Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 September 2010
As a young girl I grew up watching Little house, but never got around to buying the books. Now much older I found I have time to catch up on all the things I missed when growing up. This set of books are a wonderful collection. They are beautifully written and illustrated. Any one young or old will enjoy them time and time again.
on 14 February 2005
As the 'Little House' books need no introduction by me, I am reviewing only on this particular collection. Contained in the collection are: 'Little House in the Big Woods', 'Farmer Boy', 'Little House on the Prairie', 'On the Banks of Plum Creek' and 'By the Shores of Silver Lake'. Because I didn't know which books were in this collection, I inadvertently bought a second copy of 'Farmer Boy'! The paper quality is very good being white instead of the more usual off white/yellow! The illustration are lovely and in colour and appear to be the same balck and white illustrations found in the old Puffin editions that I have (and which are now falling apart. The Puffin books cost me between 25p and 75p - those were the days! A very good buy for anyone.
0Comment|193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When I was in second grade, my teacher introduced our class to 'Theu Little House On The Prairie' books. We loved this series. We would wait impatiently everyday for the next chapter to be read. I wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder, and since I was a very good reader already, I went to the library every week, and I read the entire series.

Now, my granddUghter is reading 'Little House', and, of course, watching the TV series. We talk about the tree out west, the log cabin with one room, the loft, the meals Ma cooked in the fireplace and then the stove. Laura is our favorite, but Ma and Pa and the rest of the family are close seconds. This all occurred in 1867, and we followed the family and their covered wagon to the Midwest. We watched as Laura and her family grew, the new baby, Ma and Pa's adventures. The new teacher, the schoolhouse, the store, the family who lived there, and all the citizens in and around their hometown.

Laura marries Alonzo Wilder and starts her own family. We were with them, all the way. The births, the deaths, the blindness, the hurts, the good and the bad times. Laura Ingalls Wilder was real to us. She was a snippy, intelligent, driven child, and we wanted to be just like her. Such a good role model. I intend to read this marvelous series to all of my grandchildren. My children read the series, and I hope this continues into perpetuity.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 12-16-13
on 2 February 2010
The Laura Ingalls Wilder books are absolutely lovely, but this printing makes them feel like school books... in a bad way... and the coloring just feels/looks wrong... I purchased the 9 book-box set from amazon.com for my children after I received this, and this 5-book box set will be lent out to the public in my café instead...
on 6 January 2010
I bought this for a grandmother who wanted to rediscover her childhood. Mission accomplished. Excellent quality paper and binding - beautiful illustrations and the stories stand the test of time admirably.
on 27 December 2014
Lovely boxset, a bit infantised in my opinion, but seemed like the only available set of these books on amazon! Still nothing wrong with it at all and made a lovely gift .
on 29 January 2011
I Sent this to my GT Nehew and Gt Neice in uk.they are 7 and 5yrs,They love the stories.Good Presant and Got there very fast.I was very pleased all around.
on 11 September 2007
there are NINE books in this series - why do they sell a box set with only FIVE books in it?
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2013
This was bought as a gift for a 26 year old woman. She told me they are VERY child-friendly (a little more than she had bargained for) but she ejoys them nonetheless.
on 10 September 2015
This is a delightful version of the Little house stories. My granddaughter is a proper old fashioned little girl and she loves the pictures. Not a cartoon in sight