5.0 out of 5 stars It's All Too Much, 25 Feb 2006
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
George Harrison's 1968 stellar gem, "It's All Too Much" could be a description of sensory overload. "It's all too much for me to see...it's all too much for me to take..." describes the autism/Asperger's (a/A) experience.
If you are on the spectrum or know somebody who is, make this book your best friend. It does an exemplary job of explaining strong reactions to sensory stimuli. For example, I knew a very young child with Asperger's who, from infancy on always checked toys to see if they were soft. Hard toys were discarded and the child also complained about certain tastes and foods that caused "funny-bad" feelings and "felt nasty in your mouth" such as "lumpy potatoes" and "nasty ketchup." She also detested the smells of talcum powder and vinegar, saying they "were stinky" and made her "feel like throwing up."
That same child insisted on keeping her hair back in a ponytail because she didn't like the way her hair felt touching her skin. Her idea of punishment and hell was being forced to forgo the ponytail and suffer having her "hair getting in the way and making my skin itch," as she said. She also refused to wear certain things due to the level of discomfort they caused; preferred loose, comfortable clothing and, like everyone on the spectrum detested loud noises and cowered under tables upon hearing sirens. The child explained at 3 that "sirens make me hurt everywhere" and "jello is nasty - it shakes in your mouth; doesn't taste much so why eat it?" To this day, she finds jello repulsive.
This book is the voice of hope and reason. The child mentioned above at the time of this review has two degrees and is an expert in certain areas, one of which is Asperger's Syndrome. Imagine how liberating it must be to learn that these strong feelings don't separate you from your fellow man, but rather creates a bond with countless others who share them!
For anybody on the spectrum and for those who know people who are, be sure to read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars too loud to bright too fast too tight, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight: What to Do If You are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book. It is well written and easy to read. It explains how we function and how difficult life can be for the sensory defensive person. I have found it very useful in gaining a better understanding of how our sensory system works which has enabled me to apply this to my work on sensory circuits in a primary school. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too brilliant, 15 Nov 2011
S. D. Weston (England) - See all my reviews
I have bought at least six copies of this book and each time someone pinches it off me when they realise that it may have an answer for them. Reading this book was like reading a book that was written about me and after 30 years of trying to cope with how I felt, it was wonderful to have a book that explained how I felt. I have given it to my friends and family to read so that they can at least gain an understanding of what it is like to be a 'sensational' person.

Well written, empathetic and really useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 8 May 2014
Great book, easy to follow & very informative. I do not often buy this type of book. The format was good except of course it's American. I also bought "the out of sync child" & preferred this one. The other book ad the same information mostly.
Paid 12 delivery for 4 books which took 3 weeks to deliver by snail!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Feb 2014
This book explains sensory issues, which are often a misunderstood or unrecognised. An easy to read book explains the issues and ways to cope.

5.0 out of 5 stars best kept secret, 6 Sep 2013
This book is the best kept secret about how are bodies & mind learn from the inside out. The fact that most of it is now evidenced based allows you to see things in a different way and gives you tools to tackle challenging behaviors which can and must be supported by an OT. Wish I knew about this when I started helping others, esp kids. For me, a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading to understand yourself and others, 5 Jan 2012
This book was written for me. So many things were explained in a simple way. It has brought about a profound change in the way that I treat myself and others; I am more tolerant.
Before reading this book, I was always slightly, and often, very angry with myself for all the fussiness and for behaving, my family teased 'like the princess and the pea' fairy story.
Now I feel tenderness towards myself and that is really a lovely improvement brought about because I now have an internal understanding of my behaviour. I have softened my attitude and developed more respect for myself.
I am now reading this book for the second time and it's even better because I am less shocked by what I read. I intend to buy copies for family and friends who I know can benefit from the practical steps. I will also recommend it to my students. Thank you so much for writing it - my level of daily 'alarms' has dropped substantially and I am more centered and happier.

If you ever lecture on this topic I'd be happy to share my sad and now victorious story.

jacqueline.purcell@yahoo.co.uk