothered to finish the book and it eventually ended up in the throw away pile during a home clear-out.

Women, Sex and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power
Women, Sex and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power by Charlotte Davis Kasl (Paperback - Jun 1990)
Used & New from: 0.50