on 25 January 2006
I was given this book for my birthday, once I picked it up I was unable tp put it down. Very interesting and insightful in allowing one to get to know oneself and others.
The book goes in to the seven goddesses charataristics: Artemis, Athena, Hestia, Hera, Demeter, Persepone & Aphrodite. Explaining how they are: strengths and weaknesses, as well as how to work with each one.
A must have for anyone wanting to develop spiritually!
on 5 April 2012
This is the book I didn't know I needed. I discovered it referred to in an article on the web and decided to order a copy. It is slightly dated, pub 1980, so some of its assumptions about women's lives no longer entirely ring true, but it is a profound, helpful and easy to read addition to the Jungian idea of the archetypes who inform our lives, whether consciously or not.

Reading it, I understood for the first time my teenage self, where some of the difficulties in my marriage came from and why I am now leading the life I am. It also initiated a sense of where I need to make changes and how to go about it.

Many reviewers have described an 'aha' moment reading the book - I had many. It felt like a key being turned in a lock and the door of self-understanding opening. If any woman is confused about 'who she is', this is highly recommended reading.
on 17 September 2000
This is the companion volume to Gods in Everyman, both are a mine of readable and understandable information for anyone wanting to follow the behest of the Delphic Oracle and "Know Thyself". I would go so far as to say that one volume isn't complete without the other because both the feminine and masculine archetypes are found in all of us.
Through these books and with the use of the stories of the mythical Greek gods and goddesses Jean Shinoda Bolen helps us to identify the many facets of personality and the stages of growth we all go through. She gives guidelines to help us offset the more negative traits of the personality aspects she explores, she warns us of the ruts we may get stuck into and what might precipitate a mid-life crisis. She also gives us an insight into the ups and downs of the parental and romantic relationships each predominant god and goddess type might have. She doesn't confine "romantic" to hetrosexual relationships either.
Both volumes are a "must have" on the bookshelves of anyone interested in personal growth and/or seeking to understand the driving forces in men and women.
on 3 February 2013
I read this book when it first came out (in the '70s I think) and revisited it in the early 90s, and now again in 2013 - and each visit brings more insights and enjoyment. A book that stands the test of time and I think it will be useful to anyone of any age who are interested in personal development, guided by elegant 'Goddesses' set out in Bolen's book.
on 19 January 2008
The read is easy, enjoyable, fun and extremely insightful - Bolen's excellent way of relating Greek mythology with Jungian archetypes not only proposes a new way of interpreting them, but also warns the reader about consequences of occasional extreme patterns of behaviour and encourages acceptance and balance across our own many active archetypes through life. I also suggest Gods in Every Man - you are guaranteed to want to carry on this reading with the male focus of her follow up book. Both are an essential for both women and men, highly recommended!
on 10 April 2015
Fascinating understanding of human archetypes. Not new-age, but the science of psychology. You will learn a lot about yourself. Get gods in every man too. Profound stories you will never forget because they relate to your life right now.
on 18 March 2013
I was recommended this book and must say it has helped me understand my weaknesses. I now call pon my favorite Goddesses in certain situations and they do help.
on 25 March 2015
A really interesting take on female archetypes. Gives great insight into relationships and why they work or are difficult.
on 31 August 2014
Brilliant - as always Shinoda Bolen gets it right.
on 17 March 2015
In very good condition, interesting book