5.0 out of 5 stars There Is Some Kiss We Want
Published on 22 Aug 2005 by Brian Douthit

3.0 out of 5 stars ?
I ordered this book, however, the pages were not good quality, all various sizes and messily cut at the edges.
Published 9 months ago by sophia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is Some Kiss We Want, 22 Aug 2005
This review is from: Rumi: The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing (Paperback)
Coleman Barks once again translates the words of Rumi with respect, good nature, a bit of humor, and a deep understanding of this 13th century mystic and poet. A renowned poet and something of a mystic himself, Coleman Barks leads us through his book as a constant and caring companion. He begins each chapter with his own touching stories, guidance, and expert explanations for the material he lays out. One simply cannot come away from this book without having some sincere appreciation for the devotion and dedication Coleman Barks has for another poet's words.
In "Rumi: The Book Of Love: poems of ecstasy and longing", we are led deep into the regions of the soul, where love is both Universal and Divine. It is a love that beckons us to shed our own image and concepts of ourselves, in exchange for a love that is so vast and joyful, its eloquence can only be experienced rather than explained.
How can we know the divine qualities from within? If we only know through metaphors, It's like when children ask what sex feels like and you answer, "Like candy, so sweet." (88)
Rumi seems to realize mankind is comprised of many faiths, and he mentions many of them with dignity and respect. Yet Rumi's own experience takes him beyond religion, even his own. He often exchanges the word "God" with "Friend", and refers to himself and others who have achieved his enlightened state as "Lovers".
Rumi's words and sublime wisdom ring true for us, as he shares his knowledge of the God-Friend in a both Universal and personal message. We are extremely fortunate to have the poetry of this selfless and compassionate mystic reach us through the fragile, and often forgetful, span of time. Because through Rumi's poetry, we seem to hear our own soul's call and longing to gently open like a beautiful and fragrant flower, and laugh with a tender and colorful sweetness.
There is some kiss we want with our whole lives,
the touch of spirit on the body (33)
~Brian Douthit
author of "Perfectly Said: when words become art"

5.0 out of 5 stars Rumi: The Book of Love - Poems of Ecstasy and Longing by Coleman Barks, 7 April 2010
Jane (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I have several books of rumi-s magnificent poetry, awe-inspiring...great ...wonderful ....works of art in every word and vivid pictures he paints. Rumi-s books seems to inspire so many people to write so much about his works ...like the poet himself, although wrote many words .....Kept his philosophy simple. So I will try.

It is more comprehensive than some of the other books, who just give one verse snippets from the longer poems; a snap shot of delights they may be but frustrating if you want more. This edition supplies a little more. A wonderful book offering, a little of something for everyone but still not the complete edition I was looking for......

My only grief and it is a small one, is that I cannot share the full version of my favourite poems with friends when reading aloud.....Especially Zuleikha and or the these wonderful lines from A great wagon.... (The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you - don't go back to sleep...you must ask for what you really want -don't go back to sleep. ) for example are not included?.....That said I still recommend it ... There are other pearls on offer to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lord of poetry, 15 July 2011
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumi-the Book of Love (Hardcover)
I am enamored of this book for within a few pages, my eyes can see these poems are alive. Rumi, the 13th century Sufi master, has found his modern vocal through poet Coleman Barks - I can't read the original language but from those translations I found the poems to be poignant, vital and awakening. This book is divided into 22 chapters of ecstatic readings with Mr. Barks commentaries preluding each section initiating a discourse where a diverse of poems are included. In the discussion of "Sohbet", regarding the retreats where poets dwell and the jobs that poets do, Emily Dickinson's celestial lines are quoted:

"...
Of visitors, the fairest.
For occupations, this:
The spreading wide my narrow hands
To gather paradise. (11)"

The Lord of poems is no mystic to those who've experienced epiphany. His words have escaped the time and the restrictions of death. Such poems are enlightenments:

"QUIETNESS
Inside this new love, die.
Your way begins on the other side.
Become the sky.
Take an ax to the prison wall.
Escape. Walk out
Like someone suddenly born into color.
***
The speechless full moon comes out now. (33)"

My sister sent me this gift of poetry on my birthday and whatever she wishes to say is well-expressed by this BOOK OF LOVE.

3.0 out of 5 stars ?, 29 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Rumi: The Book of Love- Poems of Ecstacy and longing, 28 Nov 2012
Bought this for a friend of mine going through a horrble breakup...lots of wonderful insightful and moving stuff...totally gorgeous. She was very pleased with it. The condition was a little shabby though considering it was classed as 'new'

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful poetry!, 3 Jan 2011
An amazing gift for someone you love or a great purchase for yourself. Philosophical, funny, sincere, melancholic, joyful and optimistic - Rumi never fails to evoke the emotions!

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor introduction to Rumi, 1 July 2014
Peter Dinan "merlinscot" (scotland) - See all my reviews
Poor translations and uneccessary personal stuff from Coleman. Much better to go to better quality translations of Rumi without someone elses opinions and inputs. Reading Rumi is an incomparable mystical education in itself as his spiritual guidance is always active and available.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...., 9 May 2014
This was a resent for the girlfriend, I have not got much of a clue on what this book is about but she liked it. So if you looking for a review on the books litriture quality you may have to look else where. I'm eat wing this one high as it made her happy so it did what I needed it to..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Translations of Rumi, 23 Mar 2014
Without doubt, Rumi is the greatest mystic poet the world has ever known. The more we get good translations of his amazing poems the better. The only reason that I have given these excellent translations less than the full marks is that when I compare the translations with the incomparable originals I feel that there is more than can be done. However, I strongly recommend this book to all the lovers of Rumi, Persian poetry and mysticism

5.0 out of 5 stars Love poetry, 6 Feb 2014
Another book of love poems? Yes, but with a twist of Rumi, who makes it all his own. Some very beautiful verses.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rumi: The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
Rumi: The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing by Coleman Barks (Paperback - 1 Jan 2005)