4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive mix of practicality, humour and inspiration
Published on 8 Jun 2007 by Mary McNeil

2.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't work for me
Published on 25 July 2012 by Katerina

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive mix of practicality, humour and inspiration, 8 Jun 2007
Mary McNeil (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creating a Life Worth Living: A Practical Course in Career Design for Aspiring Writers, Artists, Filmmakers, Musicians and Others (Paperback)
Billed as 'A practical course in career design for artists, innovators, and others aspiring to a creative life', there's a clear message right from the start that creativity can take a vast number of different forms. Simply assigning someone the label of 'creative' is a serious generalisation. Your version of creativity might be making art, teaching, generating ideas, inventing objects, interpreting music..... and Carol Lloyd is most helpful in encouraging you to understand your own unique brand of creativity.

The book begins with a section somewhat similar to Julia Cameron's Artist's Way programme - a process of search and research through your childhood desires, your timeless inclinations and present needs. From there it goes considerably further into the dreaming, planning and design stages for a new way of living. And on into the development of a down-to-earth action plan for your day-to-day life.

There's a chapter on the various kinds of day jobs which can support or undermine your long-term creative goals. Another on how to deal with indecision and competing interests. And one that asks you to analyze your current lifestyle and build a new model for your everyday creative process.

As a self-coaching tool this book is superb. I have learned much from it to enhance the life/creativity coaching that I do. So if you want to redesign your life in a way that will support and inspire your creativity, this is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, 27 May 2010
I can't praise this book enough... the only objection I would have is with the title - as a result of which, I felt that when reading it I was somehow suggesting to myself that my life wasn't worth living as it is. I was afraid my colleagues or family might think I was rock bottom if they had spotted me with my head dipped down behind the cover. It is a beautifully written book. Clear, concise and packed full of information. I loved the fact that it was based around case-studies. I found these to be so inspiring at times that I was hard-pressed not to go bounding from my seat to the easel before getting to the end of each chapter. I have to agree with a previous reviewer and say that this book is a more useful tool when it comes to the practicality of art-making than The Artist's Way, which I found to be more spiritual. All the exercises were well thought out and very achievable. I also liked the fact that this book acknowledges that an artist often has to make a living doing something else. As I'm married and have the added responsibilty of a mortgage it is not practical for me to quit my job and throw myself into my creativity at present. As a result of reading this book I have found a job that suits my art-making and my creative personality a lot better than previous roles. I look forward to the day that I am established enough to go it alone, without the weekly paycheck. I can quite honestly say that this book has changed my life and that I am a much happier person for having it on my bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically useful for anyone who thinks creatively, 6 Sep 2001
Kirsty Hall "kmhlamia" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
As an artist, I've found this book invaluable in helping me redefine my practise. It tackles nitty gritty subjects such as how to make a living whilst you're becoming established as an artist (actor/dancer/writer/inventor etc) as well as delving into the more mysterious areas of how and why we actually create. A really useful (and funny!) resource which should be on every bohemian Christmas list this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Artist's Way, 6 Jun 2007
Harman Hay (Nottingham , UK) - See all my reviews
This is the book that Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way should have been - for me. I found the latter helpful only in that it was a wistful stroll through What It's Like To Be An Artist, complete with a level of tenuous, airy-fairy metaphor that just became annoying. In contrast, Lloyd's book is down-to-earth and useful. Thank Elvis, this book actually gave me the practical details I need to build a life around my costume art.

Unlike the obligation to write, write, write displayed in Cameron's writer-biased exercises, Creating A Life Worth Living gives a series of options appealing to all kinds of artists. Exercises can be completed by a whole range of methods geared towards the visual artist as well as the logical, listmaking type, the spacial thinker and so on. The reader is encouraged to pick the method that appeals. And that summarises the whole feel of the book; it allows you to be one of a diverse range of creative types, or a hybrid of more than one, leaving the reader feeling freer and more validated. Whilst reading The Artist's Way I felt that I was walking a line, trying to keep up and stay with the program, this book was a much more expansive exploration - a romp through fields rather than a straight and narrow written path. And I dare say that even the writer would be well served by this more open approach.

Chapters are readable and fun, rather than the poetic treacle one must wade through in Cameron's book. They are relevant to our experience, giving us a practical framework within which to plan a career or a project and then build it from foundations to roof. The author uncannily reads back to us our own experience, making the reader wonder whether CCTV has been installed in one's house. Most fascinating and valuable of all are the interviews with successful artists, spread through the book, that ask all the questions you really want to know about - do you work from 9 till 5, or through the night? What does a day involve? Was success a struggle and then a big break for you, or something else? Do you trick yourself into working when you don't want to, or do you let it go and take a day off?

If you've read The Artist's Way in the hope of finding a real, treadable path through the life of an artist and were disappointed, I would say most emphatically that this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could well be what I've been looking for, 11 Mar 2011
I have read a number of good books about setting up on your own business Screw Work, Let's Play: How to Do What You Love and Get Paid for it and What Do I Do When I Want to Do Everything?: A Revolutionary Programme for Doing Everything That You Love but this book is different because it takes the idea of being a professional artist seriously. Its the first time I haven't felt that having a day job or or some other way of earning isn't copping out artistically. If you are artistically driven rather than entrepreneurial this book can guide you towards a life you actually want instead of trying to create a business you're not wholeheartedly passionate about. Work is a means to not being completely broke while you're building an artistic career. This books allows you to believe that you are a working artist even when your income is coming from other avenues - because it encourages you to fit work around you creative ambitions instead the other way around.

2.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't work for me, 25 July 2012
I began full of enthusiasm and appreciated that each chapter is designed to take a week to work through: this helped to keep up the momentum. I enjoyed creating an 'adventure book' and will definitely go back to the exercise about generating ideas. Exploring my original beliefs gave valuable insight as did the chapter exploring the different types of artist, which made a lot of sense of why different tasks/attitudes are supportive of, or downright inimical to, my particular creativity.

Carol Lloyd is a bright, lively and practical companion. So why didn't we get on?

I stuck with the program but as the weeks passed, felt that I was having to turn myself into someone I am not in order to make a success of it. She never really addressed how I might use the strengths and challenges of my particular artistic type to advantage in the workaday world. It was as though I could not begin from where I currently am. Nor did she adequately (it was mentioned, but not given sufficient weight) address resistance: not just the everyday reluctance and inertia but the deep-down under-lying stuff that potentially turns every creative sprint and marathon into a three-legged-race with a frightened and therefore uncooperative child.

Significantly, by the end of the book (and twelve weeks) I was doing less of my creative work than I was at the start.

It's certainly not a bad book, but for me it just didn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The quotes and interviews alone are worth the price:, 3 May 1998
By A Customer
Carol tells us "I discovered . . . . that I instinctively knew how to help [creative people]clarify what they wanted, navigate the vague terrain between vision and real life, and arrive at practical solutions." She is clearly gifted, and not only as a well-read writer and a counselor for those of us crying (for whatever reason) for creative focus. Buy this book if you have become serious about facing and dissolving your fears and blocks to the long and winding road of your unique creative happiness and life worth living.

5.0 out of 5 stars It sounds like a cliche to say "this book changed my life,", 22 Aug 1997
By A Customer
but the fact is that it did. Creating a Life Worth Living is a well thought-out, step-by-step manual that leads you to question your values, skills, goals and desires. Then it offers practical methods for setting priorities that help you to make substantive changes in your life. If you're willing to make the effort, this book can really make a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book to clear your mind and focus on your creativity, 23 Aug 2011
I have to say, this book really prompted me to get my arse into shape! Well written, practical and yet it allows you your creativity. Goes to show that creativity isn't just some woo woo idea where things must always be helter skelter for it to be considered 'art' or 'creative'. Nice easy to follow sections to get clear on what you want and then slowly achieve it. It isn't a pushy book with only one way to do things. But a book that allows there are all sorts of creative types and to each their own way of doing things.

I highly recommend it. And if you do get it, take the time to do the exercises! They're def worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be an artist to get something out of this book., 7 Jun 2011
Brizdaz (Brisbane,Australia) - See all my reviews
Loved it,and highly recommend reading it,whether you're an artist or not.
Do the exercises and read the interviews and it will give your life a deeper perspective,for sure.