5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!
I've just finished Bel Canto and logged on to buy more Ann Patchett. I wasn't intending to submit a review until I saw some of the negative ones here! So what did I like about the novel?
Firstly, Patchett can write. She can also control a novel's development. After 50 pages I was being drawn in but also resenting the focus seeming to be solely on the hostages...
Published on 21 Sept. 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars No magic for me
I had never heard of Bel Canto despite it being short listed for the Orange Prize for Fiction, nor had I heard of Ann Patchett before this was chosen as my Book Group Book of the Month. As I do every month, I ordered a used copy of the book from Amazon and couldn't wait to make a start.

I quite often find I read my monthly Book Group book too quickly so that by...
Published 22 months ago by Lucy Literati

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps, 2 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
Rarely do I reach the end of a book and feel that I could read it again straight away. This is one of those rarities. It moved me to tears, gave me goosebumps and brought a smile to my face... all at the same time!
Strangely reminiscent of Louis de Bernieres' South American trilogy, Bel Canto is rich with the smells, sights and sounds of South America, combined with the beauty of opera, love and unspoken camaradarie.
Highly recommended, especially to those who enjoyed Louis de Bernieres and Rose Tremain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
Really not sure what all the fuss one, a book group read for charity shop donation. The ending was unsatisfactory.

1.0 out of 5 stars It just goes to show how different tastes are.., 23 Mar. 2004
Giles M. Smith (Zurich, CH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
Take a look through all the reviews for this book and you will see a clear distinction. Those who love it and those who hate it. Under the circumstances I would normally steer clear of such a title, but having it recommended to me and being interesting in Latin America fiction. I decided to give it a chance. How I wished I hadn't. Quite simply, the story is basic, improbable and with shallow characters. If you know anything about the Americas, enjoyed books like 'One hundred years of solitude' or Louis de Bernieres South America trilogy or Allende's work or anything else intelligent or well researched, give this little magazine worthy title a miss. On the other hand if you don't believe me - go for your life... don't say you weren't warned!

2.0 out of 5 stars ... not read more than a few pages - it bored, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
I could not read more than a few pages - it bored me

1.0 out of 5 stars Go to spanish class, Ann, 19 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
A compilation of stereotypes. An awful grammar mistake in spanish. The most stupid ending I read in a long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressive, 9 Mar. 2010
D. Oakley "The Escapist" (North-West, England) - See all my reviews
Didn't 'Grip' me. Didn't fulfill the description given by the book that we use for reviews at our 'Book Club'. The ones who had read it (4 in total) thought it ok but unimpressive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music!, 9 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
I did like this book, very much, although at times the prose made me feel I was wading through treacle. I loved the music, I found the characters generally convincing, and I thought the ending was inevitable. Surely no one could believe that government (or any other) would just let them all go? The Epilogue, to me, was quite logical, after all they'd been through and remembered, where would they be without each other? As to its lasting, that's another matter.

1.0 out of 5 stars What pap!!, 16 Aug. 2002
A. Neilson (Bearsden, Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
The most boring book I have ever read. I persevered to the end expecting greatness as my husband raved about it. One major spelling error - how did this get through after it being shortlisted for an award and it actually got one!! I found the characters predictable as was the ending up - to the epilogue! This itself was completely unbelievable! I won't give it away in case some poor soul wants to actually read it, but come on - after all the "literary" work on developing these characters - why the ludicrous ending?? Dreadful. I usually read a good book in two days - this took me over a week to read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Large print, 11 Sept. 2014
The book was large print not expected

1.0 out of 5 stars A big No,No!!, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
Read this book as my bookclub. I fit was not for that i would have ditched it. Really long winded!! and really boring.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Bel Canto
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01