5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for all parents!
Published on 12 Jan. 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very user-friendly
Published on 14 Dec. 2001 by Derrick

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very user-friendly, 14 Dec. 2001
Derrick (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook (Paperback)
I found the book 'Raising your Spirited Child' useful and helpful but did not find this work book very practical. It was mostly written in the setting of a class or workshop which made it ponderous to read. Although this was a very warm and personal approach it was just not very concise. I found there was too much emphasis on reasoning and adapting to the child instead of teaching the child to adapt. I realise that with spirited children a parent must be keenly aware of the childs limitations and that a little planning goes a long way in reducing stress. But I also think that a parent must be very careful not to go too far as to lower expectations and make the family child centered. You don't have to be your childs personal therapist in order to be a good parent.
This book does not cover the role of negative reinforcement which is so prevalent with spirited children who are misbehaving. Without this understanding we could not begin to address the issues affecting our own spirited child. For this I would strongly recommend any parent of a spirited child to read: "The Manipulative Child: How To Regain control and Raise Resilient, Resourceful, and Independent Kids".
This book does offer hope and encouragement which I guess we all need when struggling day to day with a demanding child. Nothing prepares a parent for dealing with a spirited child and they put every parenting assumption and technique to the ultimate test. Although my wife and I did not find this work book helpful for our situation, it does add to the first book which we found very helpful.
For our spirited child, the books "Ain't Misbehavin" by William P Garvey, and "Setting Limits" by Robert J MacKenzie, helped us the most. By teaching our child self control, it allowed the positive spirited traits to overshadow the negative ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for all parents!, 12 Jan. 2000
This review is from: Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook (Paperback)
I bought this book to give me ideas on how to cope with my very intense 4 year old. It presented a whole new way of looking at my daughter and her behaviour and was a huge help. More than that, it helped me to see that I am a spirited parent and gave me tactics on how to deal with me!! I read the book in 2 days, put as much as possible into practice, and almost immediately noticed a difference in 'our' behaviour. I have now lent it to a friend but will want it back as it is the sort of book to regularly turn to.

2.0 out of 5 stars More practical books out there, 13 July 2001
Derrick (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook (Paperback)
I found the book 'Raising your Spirited Child' useful and helpful but did not find this work book very practical. It was ponderous to read and could have been more concise. I would recommend the books, "Ain't Misbehavin", "The Manipulative Child", or "Setting Limits" for dealing with discipline issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read, 14 April 2010
Nathalie Fradin-Hood (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook (Paperback)
At last someone who understands my child (and me as a spirited adult, by the way) and offers practical strategies that work. I just wish this was translated and published in French so I could share it with the French-speaking adults in my son's life. I also wish the workshops were available in Europe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Book!! Great insight into this behavior problem., 23 Aug. 1999
This review is from: Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook (Paperback)
I read this book and was glad to find someone that understood what I was going through. She hits the nail on the head! I have referred back to this book several times. The author describes each sensory problem so that you can learn to understand and deal with these kids. It's a great book to have on hand and refer back to.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK SAVED MY SANITY! EVERY PARENT SHOULD READ IT., 30 Aug. 1999
This review is from: Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook (Paperback)
I thought I was the only one with a child like this. Thanks to this book, my daughter learned to cope with life and I learned to enjoy her company. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook
Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook by Mary S. Kurcinka (Paperback - Feb. 1998)