Published on 10 July 2007 by soloflight

3.0 out of 5 stars Baffled but battling on
On page 103 where Hillman says "Again, what is hard to realize is that all the persons [in the dream], including myself may be taken as masks playing our death roles." After first thinking how great this sounded I wrote in the margin: but what does it mean? I'm still not sure whether it means anything in fact.
Coming to the end of the book, I am still baffled what...
Published on 5 Jun 2005 by anthony9008

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only James Hillman Book which tells you How to resolve the Psyche, 10 July 2007
soloflight (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dream and the Underworld (Paperback)
James Hillman has written many books mapping the psyche. Having read most of them - and also this one - I would say this one particularly tackles a framework of how to resolve the psyche PRACTICALLY - through dreams. Chapter 5 focuses on this. And it is workable. It worked for myself and my wife, and was the first real step in beginning to move beyond the ego: how to use your personal dreams to do so.

Thank you, James Hillman, for being the only psychologist in my life (and I have read many many) to show me how to move beyond myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars On the way to Soul, 30 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Dream and the Underworld (Paperback)
First and foremost, James Hillman is a "Champion of Soul," responding appropriately to the everlasting question: "What is a man profited if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" How is one to "retrieve his/her soul?" Obviously, we need help to do so; hence, Jung and Hillman, and others, such as Marion Woodman, not to mention Joseph Campbell, William Blake, Robert Graves. One might even gain great insight from reading M. Esther Harding's classic: WOMEN'S MYSTERIES. They all come together eventually for the serious soulseeker. To sum up, quoting Hillman, "Dreams mean well by us," in spite of their appearance to the contrary; they are designed to dissolve the interfering Ego, the Ego that would deprive you of your true Happiness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Baffled but battling on, 5 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Dream and the Underworld (Paperback)
Coming to the end of the book, I am still baffled what his point is. I think he is saying that we shouldn't interpret dreams, just let them be. And while this is a valid viewpoint, why bother writing a book about it, as most people don't interpret their dreams anyway?
Like about book about how you shouldn't read books, a book giving an interpretation about how you shouldn't interpret maybe doesn't need reading.
It sounds profound, and I am still uncertain whether it is and I'm just missing the profundity. However, there are also lots of books by people about "Lightbodies" and "Truth Vibrations" which ultimately boil down to being nonsense, despite their apparent profundity.
I like his poetic style though. Maybe he missed his way.

The Dream and the Underworld
The Dream and the Underworld by James Hillman (Paperback - July 1979)
8.31