4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing thoughts -
Taking on scriputes difficult texts is a brave deed for any christian. Bishop Spong does so head on, shows their place in history and gives hope to those who are willing to look at the Bible from a liberal viewpoint. For me, he gives it new credibility. Somewhere along the line, you may have to review your beliefs. I found that to be long overdue in my case...
Published on 9 July 2006 by C. Ferrer

3.0 out of 5 stars No references or full quotations.
No references or full quotations Bishop Spong does not write for anyone wanting to know where he found his information .
Published 11 months ago by David R Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing thoughts -, 9 July 2006
C. Ferrer (France) - See all my reviews

On the downside, at times I feel the bishop rushing things, I question his thoroughness in exegesis, so I would not recommend this as an only commentary of the Bible or the said texts. But as a part of a biblical students library, it's essential reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep going!, 14 Jan. 2013
S. Harrington "Suzie C" (Brighton, East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love (Paperback)
This is a great book, I didn't agree with absolutely everything Bishop Spong has to say, but it is certainly a book to make you think about the effect certain passages in the Bible have on the way we view things and respond. On the down-side I felt that the first few chapters seemed to be re-hashing the same point, but actually there are subtleties which it is worth persevering to get to. As with all the books by Spong, which I've read, I would advise caution about who you recommend reads this, it is challenging and could possibly damage someone's faith if it is shaky, or if they're in a vulnerable place faith-wise, but if you're up for really thinking and moving your stance, read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 29 April 2013
A very stimulating read. Bishop Spong intellectually attacks the damaging dogmas of the Christian church by challenging the very passages that those dogmas are (wrongly) grounded in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Labour of Love, 11 April 2009
George Redelinghuys "Art lover" (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
This is the book I have been waiting for all my life and I regret that it was not available 50 years ago.It ties up all those lose ends about theology that have plagued my mind for too long now. It is life-affirming and gives hope for a brighter future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The great author of this book tries to give us the ..., 28 Mar. 2015
Raymond (01-Gex, France) - See all my reviews
The Hebrew prophet Ezekiel in Babylon and the Christian Church during the last 17 centuries have certainly not assisted us to be tolerant and generous, humble and sociable. The great author of this book tries to give us the lesson to learn how mankind can live in peace and with love. If we don't listen to him, our civilization will collapse.

3.0 out of 5 stars No references or full quotations., 7 May 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars John Spong's interpretation of Bible scriptures is completely wrong and ..., 30 Oct. 2014
John Spong's interpretation of Bible scriptures is completely wrong and his evidence used to support his claims that are based on an incorrect interpretation are virtually non existent.