5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out explanation into it's topic - wonderful!, 20 Jan 2005
Jay "BabyB" (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation (Paperback)
I cannot write much more than the review already written about this book, I'm not sure what compelled me to buy it out of 200 books on my wishlist consisting of feminist or religious issues this one for some reason screamed out to me over the others, perhaps it's the bright cover that did it!
I'm glad I bought this book when I did, I was never called a slut in high school, sexual rumors about me were always going around but I don't feel that it ever effected me, it is now as an adult attempting to reclaim my sexual self from a past case of sexual abuse amongst petty gossip in the adult world that this is beginning to effect me, and this book is a affirmation of how I feel about my behavior and my attitudes towards those who look down on me as a 'slut'.
I wish that I had someone younger than myself to give this book to, someone going through high school right now because I do think this is a fabulous book for adults and teens, it's not just about girls with a bad reputation due to sexuality either, it includes sociological and psychological observations about teen culture as a whole that makes it a fabulous book for teens. The book goes between the writers research on the subjects involved with this topic, research, case studies, interviews and wonderful real life experiences from a number of women from a number of different backgrounds in different situations. The real life experiences of the women who speak in this book is wonderful, it's not all down to the gritty bits, many accounts have explanations of where they were communing from as people, why others in their schools rejected them in the way they did. All accounts provide a valuable look back, where as some girls reading this may be in the thick of their poor reputation these are accounts of women who have come through them, showing the way and where teens sometimes go wrong in dealing with these situations.
It's neither too academic nor attempting to sugar coat the subject matter so it is approachable to a wide range of people, and discusses the subject in a serious way without being too heavy - although this said if looking to pass this book onto a younger women or girl I would say this book may be too heavy for someone under 14, the accounts would be perfect for a younger girl, however I feel that the research is perhaps a little too heavy for anyone younger and some of the things discussed may be a little too much for younger girls to comprehend. With that said another point I'd like to make in regards to this book being read by teens is that it's not patronizing, it acknowledges in every way that like everyone else teens are sexual, it does not scorn it, nor does it condone it, it acknowledges that sometimes girls make mistakes, sometimes their sexual encounters are not their fault and nor are they always positive, which I think is another important message in this book.
I do defiantly recommend it, the subject matter is of course not all that pleasant, particularly rape accounts of course, however on the whole this book is a highly intelligent explanation into use of negative terms such as this, the where's, why's, who's and what's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slut is great!, 12 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This book is amazing. I wish would've read this book when I was a freshmen in high school. I feel that if back then if I would have had the insight and knowledge that I have now after reading this book I would've been able to understand a lot more and actually done some good within the social realms of my high school. I wasn't labeled a slut in high school, but that's what Slut is about. It tells the heartbreaking stories of many girls of all ages, races and social backgrounds who were viciously victimized by the sexual double standard, which sadly still exists today. Tanenbaum explains the double standard, gives great points on why it's wrong it and then tells us what we can do about it. This book made me realize how much [ ] there is against women, still, even in the 21st century. I cannot possibly explain all the goodness of this book in only a few paragraphs. One of the best things about this book is that not only is it a great read, but it can also be used as a guide and a learning tool. I just ask you to please read it, and tell other (boys, girls, men and women) to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 4 May 2008
Wayne Redhart "@wayneredhart on Twitter!" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation (Paperback)
This is an extremely helpful book, that has done a great deal of good for my daughter Dawn's sense of self-respect. Never short on communal spirit, she was widely regarded as 'the village bike' for many years. Recently, I decided that it was high time for her to have a serious think about her lifestyle choices (after I received word that her reputation had progressed to that of 'the village tandem') and this book proved to be ideal.

Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation
Slut!: Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation by Leora Tanenbaum (Paperback - Sep 2000)
8.19