on 16 April 2001
Being a mother of 2 boys (6 & 7) I have often found myself in the vicious circle of shouting at them and then feeling guilty about it afterwards. I have read John Gray's Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and found some great insights. So when I found this book I hoped that it would provide me with some insights in helping me find a different way to get my children to co operate and it did. John Gray provides the reader with simple techniques that work. Not only that they make sense! So much so that you can apply it to other relationships in your life. I highly recommend it to anyone who is exhausted by the shouting and broken record syndrome!. Another book I can recommend it Why You Behave in Ways you Hate, and how to stop doing it by Irwin Gootnick. Very insightful as to why we shout in the first place!
on 24 February 2009
Once you get past the hamming it up repetitious American writing style, then you get to the message in this book, which is inspiring. It is a textbook, that you need to absorb and apply and refer back to repeatedly. You can dip in and out but I think will get far more out of it if you read it cover to cover, mark the pages you want to go back to again and reread it again until you've got it all in your head. It sets out a blue print for a style of interacting which creates happier more harmonious parents and children.
I particularly felt enlightened by the descriptions of different personality types and how each knows they are loved, and what style of parenting they respond best to.
on 1 October 2014
One of the best things as a parent, I have ever done is read this book! Simply enlightening and gives you so much more confidence in dealing with unruley children. I fully recommend this book to any parent or parent to be! With the government and the society taking away a parents discplining rights of old skool, I feel this book really does help to give you back control of your child in a stern and postiive way without having to spank your child. You're children will thank you for it when they are older, confident, kind and successful in their lives!!!
on 16 November 2009
Really good parenting book - wish I had had it many years ago - but it is never too late for change. I bought it when we had trouble with a teenager and it initiated new ways of thinking about our kids and relationships. It helped us to change as a family and improve matters somewhat. But these things only work when parents are also willing to change - so be aware.
on 28 October 2014
I find it very helpful and tried to use what he is suggesting although it takes a while to always get it right but works for me every time. Very happy and I know how it will make things easier for me as a parent.
on 8 October 2015
This book is life changing. You see things in a much better prospective as a parent of any age. I buy a copy and give it away when I meet anyone struggling with parenthood. A real blessing !
on 13 April 2014
Directive, instructive, compasionate. This book has it all, I can't stop recommending it to my friends. Best parenting book I've read
on 15 April 2009
An deal book for a starting parents also will be great to read for anybody having contack with kids. Would recomend it especially for thous parent who cant controle themselves.
on 7 April 2010
Just imagine if what John Gray says is really true? We as adults have much to learn about how to see children! I am sure we can
gloria in Sweden