Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on 25 September 2012
I have just finished reading this, and sadly I don't feel it's one I will read again in a hurry, & I'm not entirely sure why.

I actually really liked the heroine's character. Annabel's firey & warm hearted, if at times a little over zealous, but I think the trait suits her very well. Her initial meeting with Simon Blackwell doesn't go very well at all, and she decides she doesn't like him, but after being caught kissing him, they have a hasty marriage before leaving for Simon's home in Yorkshire.

But Simon secretly harbours pain and guilt over the loss of his family 5 years earlier, and decides his marriage to Anne is to be in name only. It took a long time for him to tell Anne about his past, & while I understand it must have been very difficult for him, it seemed to take forever, & I wasn't turning pages eager to find out what had happened.

It all seemed a rather drawn out process if I'm being honest. Anne's determination to make her marriage work is admirable but I just don't think this story was for me.

I read another review by someone else and they really enjoyed it, having laughed and cried. I chuckled a few times but it certainly wasn't as intelectually funny as "Lord of Scoundrels" by Loretta Chase for example.

In summary, I can't see myself reading it again, I thought the plot was a little slow, but the characters were likeable. I think it's a personal preference book, and if you do decide to read it, I hope it's more your taste.
on 31 December 2007
I thought the book was great. I think the author gradually developed Simon and Anne's relationship rather than things happening so suddenly. This book made me cry and smile. Its a really great read and I highly recommend it to others!! I'd also recommend reading Tino Georgiou's bestselling novel--The Fates--if you missed it
0Comment7 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse