on 6 August 2014
I haven't read anything by Jared Diamond that I didn't enjoy. Sometimes I think he is a little too dogmatic in applying evolutionary explanations to every aspect of human behaviour. Is it not possible that drinking petrol is simply an example of stupidity? Still always readable, enjoyable and thought provoking. Throughly recommended.
on 28 February 2011
There is no real over-arching theme to the book, which amounts really to a survey of several aspects of human evolution. Each topic is nevertheless dealt with in a thorough, objective and thought-provoking way

After detailing an excellent account of our genetic ancestry, (hence the term `The Third Chimpanzee'), subsequent chapters explore accounts, from an evolutionary point of view, of : differences in sexual life cycles and behaviours of various primates (including humans); ageing ; language; art, and the use of intoxicants.

Drawing on his well established expertise as an academic `popular geography' writer, Diamond describes geographic hominid spread, and the establishment of agriculture.

His subtitle is `the evolution and future of the human animal' and he ends his book with compelling in-depth looks at the two greatest human threats: Genocide and Environmental Exploitation.

A worthwhile purchase for an overview of any or all of the above topics
on 2 November 2015
I love all this authors work and especially loved this book. Jared Diamond creates a strong and consistent narrative that pulls a number of intriguing arguments together. I thoroughly recommend.
on 24 September 2015
I bought that for my daughter who is going to study anthropology in next 4years. She said, it's a very interesting book and if you are into anthropology you must read it.
on 1 January 2015
Excellent survey of human development, surpassed by Harari's "Sapiens", but still engaging and vivid - confident exposition of the environmental problem we face.
on 13 November 2010
I'm not one to read alot of books, however books such as this that are scientific and non-fictional occasionally catch my eye. It took me about a week to read (me being a slow reader) and by the end i wanted to read it again. Bets book i've read, and i think EVERYONE on the planet should read this before being allowed to do anything else. 5/5, 10/10, BUY IT
on 3 July 1997
An excellent read, insightful in its exploration of our origins and possible destiny. While our intelligence gives us an advantage, it is still only a survival trait, and very much a double edged sword. The sort of book more fundamentalists and politicians should read. Alas.
on 28 March 2015
Jared Diamond tells us with full knowledge and modesty who we are, what kind of living species is humanity, and where we are heading.
on 16 December 2001
One of the best books that I have ever read. Jared Diamond's writing style makes subjects such as evolution so accessible. This is a real Tour de Force that everyone should read.
on 29 January 2015